SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Great memory! That's Teeter and Jeremy (Exexpat)

I think you are thinking about this pic which is still my Avatar in all the other forums :)
Shoot, I was close! haha

Yesss, that's the photo. :) Ah, good times. I don't think anything will ever be able to replace the OG prime times of VS.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Shoot, I was close! haha

Yesss, that's the photo. :) Ah, good times. I don't think anything will ever be able to replace the OG prime times of VS.
American disposable culture and derailment of quality internet content by the American facebook crowd almost precludes it from ever happening again here, but the good times still roll in Europe. But then you would know that just as well as I do from your trip to Sweden. This was two years ago in the Netherlands and, from what I hear from my friends there, the scene was still trending up when Coronavirus derailed everything. There are currently more T-5Rs registered in the Netherlands than were originally delivered there :eek:.

·
Registered
865 Posts
American disposable culture and derailment of quality internet content by the American facebook crowd almost precludes it from ever happening again here, but the good times still roll in Europe. But then you would know that just as well as I do from your trip to Sweden. This was two years ago in the Netherlands and, from what I hear from my friends there, the scene was still trending up when Coronavirus derailed everything. There are currently more T-5Rs registered in the Netherlands than were originally delivered there :eek:.

To echo what Jared said, I went to Volvodrive Treffen last year for the 25th anniversary of the T-5R and it was WILD. There were definitely more yellow estates there than exist in the USA. This picture shows SOME of the T-5R turnout

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
To echo what Jared said, I went to Volvodrive Treffen last year for the 25th anniversary of the T-5R and it was WILD. There were definitely more yellow estates there than exist in the USA. This picture shows SOME of the T-5R turnout
I think I would of gone nuts if I were there.....

Also, I don't know guys, I think things are changing and gatherings are now turning into Cars & Coffee type of events. There is a Swedish car show here in Seattle at least once a year, my neighborhood has Cars & Coffee every Saturday during Spring & Summer and the place where I store some of the cars do Cars & Coffee every Saturday and Bikes & Coffee every Sunday. (of course all pre Covid)

But yes, nothing like a good forum gathering like we used to. Those were really fun and we all knew each-other quite well.

Story will continue......I promise.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yup! It's a bit disappointing to see when people scoff at the price of super clean Rs in North America. I always tell them that the enthusiasts across the pond would gladly pay that price and take them home. Hell they even buy the cheap ones here and take them home to restore.

I love the pride that they have for the R cars. I got to hang with the NordicR group at Vallåkraträffen and it was awesome to see their love.

Even the regular P80s were all super clean.

I think I would of gone nuts if I were there.....

Also, I don't know guys, I think things are changing and gatherings are now turning into Cars & Coffee type of events. There is a Swedish car show here in Seattle at least once a year, my neighborhood has Cars & Coffee every Saturday during Spring & Summer and the place where I store some of the cars do Cars & Coffee every Saturday and Bikes & Coffee every Sunday. (of course all pre Covid)

But yes, nothing like a good forum gathering like we used to. Those were really fun and we all knew each-other quite well.

Story will continue......I promise.
Yeah, Cars & Coffee shows are becoming the popular thing here too. We do have one or two big Volvo shows in the summer but everything else is either a Cars & Coffee meet, or a morning breakfast meet at IKEA here and there.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Yup! It's a bit disappointing to see when people scoff at the price of super clean Rs in North America. I always tell them that the enthusiasts across the pond would gladly pay that price and take them home. Hell they even buy the cheap ones here and take them home to restore.

I love the pride that they have for the R cars. I got to hang with the NordicR group at Vallåkraträffen and it was awesome to see their love.

Even the regular P80s were all super clean.

I just sold some parts to a guy in the Netherlands who has imported three CY sedans from America and two 850Rs....and currently working on a third. 🤣🤣. One of the other guys I know in the Netherlands imported a Platinum sedan and estate a couple years ago and has a US market Cassis V70R, although I don't think he imported that himself.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I just sold some parts to a guy in the Netherlands who has imported three CY sedans from America and two 850Rs....and currently working on a third. 🤣🤣. One of the other guys I know in the Netherlands imported a Platinum sedan and estate a couple years ago and has a US market Cassis V70R, although I don't think he imported that himself.
I think if I was in Europe and looking to import a car, I'd look to Japan for selection. You might pay a little more, but they are usually are so clean.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
I think if I was in Europe and looking to import a car, I'd look to Japan for selection. You might pay a little more, but they are usually are so clean.
They drive on the wrong side. Some LHD cars there but very few.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
They drive on the wrong side. Some LHD cars there but very few.
I have been going to Japan at least once a month for about 10 years or so (don't ask) and most of the P80 R cars I have seen around Tokyo have mostly been LHD. There is some sort of a weird exception they get over there for European cars. It is almost a "prestige" thing to drive a LHD car. Most of the "high-end" luxury cars & exotics are all LHD.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have been going to Japan at least once a month for about 10 years or so (don't ask) and most of the P80 R cars I have seen around Tokyo have mostly been LHD. There is some sort of a weird exception they get over there for European cars. It is almost a "prestige" thing to drive a LHD car. Most of the "high-end" luxury cars & exotics are all LHD.
Funny story on that. I inquired about a Dakar Yellow E36 M3 coupe that was LHD a few years back. It ended up being from Japan and had the Japanese characters from auction written on the window which I found interesting.

I also have a friend here with a cream yellow 855 and it's also LHD that he had imported Japan. Totally not sure how it works over there. lol

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Really? Most of the ones I see for sale are RHD. Are all the people with LHD Rs just not selling? That stigma about LHD cars over there is one of the weirdest stigmas I've ever heard of lol.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Very cool thread, thank you ... good memories. I remember most of this, theunderlord and exexpat lol. I remember all you yellow guys and had total respect but dearly loved my platinum a little more :cool: Sold it to Gary (yellow95) in '07 and dropped off the radar for a long time, and definitely off VS. Never gave up on the Volvo's though. The neighbors think we're crazy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Really? Most of the ones I see for sale are RHD. Are all the people with LHD Rs just not selling? That stigma about LHD cars over there is one of the weirdest stigmas I've ever heard of lol.
Around Tokyo for sure, I have not seen too many exotics outside of the city. I used to take pictures of every P80R as I was initially dumb-founded how clean they all were. It later on got old as pretty much every single nice car, taxi cab & semi in Japan are in spotless condition. Even the airport limousine buses have their chrome wheels, exhaust tips all polished up (ALL the flipping time) - Just perfection.

Tokyo city cabs are my fav. Black outside, white inside. Not a single swirl mark on the paint and every time you get in one, it feels like it has just been washed / waxed & vacuumed. I don't know how they do it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
We have one of the few legal importers of JDM cars in the US in my state, near janesville. Beautiful cars, they have an R31 autech I'd be all over if it were 10k less.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Around Tokyo for sure, I have not seen too many exotics outside of the city. I used to take pictures of every P80R as I was initially dumb-founded how clean they all were. It later on got old as pretty much every single nice car, taxi cab & semi in Japan are in spotless condition. Even the airport limousine buses have their chrome wheels, exhaust tips all polished up (ALL the flipping time) - Just perfection.

Tokyo city cabs are my fav. Black outside, white inside. Not a single swirl mark on the paint and every time you get in one, it feels like it has just been washed / waxed & vacuumed. I don't know how they do it.
Let me know next time your going to Japan. Pme some time. Would love for someone to car out few cars in person for me vs dealing with a broker thru email or auction house.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
We have one of the few legal importers of JDM cars in the US in my state, near janesville. Beautiful cars, they have an R31 autech I'd be all over if it were 10k less.
I always enjoy looking at their inventory, even though they’re not importing anything related to this forum. 😂

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I give up…..

Back to the story folks!

After the San Fran & Chicago experiences, I pretty much decided to give up on my Yellow hunt and chose to chase my other dream of owning a 911 Turbo. Most of the pleasure for me is the hunt for the right car and chasing the right 911 can be quite difficult as I found out through my research over the years.

1st it was the sticker shock, then it was the endless options Porsche offers (which ones are the ones to have) and then of course what year is the year to own.

If you are in the market for a 997 Turbo here are the cliff notes (I know this is a Volvo forum): 2009 is the year own as it is the last year of the Mezger engine. 6 Speed Manual Coupes are more desirable over convertibles and tiptronics, sport adaptive seats and sport chrono packages are must have (you would not believe how many 911s do not have these) and for me, heated seats were also required. Anything over that was a plus. Of course I am after a low mile, stock, accident free example. To make things further complicated I do not want black cars (70% of 911 are black) and no beige or funny colored interiors. Well, that took out 99% of the cars on the market…..

I am going to keep this short but 8 years, many stories later, I found the ONE in spring of 2018 (on the other side of the country of course) from its original owner with only 6K miles and made an offer. Now I have a depleted savings account and a smile on my face.

Here are some pictures at delivery & garage pictures

By this time, I still continue to very casually browse through SS classifieds, BAT and some other places to see if a Yellow will pop up but my hopes are faded and I have no additional funds left to spend on a car. Plus how likely will a unicorn show up at the worst possible time anyway.
Well, than this happened:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?594487-1995-T5R-yellow-with-42000-miles-in-FL&highlight=t5r+original

HOLLY COW. Crazy car at a crazy price. Deep inside I am thinking this is too good to be true, it is at a farthest possible location from Seattle (of course) and I have no money. I call couple of friends and they all tell me that I am insane / crazy / etc etc if do not just go buy this car. –I have only been looking for one for over 10 years.

I get in touch with the owner and it is actually his son selling the car (this sounds familiar). But he is a car guy so is the dad (Ken Sr.)and this is their mom’s car located at their Florida summer house. Son (Ken) remembers the day the car got delivered brand new as his mom wanted this exact car and had to have it (She is Swedish BTW). His parents are getting up there in age and they decided to divide up the car collection among all the kids and –No one wanted the Volvo!!!! Ken knows how special the car is but he has his own uber low mile toys.

I ask Ken bunch of questions that we all ask when buying cars and he answers them either with pictures or by asking his dad. Everything checks out and Now THEY ASK me a question: Are you a broker / flipper & etc?? I was actually pleasantly surprised by the question and tell them my Volvo story and convince them, I am who I am. Having said all of that, I had no intentions to go to FL to see the car in person so a friend of mine (Danny – many Volvo guys know who he is) is in the car industry and he sends a person from one of their local dealers to inspect the car and paint meter it.

Ken’s dad freaks out and convinced that I am going to flip this thing and doesn’t want to sell it. Ken convinces his dad that I am who I am and the car is going to a nice home, very nice home.

Price: It is super high, it is pretty much the parents FU price (pardon my french). They have no intention of selling the car but if someone (me) is stupid enough to buy it at that price they will consider it. After going back and forth we agree on a price. They discount it as they don’t think timing belt has ever been done so the price of a timing belt service is the discount I am getting. Meanwhile, I am thinking that there is NO WAY this thing is still on its original timing belt.
I mean these folks bought a brand new set of yellow stitched floor mats as a back-up, when Ken’s mom scraped one of the Titans, instead of a repair, they bought a new one but never serviced the timing belt?? I am thinking that during one of the dealer visits it must of been done. Sooo, we do the deal and everyone is happy and I am nervous.

As this is happening, I get an unexpected bonus at work and life got pretty cool at that point. May be this was meant to be after all?!?

Danny’s guys went to Ken’s parents’ house with a private transport and loaded the T-5R with an intention of never starting it again due to timing belt uncertainty while in transport. They said that the car will be in front of my house in 3 to 4 days!!!!!! There goes 3 to 4 sleepless days.

3 to 4 days later, I get the call and they are almost to the house.

Here are some pictures from unload and a very long inspection. We kept circling the car over and over again to see if there were any flaws. –Nope! What did I just buy? I have not driven a T-5R in ages. The smell, the noises it makes, it is all coming back. I will never forget that day.

I just bought a 42K mile T-5R from its ORIGINAL owner :bow:

1st peek!

The only thing that I wanted to know if it was untouched enough to have the white gloves still in the trunk? CHECK, they are there and never even been opened..... Along with the spare lightly damaged Titan, extra set of brand new T-5R floor-mats and other spare parts.

We drive the car straight up to my garage and Danny pulls the timing belt cover off - Yes, it is date coded 1994 ......:eek: Ok, this thing is not going anywhere.

My ultimate dream becomes reality and I find a pretty emotional hand written card by Gloria and Ken Sr. in the glove-box with all the paperwork asking me to take care of their Yellow Veloow.

This just became a build / restoration / insanity thread :D !

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
21 - 40 of 127 Posts