SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experiencing inconsistent boost over the past month (e.g. in the same conditions, the car sometimes feels great and other times it is a dog) so after searching and reviewing the following thread (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=55758), I'm thinking it may be a problem with the captioned.

Before going to the dealer, I wanted to check my boost level with a spare gauge from my indie but am unsure the easiest place to tap the gauge into. Any suggestions/pics?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (bb vign)

<BUMP>

Where's the love?

If anyone has any thoughts/pics on where to tap the temnporary boost gauge into, it would be most appreciated...

TIA,

Derek

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (bb vign)

the regulated boost can be tapped at the "driver's end" of the intake manifold. There is a 6mm hose around the back corner from the big brass fitting at the green dot.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (JimLill)

Although this manifold is from a T5 instead of an R the connection for a boost gauge is in the same spot.

You can T in a gauge at the CBV connection. Picture show manifold from underneath, connection is on the right side of the manifold when standing in front of the car looking at the engine.
Connection is partially hidden by the silver plastic R cap on the manifold.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote, originally posted by bb vign »
I've been experiencing inconsistent boost over the past month (e.g. in the same conditions, the car sometimes feels great and other times it is a dog) so after searching and reviewing the following thread (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=55758), I'm thinking it may be a problem with the captioned.

Just went to the dealer and bought a new Boost Control Solenoid for about $35. Swapped it out in two minutes and now have consistent strong boost. So nice to have all 300+ ponies back every time I put my foot into it

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bb vign »

Just went to the dealer and bought a new Boost Control Solenoid for about $35. Swapped it out in two minutes and now have consistent strong boost. So nice to have all 300+ ponies back every time I put my foot into it

Regards,

Derek

Derek:

Could you elaborate on what it takes to replace this part? Pics?

I have had this happen mildly over the last 6 months especially when cold, and I know that the cold engine can cause this surging (I have the latest ECU upgrades).

This weekend, I went out and it was BAD. When the boost would come on, the surging felt like that loss of boost you get when you bang it up over 6250 RPM (stock engine). It almost made me sick.

For $35 I'd love to swap this out and see how it works.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »

Derek:

Could you elaborate on what it takes to replace this part? Pics?

I have had this happen mildly over the last 6 months especially when cold, and I know that the cold engine can cause this surging (I have the latest ECU upgrades).

This weekend, I went out and it was BAD. When the boost would come on, the surging felt like that loss of boost you get when you bang it up over 6250 RPM (stock engine). It almost made me sick.

For $35 I'd love to swap this out and see how it works.

Thanks.

Joe:

No problem and please note additional details can be found in this thread:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...age=2

Install is easy as follows:

1. Push out two of the "donuts" closest to the airbox which hold the plastic cover down that sits slightly over the solenoid (on the driver's side just behind the headlight). This will allow you a little more room to work with the solenoid but isn't necessary if you have small fingers

2. Pull the solenoid off of its bracket (it slides right out)

3. Release the small hose clamps on the three hoses, slide them back a little and twist off each hose and attach in the same location to the new solenoid (I detached/re-attached one at a time to avoid any confusion).

4. Slide the clamps back up, slide the solenoid back onto its bracket and slide the "donuts" of the plastic cover back into their original "locked-down" locations and you're done!

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Thanks Jim and Derek.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I thought I remembered a thread on this but I didn't have time to search at work.

Will let you know how it goes. Have to support our sponsors and order it through Boston Volvo Village...to hell with Hudson Valley Volvo, why let them make any $$.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (needsdecaf)

The part number for the solenoid is 30670449. The "hose map" is under the hood above the master cylinder.

It would be a good idea to add a small filter inline with the raw boost feed from the turbo such as:

They are cheap and handle 60 psi http://www.stpats.com/diffuser.htm

·
Registered
233 Posts

In the words of famous innovator , JRL this part is famous for failure ANY TIME. I replaced mine. super for about two weeks. then same ols same old http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif
Tried cleaning old one with carb cleaner. Wrecked it.
Anmyoenfound a way to clean the standby unit without killing it ?
Having ine in car, one on standby seemed like a reasonable idea, unless someone out there has founfd an alternative BCV that actually works for more than days

Senilesurfer

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (senilesurfer)

Something tells me that serial failures indicate that more git than normal is getting in the already susceptable BCS. I would examine the cleanliness of the raw boost line and/or add a filter.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (JimLill)

Oh master innovator, whose copywrite I wll violate next week ( (pipe for middle resonator). Any 'best' filter you recommend? Which line to cut it into?

senilesurfer

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (senilesurfer)

Quote, originally posted by senilesurfer »
Oh master innovator, whose copywrite I wll violate next week ( (pipe for middle resonator). Any 'best' filter you recommend? Which line to cut it into?

senilesurfer

JRL is not JimLill

I... am not the pipe guy..............

I posted the filter type above.... it goes in the raw boost line betwwen the turbo compressor and the valve........

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts

Is the point where the filter is inserted a metered value? Is the pressure drop from the filter important or negligible?

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (rogersampson)

The Wastegate needs < 8psi to open fully. The BCS gets a PWM signal to regulate the raw boost down to what the wastegate needs. In max performance conditions, the raw boost is >15 psi right at the compressor and the volume of air moving in those control lines is very low. So any pressure or flow changes caused by a filter in that raw path will have no real effect.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
Normally attached to the side of the airbox, in this pix... it is there loose.

simple question, how do you remove that "empty space cover that serve no function" beside the air box? I can't figure out how it is fastened.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Testing Boost Control Solenoid - Best Place to Tap Temporary Boost Gauge? (vizwiz)

Quote, originally posted by vizwiz »

simple question, how do you remove that "empty space cover that serve no function" beside the air box? I can't figure out how it is fastened.

There are three (I think) rubber donuts attached to posts coming out of the cover. If memory serves me correct, two are on the airbox side of the cover. Simply slide your hand down the outside of the cover and gently slide the donuts/posts out towards the airbox. With these two out of the way, I had to no problem getting to the solenoid for replacement.

Good luck!

Regards,

Derek

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.