SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on what it could be?<p><A HREF="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=630230" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=630230</a>

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Re: Test Mule Spotted. (JZ)

Here it is:<p><BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It was a Volvo XC "Cross Country" body, but its what's under that body that was interesting to me. First of all, it had Michigan Manufacturer plates. The car sat really weird, with the rear wheels completely cambered in. They were also about 9" wide, and covered by a loose bolt-on plastic flare. The rear wheel didn't sit right in the wheel well. That is, they were closer to the rear door area than to the rear of the car: ----> rear door/ O S\bumper (S=more space).... if that makes sense. The car had testing equipment on the dash, and wires running through the doors under the car. The brake calipers (front and rear) were HUUUGE, and had pink hand-writing on them. The front area (hood, fenders) was also longer, and the front wheels stuck out from the fenders and had peformance rubber on them, too. The car was also very fast, and handled extremely well, giving my friend (who was driving a car with full-race JIC Magic coilovers) some competition. Anyone know if Volvo is testing any performance models? Are there any rumors of a Volvo performance model?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Wow, good find, that is strange! It sounds like it could be the V90 that Volvo is testing.<p>-Drew

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Test Mule Spotted. ([email protected])

S80 T6 AWD??<p>Similar vehicle was spotted more than few years ago in our area.<br>Brown V70XC with probably the haldex drive fitted.<br>Also a lot of test equipment on board en wires running through the vehicle.<br>Could have been equiped with the R engine already because people told it was fast.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: Test Mule Spotted. (Johann)

Quite often when a new engine/powertrain is being tested for a new car they'll put the new gear into a current production body because the new design isn't complete or the prototype body is being used elsewhere in the design process. This exact thing was done on the C5 'vette where they put the new engine into some comaro bodies (called 'em "cormaros") and drove them for two years to iron out the bugs before the car was launched. Not unusual at all.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: Test Mule Spotted. (T5 Dave)

[cced from my post on Vortex, but it fits here]<p>That'd be my guess. From the sounds of it, that's a RWD car that you saw. Volvo does have the R models coming up, but they have already been shown and would be undisguised.<p>If I had go guess, I'd say it's the new Mustang platform in testing or maybe the next gen X-type based on that same small version of the DEW platform. DEW is now home to the Lincoln LS, Tbird and Jag S-type. A smaller version will play home to the Mustang, Jag X-type and some other future Jags.<p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts