SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not talking about the flaring, but slipping and sort of hard shifting.

I had the S80 in with the dealer, who confirmed the slipping and rough shifting. They checked the fluid level, noting that it was a bit low. After topping it off, it's still experiencing the issue, so they've suggested that the transmission is failing internally.

The thing is, the next morning, it wasn't nearly as bad as it was before. I'm thinking of doing a drain/fill and was wondering if anyone experienced anything similar, and if replacing the fluid helped.

Again, this is not the flaring that's related to the valve body.

And yes, this is with my S80, but it's the same transmission and I'm sure more R members are active.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Here's what I'd do... A coolant contamination test of the ATF. And do a drain and fill, can't make it worse ya know.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. They already quoted me $7800 on a new transmission, lol.

I'm sure a used-good one would be a couple thousand. Drain and fill won't be too bad. Hopefully that solves it. It's a nice car.

·
Super Moderator
10,795 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. They already quoted me $7800 on a new transmission, lol.

I'm sure a used-good one would be a couple thousand. Drain and fill won't be too bad. Hopefully that solves it. It's a nice car.
I may have one for you at a great price if interested. Will know in the next couple days.

We should also catch up!

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've driven an R with the valve body problem. This is definitely more of the slipping occasionally and weird rough shifts on gears 2-6.

The bad valve bodied R I drove would do the neutral flares on the 2-3 shift.

·
2,505 Posts
Yeah I would try and get a sample and send to BlackStone for testing, if you have like a 3 week wait time. I had my TF80 tested with them, they can read all the metals/impurities and see whats up.

I'd otherwise imagine its the clutches or band going out. Do a flush, reset the degredation counter on VIDA and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Too bad you're so far away. I have one with 67K that I'm practically giving away

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree to do a drain/fill. Easy. I did on my 2007 S80 V8. I paid the local Volvo dealer to change the trans fluid (~$300) 10,000 miles ago. Trans would very occasionally slightly slip or bang on a turning pull from a stop. I wanted to be sure of fluid condition. Dealer had the level low by 28 ounces. I used Mobil 3309 sourced from Amazon. Trans now shifts perfect.

·
2,505 Posts
There is a tutorial on how to flush on here, tis very simple. Just need 3-6 gallons of ATF, some vinyl tubing and a new green trans clip. I've flushed mine twice, much easier with the cooler I added now

·
Super Moderator
8,569 Posts
Curious (truly!) how the dealer confirmed it was not the valve body. Is the transmission reporting the issue and it's showing up on VIDA? I've never heard of a dealer confirming the valve body as not an issue, so I'm really curious!

I've heard of a couple different types of issues with the TF-80SC. First, most obvious, flared shifting that everyone is familiar with. Second, neutral condition on sharp turns (likely associated with low fluid levels). My R never had the neutral condition on sharp turn until after I had the fluid changed out by the dealer. They would, presumably, refill to Volvo spec, but who knows... Anyway, assuming they did it right and the level was "correct", then I shouldn't have this condition happen. However, I did, so maybe the "correct" level isn't quite correct. There's been some talk on the forum of adding an additional 1/4-1/2 quart to remedy the neutral in turn condition (I know dougy dealt with this). Let's assume that he's right and that low level is able to cause slipping/neutral condition. My hypothesis here would be, if the dealer is able to tell that you are low, then maybe you are doubly low. Maybe you are first low compared to the Volvo specified level and then secondly low compared to the actual ideal fluid level. If you believe a little low could cause slipping/neutral condition when turning, then wouldn't even lower possibly cause slipping/neutral when not turning? A quick check may be to add another 1/2 quart of fluid and see if the problem goes away.

Just a wild guess.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I would do two drain and fills. Dump the fluid, install plug. Add one gallon of MaxLife synthetic LV through the TX55 plug on top outboard forward corner of trans and then run engine 10 minutes and pull the tx40 center plug and let any excess drain. Drive it 30 minutes and then repeat this.
See if it is OK.
How does it shift now if you manually upshift at lower throttle and something close to the usual RPM? (8-16-24-32-40 mph shifts at light throttle on level ground)

The only way to know that VB is not it is if there are chunks or metal flakes coming out when you drain it. There is a relatively new routine in VIDA for shift adaptivity to improve shift performance but it is not a test for VB.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So consensus is Valvoline Max Life ATF, or Mobil 3309?

And how much goes in?

I'll do the two drain and fills, it sounds fairly easy.

Edit: Manually shifting has the same results. If I wind the gears out, however, it's smooth.

·
2,505 Posts
Well it depends. First time I used 5 gallons. I can't find the thread rn but you run vinyl tubing to the cooler lines, start the car and pump out 3qt at a time (no more or itl run dry and blow bubbles, I tried). Then you add the exact same amount into the fill hole (use two buckets).

Then you repeat the process 3qt at a time until the fluid runs bright red. By the time it runs red you may only run through a few gallons or maybe 5 like I did the first time.

I had no issues with Valvoline, it is fully synthetic and is more widely available. Idk of the Mobil stuff is full synthetic. I had it tested and it had very good detergent values.

Pics of my most recent 6000mi flush.

Then you run do 3qt at a time until she spits out bright red.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts