SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you attempted (successfully or not) to rebuild your TF80SC transmission (preferably pre-chassis 367133, but all are welcome)? If so, what kit did you buy and did you happen to find a manual?

Here's why I ask:
In May(ish) the noble steed (2006, 167k Mi, V8) developed a shudder under heavier than normal gas pedal use. I do not recall if it was RPM dependent. As a band-aid or "sweep it under the rug" attempt I flushed the fluid through the cooler lines. After the flush, the shudder was gone, but 2nd gear was basically non existent. I could accelerate through first, then in 2nd the V8 RPM would increase while the rest of the car just coasted. At that time I could skip 2nd by driving in Manual mode up to gear 3. Over time the symptoms spread to other gears, to the point where 1, 2, and 3 just don't do anything. I have a feeling the internal friction/clutch plates are no good, but I guess it could also be valve body. I know the torque converter is OK because after she goes into Limp home mode, I can get to and from work in 5th gear without any drama.

So the options I'm considering are below. I plan to do all labor myself.
1. Purchased used Tranny for $1000 +/- $300 depending on source.
This does not eliminate potential future Valve body issues, so estimate additional $1.2k for new/reman VB.
Replacement unit will have likely have much more than 100k miles on it.

2. Purchase New/Reman Tranny. $3.5k to $4k+, depending on source.
Can find units with warranty, probably best option for overall longevity of the Tranny and peace of mind. Unfortunately I really can't afford this right now.

3. Rebuild Tranny. I'll be buying a new/reman VB in addition to a rebuild/overhaul kit. Estimate ~$1.7k.

Cheapest option is #1, saving VB for a future date.
However, I'm leaning toward #3 as I think It would be the "best bang for the buck" option.
I'm hesitant because I'm having a hard time finding documentation. All I can find are exploded view diagrams with parts listed. Each diagram includes parts for all car manufacturers that use the TF80-SC. A repair manual would be great, but I've been unable to find a source. Am I a fool for even considering this as an option? At worst case, I think I could reasonably buy a kit that includes the friction plates, then take it apart and put it back together, replacing all the pieces that I have in the kit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd get a used tranny with a warranty and go that route. It's a lot of work no matter which option you pick.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We have decided that with ours if the transmission goes the car goes bye-bye, unless someone like you can lead the way and prove it is not so hard a job to overhaul it.

Have you contacted Northwest Transmission or Fatsco to ask if parts are available. Maybe they just need some prodding to get into the game.

Getting a used tranny with warranty would be my last option. Who wants to do the job twice and who stands by their warranty?

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 R-Design Savile Grey
47 Posts
Had my 2005 V8 Valve Body done. They used a reman from Sonnax. Part was $750, looked pretty easy to install and was planning on doing it but didn’t have time. Trans runs perfectly now, but I haven’t had issues with shudder or gears. Can’t speak on a rebuild kit, but it’s more just a matter of putting it back together correctly. If you take enough pictures, I don’t image it would be too hard to rebuild. Kit might even come with instructions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I hadn't contacted any rebuild parts vendors yet. I was thinking I'd check with the knowledge base here first to see if there were any recommendations.

... It's a lot of work no matter which option you pick.
I'm glad you mentioned this; it really is true. I estimate I'll put 3 days into the job just pulling the tranny out and putting it back in (shop quoted 15 hours, and I work slow). Doing the rebuild will certainly add at least another day and some complexity.

I think I'll just find a used unit with reasonable mileage and price. If I can get a price low enough I'll also do the VB, maybe that Sonnax part is a good option. If it goes well and I have some time down the road, maybe I'll try to rebuild the old unit and throw it back in for fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here 4 my kids? They must be full grown... ;)
HA! Good point. I bought the Volvo last winter because the Yellow Ram 1500 extended cab couldn't fit 2 car seats in the back...

If naptime lasts 1.5 hours per day, and I get to work on it 2 days per week (Sat & Sun), maybe I'll get it done by the time they graduate from high school...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts