SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the factory size fitment for the 240 series Virgos was 195-60-15. But how wide can I actually go without making the sidewalls too sloppy, but still be able to have a good laugh in a tight corner.<P> I am also interested in finding out if anyone has recommendations for a good manufacturer to go with. I am a Michelin guy, but if there is a tire that anyone has had great experiences with, I may consider that.<BR> With the temps warming up, I want to play and I need something to play in, and a good set of play shoes is on my want list.<P> kowalski<BR> 1992 240GL<BR> No Dodge Challenger yet though.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
205 is as wide as I would go. 215 might work, but only with a short and stiff sidewall. My dad uses 215/60/14 on 14x6 wheels, and the sidewall really bulges over the outer face of the wheel. The grip is great, but the rolling is noticable too. 225 on a 6" wheel would only work well with race tires (really hard sidewalls).<P>205/60/15 will give you the better traction from a wider tire, but it will also give a softer ride. Not the best choice for good handling.<P>205/55/15 seems like the best choice. Nearly identical in diameter to the stock size, and it performs well if you get a good tire. With a higher speed rating, the sidewall can be quite stiff.<P>205/50/15 is shorter than stock and it would look funny on a 240 with stock springs. I'm using this size in a V rated tire, and I can't tell a difference in ride quality from my previous 205/55 Z rated.<P>As far as recommendations, I really like Bridgestone tires. Kumho is a great buy, and Falken and Dunlop have both come out with a great performance tire lately. It all depends on how much tread life you're willing to give up for traction.<P>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts