SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ps That upper bushing is iPd's not from QBM. I'm replacing a yellow PowerFlex one which I don't like for the fit and the results: It's a bit floppy and sloppy.

Thanks Greg. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: Thanks QBM! Can't wait to get these installed. (StaggRLee)

Joe, Could I trouble you for a demonstration at the upcoming driving event (assuming you get these in by then)? I'm going for the upper engine mount and would like to do a mini-overhaul of the other misc. suspension/bar goodies on my car.

- Tryg

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Thanks QBM! Can't wait to get these installed. (RainyS60R)

Sure thing Tryg. Hope to have them in by then.

I'm going to do the XC90 axle bolts and brake air guides at the same time.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Quote, originally posted by StaggRLee »

Thanks Jim. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Why the heck would you sell them in sets of SIX?!? (enough to cover 3 rod ends) when all cars have FOUR!?!?

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

Do you already have the rear and lower engine mount?

I didn't get them in time to have dealer do them, and I don't have time to do them myself in the near future.

Being honest with myself, I don't know if I'll ever get around to it. Kinda burned out on the whole mod thing, mostly because I don't get to enjoy my car anymore.

IM or e-mail me, I'll eat the shipping from UK and sell them at cost.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Thanks QBM! Can't wait to get these installed. ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »
...I don't get to enjoy my car anymore.

I hear you. If all you have to look forward to is the occasional onramp.
Me I just spent an hour in 1st gear.
If that's where I spent most of my time, a Yugo with a decent stereo would be fine.

Went ahead and installed the new upper bushing and the brace mounts took all of 20 minutes from lifting the hood to washing my hands. Top notch quality from QBM right down to the instructions. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

My first impression is very positive. There is no "Did this do anything or not?" doubt and I didn't notice any vibration. Smoother shifts for sure and there is a pronounced difference in the "feel" of the car. Much better than the PowerFlex strut pretensioner bushings. Time will tell...

What I can say is avoid this like the plague:

You can see where the shoulder and meat of the bushing has started to shear after <5k. Here's what the fit was like:

Here are the 'after' photos:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The top of your strut is sticking up, is it supposed to?

BTW, the mods look great and will likely be my next additions.

I am thinking about the mod "burn" to, now being back in the US and driving snail speeds. However, those bushings likely bring a better "feel" regardless of the speed.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Re: (Britspeed)

has anyone pulled off the blue EVOLVE bushing to see how it holds up over time? they advertise them as lifetime parts....but i wonder if overt ime they will wear....the wear would be so slow that you wouldn't really feel it...yiou'd have to replace it or remove it to see any damage...

you did the QBM strut bar ends and end links? was the purple engine bushing you added supposed to be more or less stiff than that y ellow one you had..and is that yellow one simliar in stiffness to the EVOLVE bushing?

i'm wondering how much the change was due to the bushing, and how much was due to the QMB parts?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
you did the QBM strut bar ends and end links? was the purple engine bushing you added supposed to be more or less stiff than that y ellow one you had..and is that yellow one simliar in stiffness to the EVOLVE bushing?

i'm wondering how much the change was due to the bushing, and how much was due to the QMB parts?

Didn't install the end links yet. The iPd bushing is definitely much harder, I'd compare the yellow one to stock and I think it is inferior to that. The sleeve is too long and there is side-to-side slop. It also lacks the interlocking faces of the iPd provided one. Never really had a good look at an Evolve one so I can't guess how it compares.

The change is definitely due in some significant part to the better upper bushing but the strut mounts are a large contributor too. The strut bar and mounts are now effectively a single unit and a much better improvement than the loopy aluminum VST add-on bar at about 1/4 the cost.

The placement of the stock mounting brackets between the towers is probably more optimal than aftermarket bars that tie the tops of the towers together too.

Oh and Brit, that's normal for the strut to peek up a bit, or at least seems so on my car.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Re: (StaggRLee)

Didn't install the end links yet.

Can't wait to see your response on them.

The change is definitely due in some significant part to the better upper bushing but the strut mounts are a large contributor too. The strut bar and mounts are now effectively a single unit and a much better improvement than the loopy aluminum VST add-on bar at about 1/4 the cost.

How is the response in the steering wheel. Did it create a more tight feel or a better response in the turns?

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: (KillerB)

Just the 12mm IPD front end links improved my steering feel, I already had the black evolve and the strut brace pre-tensioners, don't know that they did anything. Someone pointed out that the QB front end links are even sturdier than the IPD, but no first hand knowledge, looking forward to Stagg's review.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: ("R" Kelly)

Wow, nice pics of the IPD engine bushing! My Powerflex bushing looks the same as yours (loosey goosey) and the IPD one is actually a LOT cheaper than the powerflex one as well..

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: (cschmelz)

Quote, originally posted by cschmelz »
Wow, nice pics of the IPD engine bushing! My Powerflex bushing looks the same as yours (loosey goosey) and the IPD one is actually a LOT cheaper than the powerflex one as well..

I pressed an alloy sleeve inside the mount to get rid of the play on the yellow bushing.
Made 2 large alloy "washers" to push the fluffy ridge to the mount.
Appeared to do OK that way, softer that the purple bushing, less vibrating noise inside the car.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »

I pressed an alloy sleeve inside the mount to get rid of the play on the yellow bushing.

That is probably a good fix. The PowerFlex sleeve is too long and the bolt cinches down on the sleeve too soon leaving the bushing floating in the mount.

With a shorter sleeve, and the washers to distribute the force, the bushing should expand under compression to fill the mount and eliminate most if not all of the slop.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (KillerB)

Quote, originally posted by KillerB »

Did it create a more tight feel or a better response in the turns?

Yes. The first real corner that I took at any speed - a big sweeping ramp that I take daily at about 60 when I can - it felt like I had turned in too soon and too hard and the response from the wheel took me a bit by surprise. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: (StaggRLee)

Hey StaggRLee, is there any considerably increased engine vibration with the QBM strut bar conversion kit? I have the blue Evolve engine mount and it's already made a significant change in engine vibration. Also, do you have upgraded sways and is that why you got the front end-links? Is there any reason to get the end-links if I have a stock suspension? Also does anyone know if there would be any downsides to just adding the QBM strut bar conversion in a stock suspension?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (PhilUp)

Quote, originally posted by PhilUp »
Hey StaggRLee, is there any considerably increased engine vibration with the QBM strut bar conversion kit?

No not really much over just the engine mount upgrade is my guess but I installed that and the bar mounts at the same time.

Also does anyone know if there would be any downsides to just adding the QBM strut bar conversion in a stock suspension?

No downside and its effectiveness is in reducing body flex - which it will do just as well with stock suspension. Bars and link ends (and springs) contribute more towards reducing body roll and determing the "balance" of the car.

Also, do you have upgraded sways and is that why you got the front end-links? Is there any reason to get the end-links if I have a stock suspension?

I have an iPd rear and stock front. The end-links should stiffen both the stock front and the upgraded rear to the same degree. This should leave the balance as "neutral handling" as iPd intended but decreasing body roll even further.

I expect that that the front end-links won't affect steering feel all that much but should help increase responsiveness.

I put them in today and we'll see when I get some miles on them.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts