SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Jared is spot on. I will do P Zeros as the car originally came with them.

But Collin, I am with you, I am a huge fan of Michelins and if I were to drive this car thats the route that I would go.

No need to buy super expensive tires only to be flat spotted and etc. Thats the main reason why the BF Goodriches are still on the car even though they bug the heck out of me :)
Yeah I was going to say....it bugs me seeing those in the pictures lol

I honestly don't know what I would buy right now if I was in the market for a set of UHP summer rubber. The PZ4 PZero isn't available in 17, nor have I been able to find any of the super sticky Vredestein stuff available here in 17. Importing Powerproof might not be cost-effective at the moment. I won't touch Continental tires; too many bad experiences. So that pretty much leaves PS4S and the old PZero as the last options standing. The lower price and 220 treadwear of the PZero gives it some appeal since realistically we're going to kill these tires on age not miles, but I think the PS4S is probably the better tire. Other problem with the PZero is it's not available in 215/45, which is the size to get. 205/45 is special order only at Tire Rack now. I guess I'd go 225/45 if it were me and I was buying PZero, because they can actually be had and you won't bend a wheel the first time you go over a pothole. Having now driven 30k+ miles without issue on Titans over some pretty terrible roads, I believe Volvo's tire size choice was a bigger problem than the wheels.

For actually driving on, I love my zLine AS. Sticky enough for public roads, $400/set, quiet, rides nice, and I'll probably get 30k miles out of them....if I actually manage to drive that much before they've been in service for 5 years.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can you fit a 225 on volans? Or just 215. I’m paying to get these straight so the more tire the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Yeah I was going to say....it bugs me seeing those in the pictures lol

I honestly don't know what I would buy right now if I was in the market for a set of UHP summer rubber. The PZ4 PZero isn't available in 17, nor have I been able to find any of the super sticky Vredestein stuff available here in 17. Importing Powerproof might not be cost-effective at the moment. I won't touch Continental tires; too many bad experiences. So that pretty much leaves PS4S and the old PZero as the last options standing. The lower price and 220 treadwear of the PZero gives it some appeal since realistically we're going to kill these tires on age not miles, but I think the PS4S is probably the better tire. Other problem with the PZero is it's not available in 215/45, which is the size to get. 205/45 is special order only at Tire Rack now. I guess I'd go 225/45 if it were me and I was buying PZero, because they can actually be had and you won't bend a wheel the first time you go over a pothole. Having now driven 30k+ miles without issue on Titans over some pretty terrible roads, I believe Volvo's tire size choice was a bigger problem than the wheels.

For actually driving on, I love my zLine AS. Sticky enough for public roads, $400/set, quiet, rides nice, and I'll probably get 30k miles out of them....if I actually manage to drive that much before they've been in service for 5 years.
Good points! I did not know 215s were not available on PZeros. I am wondering if 225 will look just too beefy / wide.

I have no idea what Volvo was thinking by installing 205s on these cars.

Now, what am I going to do about those OEM valves??? They actually look pretty close to modern cars with TPMS. What is on my BMW is close enough and may be I will score some used ones from my BMW dealer since I would not care about the electronics portion at all.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Good points! I did not know 215s were not available on PZeros. I am wondering if 225 will look just too beefy / wide.

I have no idea what Volvo was thinking by installing 205s on these cars.

Now, what am I going to do about those OEM valves??? They actually look pretty close to modern cars with TPMS. What is on my BMW is close enough and may be I will score some used ones from my BMW dealer since I would not care about the electronics portion at all.
225/45 will work and shouldn't look too far off although it'll depend somewhat on the sidewall profile. I'm used to tires with pretty squared off sidewall profiles which helps a lot.

Whichever of my 850s needs tires next is probably going to get 225/45 if for no other reason than there's higher turnover in inventory and it'll probably get me fresher rubber. That was a big issue for my T-5R; I put new 215/45 zLine AS on in November that I think were from 2018. Not thrilled with that but my PZero AS+ getting old and hard and I had a road trip to take so I had to do something.

Looking at my 215 Nokian sidewall profiles, I think 205 would be shading towards looking stretched. 225 I bet would look fine. With my PZero AS+, I remember the bead being set farther in on a slightly straighter sidewall.

zLine AS:

Powerproof (don't hate on my missing rivets; the bumper is coming off again so I can paint it lol):

I know I'm kinda throwing random info into a vacuum right now so hopefully you can get something useful out of this.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Can you fit a 225 on volans? Or just 215. I'm paying to get these straight so the more tire the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I found this in my archives....a random Volan I have with a 225/45 AS3+ on it. Not a great angle for the discussion at hand but maybe it gives some info. I think I still have this loose and could dig it out and take better pics if anyone is that curious.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 · (Edited)
Some quick updates as I have been really busy with car stuff lately.....(it just never ends and I am not complaining). Volvo has not moved an inch since I installed everything back in and she is due for her annual 300 mile interval oil change :) So this is non-Volvo content

I was so happy with the body shop that painted Volvo's trim, I decided to tackle a little project that I have been ignoring for years now, years! = The MINI!

See back in 2002, I did not believe in paint protection film (PPF) and naturally did not install one on the MINI when we got her (Longest Vehicle that stayed in the stable) and that was a big mistake on my part.

Her front end, bumper, trim pieces are really exposed to the elements and get pitted very easily and our car was no exception. Front looked like it was sand blasted and filled with chips. She looked great from a distance but as you get close, it was obvious and I had to do something about it.

The problem is, she has bunch of trim pieces (grill, grill upper trim, grill lower trim, bumper trim, lower bumper trim, hood scoop, stripes, side arches & etc) which all had to be removed. Then she went on her merry way to the body shop for a refinish. After paint was cured but before anything was installed, I had to protect the paint with the latest and the greatest paint protection film and then install everything back. I was dragging this project bec of body shop coordination, new parts (STILL waiting for some pieces) and taking her to my PPF guy while the car was still in pieces, then put everything back together on top of PPF so that no one can tell there is PPF on the car. -You do all of this if you suffer from serious OCD.

Of course, I ordered brand new trim pieces from washer jets to headlight surrounds to all undercarriage plastic pieces that were scrapped over time. Front of the MINI is brand new at this point.

All of that took a while and she is almost done after 3+ months of work. Here is some pics of the progress........ I promise I still have some projects for the Volvo.

You get the idea from this picture

Evertthing that will be replaced are removed and she is headed to body shop & I took measurements of the stripes for future reference

This was a sad scene as this spot is almost never empty

But her new replacement parts continued to arrive

A week later she was back & her 1st wash before installing everything back on (I am sure the process sounds familiar by now)

New turn signals going in

Up on jacks for rest of the install and undercarriage detail :)

Almost there

I am currently waiting on upper grill trim to show up as it has been a challenge to locate the correct part.

As all of this is happening, my neighbor informs me that they are trading in their 2004 Land Cruiser that they bought new for a new Tesla Model X. I am not going to mention the funny trade in price that Tesla offered but lets just say, I was happy to match Tesla's offer and now I have another project to work on.

I have no intention to keep this thing but I always wanted one. The plan is to fix everything, dial it in, drive it for a while and sell it before winter.

Some pics after my 1st quick wash and getting rid of those hideous wipers.... (I really can not stand when people install those ugly things on older cars)

Correct Toyota OEM wipers back on

Let the detailing begin!

It has some service needs before I do a full exterior detail but thanks to Covid and constantly not traveling for work, I seem to have time for these projects. Otherwise, most of it I would not even consider undertaking during regular times.......I do miss the regular times though and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
I cannot fathom what my neighbors would think of you and the habits, attention you give. I have toned WAY back in the last 25 years but they still think I am extreme. I think I have decently clean cars and then I visit this thread and I am so unworthy. SO unworthy!

Nice work, man.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I cannot fathom what my neighbors would think of you and the habits, attention you give. I have toned WAY back in the last 25 years but they still think I am extreme. I think I have decently clean cars and then I visit this thread and I am so unworthy. SO unworthy!

Nice work, man.
Thank you and they did not want to sell the Land Cruiser to me as they thought it wasn't anywhere near my standards and were shocked when I went over with a check. I had to convince them it was a project car that I was looking fw to working on. They are not car people so they don't get it. But what I like about the whole thing is that it was bought and serviced at the same dealer all of its life with an open check book. It really doesn't need much besides the fact that it sat in their other homes garage for last 2 years. So I have to do the fluids & timing belt due to age.

Believe it or not, I am toning it down big time. What I did to LC, in 2 weeks would of taken me a day to do back in the day. Now I am taking my sweet time to do the trunk area one day, back seat the other and leather cleaning at a different time.

I hope the bug never goes away..... I have been doing stuff like this almost past 30 years now. Garage is my safe / therapy place for sure.

PS: Your car always looks amazing!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Carpet stripes I approve of but Mini ownership is a massive NO...
My wife has owned hers for 10 or 11 years now and it's done 61k
I hate the thing, They should be banished from the earth, the original Mini was a pile of poo and the new one may be slightly more reliable but the suspension is horrible

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Ted if you ever run out of projects I'd happily send any of our toys to hang out at your place for a few months LOL.

The cars and boats are my safe space. We have way too much going on in way too little space here to have any hope that the house will ever be tidy, so I just channel that energy into the vehicles to create my own mobile safe spaces.

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
It's red...That's why, but thanks! You don't see what I see and you'd for sure NOT say that if you looked at it in person, but I love it and that's what matters! Coming from you though still makes my day.
Thank you and they did not want to sell the Land Cruiser to me as they thought it wasn't anywhere near my standards and were shocked when I went over with a check. I had to convince them it was a project car that I was looking fw to working on. They are not car people so they don't get it. But what I like about the whole thing is that it was bought and serviced at the same dealer all of its life with an open check book. It really doesn't need much besides the fact that it sat in their other homes garage for last 2 years. So I have to do the fluids & timing belt due to age.

Believe it or not, I am toning it down big time. What I did to LC, in 2 weeks would of taken me a day to do back in the day. Now I am taking my sweet time to do the trunk area one day, back seat the other and leather cleaning at a different time.

I hope the bug never goes away..... I have been doing stuff like this almost past 30 years now. Garage is my safe / therapy place for sure.

PS: Your car always looks amazing!

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
I think the priority of car vs house is always something I had because it was NEEDED as a tool for all other aspects of weekly life. In the last year that flipped on its head. I should look back and see how many real miles I drove the VR since March 2020. That’s likely about to change some as work is finally calling us back to my dismay.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,805 Posts
The Land Cruiser is a nice acquisition. We had one for 8 years. Loved it. Great road vehicle; but, it loves to drink petrol. That is the only seat I have found that comes close to the long-distance comfort of a Volvo. That one looks to be in very good condition. Good color combo. If you have the room, you should consider keeping for a year or two and enjoy it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Carpet stripes I approve of but Mini ownership is a massive NO...
My wife has owned hers for 10 or 11 years now and it's done 61k
I hate the thing, They should be banished from the earth, the original Mini was a pile of poo and the new one may be slightly more reliable but the suspension is horrible
John, She LOVES LOVES her MINI and it is not going anywhere. I shall also admit that it is the only car that I got car sick while I was driving! Changing the wheels & tires helped the ride quality tremendously.

It is a fun weekend car for sure and nothing more.

Carpet stripes = Guilty as charged :)

Ted if you ever run out of projects I'd happily send any of our toys to hang out at your place for a few months LOL.

The cars and boats are my safe space. We have way too much going on in way too little space here to have any hope that the house will ever be tidy, so I just channel that energy into the vehicles to create my own mobile safe spaces.
Consider it done! It would be super fun.

The Land Cruiser is a nice acquisition. We had one for 8 years. Loved it. Great road vehicle; but, it loves to drink petrol. That is the only seat I have found that comes close to the long-distance comfort of a Volvo. That one looks to be in very good condition. Good color combo. If you have the room, you should consider keeping for a year or two and enjoy it.
It is a great cruiser for sure but 12MPG in city is bit ridiculous IMO.

I will see how I feel about it once we dial it all in. I am completely open to keeping it a little longer if I really bite the LC bug.

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
I'm seeing your stable is growing even more, potentially. ;)
You better get another rack/direct-lift for the other side!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
I'm seeing your stable is growing even more, potentially. ;)
You better get another rack/direct-lift for the other side!
I thought about it but that would make the garage pretty useless besides storage. That is the side where I actually do all the work.

I got rid of the 911, I probably won't lease another BMW as it looks like we are not going back to the office and LC is a temporary addition.

But I agree with you, who am I kidding.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
I got rid of the 911, I probably won't lease another BMW as it looks like we are not going back to the office and LC is a temporary addition.
Sounds like my fleet lol, only having toy cars. Even before covid I almost never had to drive in connection to work.

Consider it done! It would be super fun.
Let me know when you get bored! ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Ok guys, zero updates on the Volvo and it still has not moved an inch since its been up on the lift. I need to change the oil and go through the tank of gas thats in it. I also will install a new fuel filter as the original one is still in there as it is covered by undercoating.

But recently between the Car & Driver article and the latest somewhat sad Jalopnik article something caught my eye.

Both the Volvo NA car and Jared's wagon have a gray coolant reservoir cap in the pictures. I know the green cap replaces the gray one but does anyone know the part number for the cap these cars came with? My research indicates that the part number for the gray cap is 1357390 and the green cap is 9445462 but I am not certain.

Before going on a wild goose chase I wanted to ask the question. See below pictures from the articles for reference.

Any leads to find the correct cap would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
The grey cap was still with the car when I got it. It should be here somewhere. I'll take a look around for it when I have a chance.

161 - 180 of 210 Posts