SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a dozen or so threads for this. However, this thread is for budget minded owners that want a simple and inexpensive solution to lighting.

STOP HERE: If you can afford a good set of lights. I suggest you visit NJGreenBudd's thread on fog/driving light installs, he’s kind of a genius with that.

Starting off in backstory. My 2001 S60 doesn’t have fogs, I didn’t even bother calling Volvo of Keene for a quote because it’d be $600 in parts before I got started. I’ve never been satisfied with the light output of the S60’s stock bulbs. I put PIAA Night Techs in it all around, which helped slightly.
In the middle of September I got caught in a huge storm and realized my lights were completely underpowered. So, I decided to go to Advance Auto Parts and get a set of cheap fogs. I paid $12.00 for the lights which come with a full fused power cable, toggle switch and all the mounting needed.

This is SMAllen’s installation thread for the $25.00 lights.

Tools Required

- 10mm socket and wrench to ground the lights to the body of the vehicle

-One set of Blazer International 55w Halogen Fog/Driving lights from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-RE774C...=1416261290&sr=8-3&keywords=blazer+fog+lights

Phillips head screwdriver to attach mounting hardware to lights

1-2 hours of time

- The toggle switch provided is low quality, and comes in a bulky housing thats a bi**h to remove. I bought a second one without a light for $4.25 at AutoZone

- 1/2” Drill bit and a power drill. The kit comes with adhesive strips if you don’t like the idea of drilling into your car (I don’t blame you)

I bought some extra wire and connected the switch into the panel in the climate control unit. Alternate mounting spots are pretty limited if you’re an obsessive compulsive like me.

Future plans are a second set of the same lights behind the grill.

Lights Installed on 2001 S60 at either side of the license plate.

Light Switch Installed in the center binnacle next to the Valet Lock button.

Since I've had these installed for a couple months, I'm not taking them out to re-install for a thread. It's easy. If I get around to a guide, I'll make it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i had this same setup (adjusted for what they had in stock back then) on my very very base 95 855 5 speed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a picture I found of what it looks like to install fog lights behind the grille. Not bad..if you have the aftermarket grille.
I'm not trying to make my car look like a tuner, because it's not. I like my setup. It's clean, economical and very effective. A Set of Hella 500's is $90 and they often don't come with the wiring.

·
Registered
139 Posts
what i did was buy a cheap set of fog lights then sourced oem housings. I fitted the backing of the cheap fog into the oem housing siliconed it all and wired them up . Worked amazing, looked oem and you couldnt tell they were $30

Before

After

Lit

·
Registered
151 Posts
^that looks good. do you have a link to more photos of your car, mpilotz? also (threadjack) how are the KW coils?? do you have v1 or v2?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
@op get the depos on ebay and put them in the hole where they belong, they come with the bulb, you already got the wires.

if you look around in streetview around sweden you will see the aux lights in front of the grill are a common sight

·
Registered
139 Posts
^that looks good. do you have a link to more photos of your car, mpilotz? also (threadjack) how are the KW coils?? do you have v1 or v2?
no not really dont post too much on here just lurk, plus shes gone now RIP. the coils were v2 and not worth it

·
Registered
224 Posts
no not really dont post too much on here just lurk, plus shes gone now RIP. the coils were v2 and not worth it
I'm sorry to hear she's gone. I keep seeing people obsessing over getting coils but they just aren't worth it if you don't take your vehicle on the track frequently.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Years ago, I took inspiration from njgreenbud for my older s60, can say yes it was a long day to get these mounted correctly behind the grill. There's nothing wrong with what you did, and definitely cheaper than what I spent.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
there is an oem kit which attached to license plate 30772053

just google search "extraljus s60" for some interesting variants

swedes do it right

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm getting the Volvo OE Driving light kit. I really like it and the install is beyond easy. For slightly under $300 you cant go wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts