SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 S90 Inscription with a lease coming up, and have on order a 2020 S60 Inscription with Polestar and all the packages. I decided to drive the XC40 today. We have 2 XC60s, so were are very familiar with Volvos (and popular at our dealership!).

I drove 2 XC40 R Designs today, one with Polestar, and one without. Here are my impressions:

1. it's fun to drive (and really good looking - I like the black top that comes on the R Design - it should be on all of them)
2. Definitely small, but comfortable
3. Polestar versus non-Polestar in Dynamic mode - I wasn't blown away by it, to be honest - perhaps I needed more time with it, since most reviews say it takes time to get used to
4. The car is not luxorious at all. The "carpet" on the doors and console feels like very cheap felt.
5. Gear shift - Many complain that you have to "click" it twice to get into drive. Yeah, a bit weird, but easy to get used to - I like that when you pull into a spot, you can just press the "P" button to put it in park - By the end of my test drives, I actually preferred the gear **** over a mechanical one
6. When I hit 65MPH on the one with Polestar, I noticed a pronounced vibration (the wheel did not vibrate). I had this with my S90 and it was the "bladder" in the Pirelli tires, which fixed the problem (discussed at length in many forums). The one without Polestar at 65+ did not have the shudder. I'm not blaming Polestar, but it was troublesome. I looked it up and there are threads in other forums complaining about this issue, with no solution. Anyone else experience this issue? Both XC40s had the same tires, Pirelli Scorpion Zero 245/45 R20 all season.
7. Lease - if you want to lease, this is where I had a big issue. There are no incentives from Volvo, so a 36 month lease with zero down was $720 month, but an XC60 similarly appointed was $620 due to incentives. It's hard to spend $100 more a month on the XC40 when you can get an XC60 cheaper. It was explained to me that they are pushing the XC60s and S60s over the XC90s, XC40s, and S90s. Even though there are tariffs on the XC60s, they are not passing those along; rather, they are making up for it with the XC90s and XC40s (with no incentives).
8. Features - The XC40 has some great features: grocery holder in the trunk, glove box hook, storage under the seats, wireless charging (but I scratch my head why they give you wireless charging but no wireless CarPlay???), trash compartment in the console, and storable trunk cover (it's pretty cheap, but at least you can remove it and store it in the car without taking any space.
9. Harmon Kardon upgraded stereo ($800 option) - It's not bad...if you swipe left, you can choose the option to customize the listening experience to surround, which improves it. However, it's nothing compared to the Bowers & Watkins I have in the S90. I spend close to 2 hours commuting (round trip) each day, and the sound experience is important to me. The Bowers & Watkins is far superior (if you set it up correctly).

Bottom line: The XC40 is a fun auto, it has the wonderful safety features that is found in all the Volvos, it is incredibly comfortable, and quite responsive. They skimped on the luxury, unfortunately. If Volvo throws some incentives at the buyers, I think it will be a good deal; for now, you can get an XC60 for less (if you lease). But, damn, it's such a great looking auto...especially with the black top.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
All good points... I love my XC40 RD. I had P* added to it. I've only got 1600 miles on it. In all truthfulness, I don't drive it in Dynamic mode much. In comfort mode 65+ I am not experiencing any shuddering. Volvo did have to dumb down some interior bits so it could have all the tech. Makes sense, but I think they did it tastefully.

Definitely agree about the HK audio. I wish the B&W was offered, but adding another $3k to an OPP SUV doesn't make sense.

We bought ours and got a fair discount on it. I did test drive a new XC60, but the 40 was way more fun to drive. Besides, we already have a 13 XC60 so it didn't make sense to us to have two of them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you aren't using Dynamic, why do you have Polestar? It's only active in Dynamic mode or if you turn off stability control.

No doubt it was fun to drive! And the look is amazing. I'm seeing more and more of them, and those who I've talked to driving them LOVE them!

Glad you don't have the shudder. I have not seen it discussed here, but I found a thread on it today. I'd bet on the Pirellis since it happened in my S90.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed I spelled "shift" without the "f", and it was replaced with asterisks...oops!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was looking for either the XC60 and XC40, but back when the XC40 was first launched in the UK there were some really cracking deals on offer. When I ordered my R Design 14 months ago I got the equivalent of $7,600 dollars off for a fully loaded First Edition model. Add to that the 0% finance with 50% deposit down and it became a no brainer. I was lucky to find a XC40 fully loaded as the basic model felt a very different experience to me when lent one for the day. Because of my experience I'd probably look for fully loaded models in future.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
I am very curious on XC40 PHEV. European folks are supposed to get it delivered by now. Some review will be really helpful. I'd like to see if we will have it in US next year.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I thought P* was effective in every mode?
It is effective in every mode; it's just a bit more pronounced in Dynamic mode (also known now as Polestar engineered mode).

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If you aren't using Dynamic, why do you have Polestar? It's only active in Dynamic mode or if you turn off stability control.
That is false.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
It is effective in every mode; it's just a bit more pronounced in Dynamic mode (also known now as Polestar engineered mode).
Thanks for confirming Grecian. I got the new "white" badge out back.. kinda wished it was P* blue, but at least the white looks good against Bursting Blue.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am very curious on XC40 PHEV. European folks are supposed to get it delivered by now. Some review will be really helpful. I'd like to see if we will have it in US next year.

There is still no option of PHEV for the XC40 on the UK Volvo website at the moment.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Agree with everything you said except:

7. Lease - if you want to lease, this is where I had a big issue. There are no incentives from Volvo, so a 36 month lease with zero down was $720 month, but an XC60 similarly appointed was $620 due to incentives. It's hard to spend $100 more a month on the XC40 when you can get an XC60 cheaper.
You are correct that there are no lease incentives because it's selling very well.
But, my zero-down 36 mo. XC40 Momentum T5 is $415/mo (not including taxes) for 12,000 miles a year.
Mine has the heated seats, keyless entry and vision packages only.

I've been told that in first-model-year Volvos, the Momentum trim level tends to be a little more high-end (e.g., standard leather seats).
Find an XC40 Momentum T5 without all the overpriced packages and xc40 can be a great value.

$720/mo for xc40 is absurd!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the shuddering at 70mph. I also have the Polestar package. I'm curious to know if that's the cause of it. That would be interesting. I am running with 20" rims. The dealership has given me a bit of a run around (most recently blaming the issue on flat spots). I'm more inclined to think that my rims may not be perfectly round. They tell me they've balanced the tires and also did a rotation. It's frustrating because my kid's $15,000 VW doesn't vibrate like this and I think the dealership thinks I'm making it up or being unreasonable.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
There is still no option of PHEV for the XC40 on the UK Volvo website at the moment.
Saw a video from Netherland. Maybe Sweden and Norway also have it. I can imaging it will see higher demanding than XC60 T8. So longer delay to reach US.

·
Registered
439 Posts
We have had our XC40 for almost a year and have been really happy with it. We have not experienced any shuddering, but we have a Momentum with 19 inch wheels. We put Polestar on after driving around stock for a while and have been very happy with the improved throttle response. We got a good deal on Polestar so it’s been worth it to us.

We bought our XC40 through OSD so we were able to get a discount and a great vacation. The lease issue is a non issue for us because we would never consider leasing a vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up my XC40 via OSD in Sweden last September, and drove around Germany for a couple of weeks. On my first day on the autobahn I got a loud vibrating sound from the back of the car for only a minute or two, an hour or so into the drive.

I was only going around 70mph at the time and the road was otherwise very smooth, typical of most of the roads I drove there.
It was very concerning, but it never recurred, there or since I've had it back in the US. I guess I'm just waiting for it to happen again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im glad im not the only one who bought instead of leased. the car has its problems but i love more about it than hate little things about it. never experienced any high speed shuddering but the snorkeling sound during rain is very annoying. ive never really been in any luxury car with their high end sound systems so the HK system in the XC40 sounds great to me. absolutely agree about the wireless charging yet you still need to plug in your phone for carplay. makes no sense.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The one I drove was a loaded R design...all packages, most options, upgraded HK, etc. It was around $45,385.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts