SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Did anyone manage to send text messages directly from sensus? I can read new messages but when I reply it immediately fails. I'm using an iPhone 6.

Thanks,
Omar

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't been able to do it either. I simply use siri; who is vastly more helpful then the lady stuck inside my volvo that I yell at constantly for not understanding me EVAR!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If it did work it would just create another problem due to the laughable voice recognition. And you'd still be at square one.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
You can receive but not send from Apple products. I don't remember if android worked for sending or not, but you cannot with Apple from sensus. CarPlay should soon 'fix' the sending problem, or at least make it easier to reply.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
You can receive but not send from Apple products. I don't remember if android worked for sending or not, but you cannot with Apple from sensus. CarPlay should soon 'fix' the sending problem, or at least make it easier to reply.
Correct.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yeah I brought this up months ago and got the same response about how you can't send texts with Apple products. Though I have yet to hear of anyone successfully doing it with Android either, but perhaps they are out there.

There is a short-term and near long term solution hopefully.

Right now you can put your iPhone in "Hey Siri" mode in the settings and plug it into the USB connection in the car (Hey Siri requires a power source to operate) and leave it nearby out in the open (I use the nook in the middle console above the cupholder (don't put it in the cupholder itself as this is where the key fob sensor is hidden). Once you do this you can say "Hey Siri" followed by what you want to do such as "text Joe that I will be late for the game." Siri's responses then broadcast through the car speaker system and she is typically very accurate.

Near long term Siri should be officially integrated into the car and you can use the wheel mic button, as part of CarPlay. Though it's not clear yet how precisely it will determine when you want Siri versus Sensus. Worst case you will need to be in the CarPlay screen. Best case it simply accepts a key phrase like Siri to mean you want Siri to parse what you say and respond.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On my 2015 BMW535i I don't have to take the phone off my pocket or turn it on. I just press the "Voice" switch on the steering wheel and Siri asks you "how may I help you". You can tell her to call by name or by phone and in my car it works very well.

Awaiting for the newly designed S90...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
On my 2015 BMW535i I don't have to take the phone off my pocket or turn it on. I just press the "Voice" switch on the steering wheel and Siri asks you "how may I help you". You can tell her to call by name or by phone and in my car it works very well.

Awaiting for the newly designed S90...
This may or may not be possible after CarPlay integration. Volvo hasn't provided any details yet. iOS 9 allows CarPlay integration wirelessly via Bluetooth, but it requires car-by-car integration. If Volvo based their CarPlay on the available developer's beta of iOS9 before it was released, we might get wireless CarPlay and therefore Siri. If they didn't, we'll have to be plugged into the USB cport to use it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This may or may not be possible after CarPlay integration. Volvo hasn't provided any details yet. iOS 9 allows CarPlay integration wirelessly via Bluetooth, but it requires car-by-car integration. If Volvo based their CarPlay on the available developer's beta of iOS9 before it was released, we might get wireless CarPlay and therefore Siri. If they didn't, we'll have to be plugged into the USB cport to use it.
The v2 manual shows that you have to plug your iPhone in via USB to use CarPlay. I hope that changes between now and the CarPlay update. Or can be upgraded later on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The v2 manual shows that you have to plug your iPhone in via USB to use CarPlay. I hope that changes between now and the CarPlay update. Or can be upgraded later on.
That manual was created before this update to CarPlay happened, so there's still some chance at least. Volvo actually says it is working on the wireless connection as far back as 2014. However, considering CarPlay is streaming H.264 video, it's not going to be a Bluetooth connection but will have to be a WiFi Direct connection exactly like or similar to AirPlay...which could maybe leverage the current WiFi receiver but if not then 2017 or later will get it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still I wouldn't recommend anyone to use carplay over the air, that would drain the battery in minutes. Especially if waze becomes supported. That app is a battery killer, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I stream music at home via AirPlay routinely and my battery survives just fine.
Waze just released a major update that is supposed to be much better about battery usage. But I haven't used it enough since then to test if that's true.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I stream music at home via AirPlay routinely and my battery survives just fine.
Waze just released a major update that is supposed to be much better about battery usage. But I haven't used it enough since then to test if that's true.
I agree with you when it comes to music via AirPlay because I use that often as well. But carplay will be more like streaming video content over the air whilst running applications off the iPhone itself. Since the Volvo won't leverage any processes off the iPhone itself it will of course consume more battery. But as you all said, I would rather have the option to use it over the air than not for more future compatibility.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Still I wouldn't recommend anyone to use carplay over the air, that would drain the battery in minutes. Especially if waze becomes supported. That app is a battery killer, at least in my experience.
I have to wonder what the real convenience will be, I want my phone plugged in when I drive for battery saving purposes even without CarPlay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with you when it comes to music via AirPlay because I use that often as well. But carplay will be more like streaming video content over the air whilst running applications off the iPhone itself. Since the Volvo won't leverage any processes off the iPhone itself it will of course consume more battery. But as you all said, I would rather have the option to use it over the air than not for more future compatibility.
It may be less battery taxing than we expect, the biggest battery drain on any phone is the display being on. I'm still not optimistic though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts