SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m going to start a couple years back - 2015 to be exact. I had just gotten a job in outside sales, and my car allowance covered the payments on an ‘04 S60R in Sapphikap with the M66. Wonderful car to spend hours a day in making sales calls. It also let me get some overdue work done on my ‘89 780 Turbo, which I sold only a few moons later. In June of 2016, some lady (who was probably high) t-boned the R, with my family inside.
With some of the insurance money I bought a lovely red ‘01 V70 T5. After two years, 30k miles, and a refreshed top end, I sold it to finance a 2008 C70 in Celestial Blue over Calcite.

And then, after barely a year of ownership, some kid (who was probably high) rear-ended me on I-5.
I wasn’t too upset, as it had 135k on it and stuff like shocks and struts and CV joints and wheel bearings were all failing.

04.26.19 by gtlover42, on Flickr

Naturally I start shopping before I even talk to the insurance adjuster. My wife wants another Celestial Blue and I’m inclined to agree. Not only is it a lovely color on these cars, it wears dirt well. I’ve owned too many black cars, thankyewverymuch. And I find a potential gem in Palm Desert, a year newer with half the miles. I talk them down to my budget, arrange the financing, and plan a flight down during my wife’s Spring Break (she’s a school bus driver).
After a delightful stay at the Casa Larrea Inn, we go to pick up the car. Aside from a couple minor things that you’d expect on a 10 year old car, everything checks out fine. We sign off, call USAA, and point the grille in the general direction of San Francisco. Then, about 10 miles down the road, as we’re about to get gas, the oil light comes on. Dipstick still shows full up. But she doesn’t want to start up, with no apparent cause. It finally fires up, no CEL, so I shrug and drive to In-N-Out. At which point it overheats. The culprit seems to be a cracked overflow tank (I’ve seen this movie before). The Auto Zone a mile down the road has one, I top it off with premix, head down the road and swap it out with minimal muss or fuss.
Problem solved we continue westward. At about the exit for 29 Palms the temp gauge starts dancing between normal and pegged. I pull off to cool it down and top off the rad, thinking I just need to burp the baby. My wife snaps a pic.
4.11.19 by gtlover42, on Flickr
We limped it to Cabazon and waited for the tow truck to take us back to Palm Desert. Did I mention this was the night before Coachella?
The dealer stepped up, arranged for replacement of the head gasket, and took us to the Choice Suites.. Rented a Hyundai Elantra from the fine folks at Enterprise and drove back to 98092.
Tonight, this was fresh off the trailer when I got home:5.16.19 1 by gtlover42, on Flickr
5.16.19 2 by gtlover42, on Flickr

2009, T5, Auto; 65,250 miles. Bluetooth, XM, spare tire, tinted windows.
We shall see how this turns out on tomorrow’s commute.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
great story!

one of the benefits of owning and knowing a car welll is not freaking out if there’s a problem- but here’s to many happy problem free miles for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
“Adventures suck when you’re having them.” - Neil Peart

Once the dealer said he’d pay for repairs, that took a load off.
Still had to deal with finding a room the night before a massive festival and then paying for a rental car.
But, pretty much everybody we met was really nice, even before we told them what was happening. It was also interesting how many of the people we bumped into in SoCal were also from the PNW.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First commute and no overheating, no CEL! Definitely runs stronger than the old car, and I'm sure part of it is engine mounts and suspension parts that are 70,000 miles younger.
Going to plug in the OBDII dongle and monitor with DashCommand on the way home.

Does anybody know if the pre '09 master window switch can be retrofitted? I liked being able to work all the windows with one button.

Yes, mods are planned, as soon as I can afford them. iPd air filter and GoVo ECU spacer will probably be first. Taping up the intake silencer tomorrow, and thinking about doing the headlight bezels in silver. Also need to replace the radio antenna as some careless oaf bent it; it works ok but doesn't look quite right.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
glad the dealer took care of it...one of the (few) benefits of buying a used car from the dealer.

great bang for buck are definitely the ecu spacer, ford e-focus mount and new spark plugs... for safety, i'd highly recommend at minimum replace the stock h11 halogen bulbs with modified h9 (used in high beams) bulbs. $15 and a world of difference. doing the headlight retrofit to e46 HIDs is the next step up and about $150-200 (approx $100 for the e46 and another $100 for a decent hid kit). didn't feel safe driving higher speeds at night until i did the upgrade. fun/nice to have is definitely the mods4cars smartop module -- can just walk up or walk away to lower or drop the top, customize the passenger side mirror to angle down during backup for easier parking (almost makes up for no backup camera). for additional power, it's a bit pricey, but an ecu tune rocks. all my mods are in my sig.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all my mods are in my sig.
You've been a bad influence on me. Between everything you've done to your C70 and what people like MNIWT have done to other P1 cars, I've been working on a list for awhile.
The old car had some deferred maintenance I had been working on from day one. Nice to be out ahead of that stuff, save up in advance for upgrades when it comes time to replace. Need to update my Row52 notifications too, maybe get some lucky finds at PnP.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did a quick cheap mod: pulled the intake silencer, chamfered leading edge, applied aluminum tape to perforations, replaced intake silencer.
Easily worth .227 hp (a 0.1% increase) and maybe 3 dB. Pulling the rear hood seal next so I can hear a bit more of that lovely 5 cylinder as I go through the gears.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did a quick cheap mod: pulled the intake silencer, chamfered leading edge, applied aluminum tape to perforations, replaced intake silencer.
Easily worth .227 hp (a 0.1% increase) and maybe 3 dB. Pulling the rear hood seal next so I can hear a bit more of that lovely 5 cylinder as I go through the gears.
I really like that color,
What is the benefit of taping the intake silencer and how does one go about doing that mod

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I dig it too - it’s like the poor man’s Grigio Alloy.

If you look at the rubber elbow on the turbo inlet, you’ll notice a ribbed section. Inside is a plastic tube with a few rows of strategically placed holes. This arrangement helps absorb intake noise, but also creates some restriction.
Part of why aftermarket intake pipes improve airflow is the elimination of the silencer.
The cheap mod is to remove the tube (which takes some work); chamfer the leading edge; cover the holes with aluminum tape, and reinstall tube into elbow. This will increase airflow a smidge, and also increase the intake noise. Simply removing and discarding the tube will make some additional noise but will also noticeably reduce performance.

I wound up putting the hood seal back on as most of the time it didn’t affect the engine noise much but definitely introduced more hot air into the cabin air intakes. Not good in slow traffic on a warm day. Gonna have to save up for the Snabb intake pipe and probably get the EST touring cat back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: The head gasket blew out. AGAIN.
Over the last couple weeks, I noticed the coolant was low. Topped it off and started looking for leaks. Got a couple of sporadic misfires but chalked it up to old plugs. Last week, I finally saw a visible puddle forming under radiator - aha, it's a loose hose or a bad end tank. No overheating so I top off the overflow tank and keep an eye on it.
Driving home friday it started misfiring horribly, followed by lots of smoke out the tailpipe. Started tearing into it over the weekend, found coolant in #4 and #5 cylinders. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly inspect the head, but the gasket was definitely compromised. Again, no overheating (this time!)

Yes, the head gasket was replaced like 6 months ago, so the possibilities are:
1. The shop just poured in a bottle of Blue Devil and called it good. Which I doubt given how long they had it, and the fact that there was non-OEM sealer under the valve cover and all the seals look fresh. Not seeing any signs of a liquid fix-all.
2. The shop screwed something up. And that is possible - anything from reusing the head bolts to incorrect torquing procedure.
3. The head didn't get surfaced as they claimed. I'll check it with a straightedge and feelers anyway.
4. The gasket was defective. Being as the dealer paid for the work "under warranty" I'd believe they cheaped out on parts.
5. Block sealing surface isn't true. Not sure how that would happen but I'll check it too.
6. Just plain bad luck.

The failed gasket leads me to think it's not a cracked head, block, or cylinder. Any of those would give head gasket failure symptoms, but the gasket should be the last thing to go, not the first.

Anyway, I've got a box of genuine Mahle seals and fasteners on the way. Fingers crossed it was just a random defect. Oh, and since I've got the air box out I've ordered up an ECU spacer too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't have anything constructive to add but that's some bad luck there!

Is there any way to tell what brand the gasket is? Do you have any pictures of where it failed between #4 and #5?

Looking on the bright side, it was running for the 2 weeks prior when we had that nice dry stretch here! Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s the failure point on the HG. I checked the head with a straightedge and a .002” feeler. It’s dead flat and I can see the marks from fly cutting. Block also looks good. As far as I can tell it was either a crappy install job or just a random failure. Also found a missing exhaust manifold nut; the stud shows evidence of attempted removal with an easy out. I’ll attack it with an extractor socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Based on the state of the stud it sounds like quick and sloppy work. At least it’s yucky out now so you aren’t missing quality driving time.

Here’s the failure point on the HG. I checked the head with a straightedge and a .002” feeler. It’s dead flat and I can see the marks from fly cutting. Block also looks good. As far as I can tell it was either a crappy install job or just a random failure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for sharing! Based on the state of the stud it sounds like quick and sloppy work. At least it’s yucky out now so you aren’t missing quality driving time.
Yeah, but full garage + inclined driveway = work at the curb. In the rain. Heck, a couple years back I had to do a head swap on my V70 in the snow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: Its alive!
I was all set to button things up and call it good last weekend. As I'm connecting the last of the hoses I see a little vacuum line on the turbo and wonder, "where does this go and why is there a broken plastic hose barb in it?". Yeah, broke the TCV. And didn't realize it until 45 minutes after the parts counter at the dealer had closed. Oh well. Got a shiny new Pierburg unit in the mail and finished up last night.
Fired right up, no CEL (took about 30 minutes to clear all the residue out of the exhaust). Drove to work just fine today but still checking for leaks.

Can't really say yet if I feel a difference with the ECU spacer, though I immediately noticed a smoother idle having replaced the plugs.
Next up: OEM replacements for the NAPA replacements for the axles, and probably new motor and tranny mounts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
** UPDATE **
Past 2 mornings I got misfires on #5 cylinder. Coolant level was low. Same symptoms I got in the days before the last HG failure.
Not sure what I'm going to do besides keep an eye on it for now, aside from pouring in some magic juice and praying for a miracle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ouch, good luck with that. Ours had a blown head gasket under thd PO but they replaced the entire engine as it had overheated. A Volvo genuine gasket and head bolts this time?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ouch, good luck with that. Ours had a blown head gasket under thd PO but they replaced the entire engine as it had overheated. A Volvo genuine gasket and head bolts this time?
I used a Mahle gasket, don't recall on the bolts but not the cheap stuff. I need to check all the other connections first, but I'm wondering if there's an issue with the block. No misfires today, so I'll continue to watch the coolant level and hope for the best.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After further exploration, found weeping around the coolant lines on the turbo. And a loose connection on the vacuum line between the intake manifold and intake pipe. All seems to be well at the moment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts