SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don Beyer in VA has a light green T6 demo they received on 10/30/02. I took it out for a test drive lastnight. My concerns regarding the 4speed trans were put to bed. The T6 had good power of the line and the shifts were seamless. The trans did no "hunting" for the correct gear. Power is more than adequate with no noticable lag. One thing that really impressed me was the ride. It was very sport like, bumps were handled with a thump and not a bounce. Actually, I felt the suspension setting was far more aggressive than my Passat. No noticable dive or roll. This vovlo is amazing. It handles as if it were a smaller car. Those 18" Atlantis rims are very very nice, must haves IMO. The demo also had the wood steering wheel. The wheel is quite small which adds to the ease of driving. This one did not have the HIDs.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: Test Drove A T6 lastnight (napster)

I also agree the supension is one of the best features! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: Test Drove A T6 lastnight (Kaizai)

Tanks for the post. I am doing a test drive on Saturday, both the 2.5 and T6 for comparision. My concerns with the 4 spd is more gas mileage related than performance. I figure with a 5spd on the T6, they could get another 4-6 mpg. My guesstimate anyway.

We have a Rodeo now, very lofty suspension and a lot of roll..always feel like it is going to roll. The XC90 sounds like a sports sedan in comparision!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Re: Test Drove A T6 lastnight (spideyman)

quote:

My concerns with the 4 spd is more gas mileage related than performance. I figure with a 5spd on the T6, they could get another 4-6 mpg. My guesstimate anyway.
Same concern here...I think another gear will really help gas mileage. But if added performance is a by-product of another gear, so be it. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

[Modified by crikey, 11:42 AM 11-1-2002]

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Test Drove A T6 lastnight (napster)

OK...here are my two cents after having driven each model for the last two nights, for more than 40 miles each night.

Two nights ago, I took home (the looong way http://********************/smile/emwink.gif )the first XC90 we received which was a Silver Green Metallic T6. 17" alloys looked OK, kind of bland if you ask me, remind me of a '98 or '99 V70 XC. The hwere shod with Pirelli Scorpios. The ride was fantastic! Very comfortable, very quiet and the car felt great ovee the bumps!

The steering was not bad but compared (look below) to the 2.5T it felt like it provided me with less input. The standard stereo system jad a nice display but the radio performance was average, at best. Slip in a CD though and it changes like Dr. Jekyll and Hyde! The acoustics are amazing!!Imagine what the Premium Audio sounds like!

The handling aroud the curves was...AMAZING! This car felt like it was not going to leave the road (and it didn't!). Just a TAD (and I emphasize "TAD") of body roll at the beginning of the turn and it stayed put! I took sharp curves at 45 mph and the car was AWESOME! Not even the slightest hint of wanting to keep rolling or feeling wobbly like all the SUVs I have driven (with the exception of the X5). The engine performed tremendously, pulled with authority and did not feel like it was missing a gear. People who are worried about the 4-speed tranny: You are overagonizing about nothing. The car does not even provide you with the slightest hint that it's missing a gear.

The seats are the next most amazing feature of this car! They are the BEST seats that Volvo has ever made. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif I thought that the seats in the current models were better (and they are) than previous models' but the XC90 seats are unbelievable!

Tonight, I drove our second demo; a Black XC90 2.5T w/ 17" alloys also. ALthough the wheels were the same as the T6's, the tires were not Pirellis; they were Michelin Synchrones. Nice!

The engine felt pretty good although it sounded coarse when compared to the T6. But the acceleration was strong; still, the T6 felt stronger.

Just today, we logged more than 35 test-drives, solidified 18 pre-orders and sold 8 new customers! This was a tremendous day for us. The feedback we are getting from customers is the most enthusiastic I have ever heard. We have a salesperson who has been with us for 18 years and he cannot remember responses, from the public, like this in any of the past new model launches! He thinks that the 850 launch was almost as enthusiastic but not like this!

We had two customers today who came from the Acura store, up the street and having just driven the MDX. After test driving the XC90, one bought the car on the spot, the other went back to test-drive the MDX again and returned with a deposit for the XC90! I can't help it but feel great about this car!

Later,

Yannis

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow!

Very cool, Yannis! http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: Test Drove A T6 lastnight (GrecianVolvo)

Yannis,

Thanks for taking the time to update us. Can't wait for a longer road trip (specifically in my car, in December).

quote:

17" alloys looked OK, kind of bland if you ask me, remind me of a '98 or '99 V70 XC.
I thought exactly the same thing; my '99 V70XC, but 2" bigger. If I could only find some Atlantis wheels at a good price ;-)

quote:

The steering was not bad but compared (look below) to the 2.5T it felt like it provided me with less input.
This seems to be the consensus. That's why I was surprised to see that Motor Trend specifically mentioned the 2.5T steering as a low point in their SUV of the Year article. I think they said "vagueness". What's up with that? Pre-production variations I guess.

quote:

People who are worried about the 4-speed tranny: You are overagonizing about nothing. The car does not even provide you with the slightest hint that it's missing a gear.
Can I be critical for a moment? The T6 is a wonderful car, but Volvo should have had a 5 speed from the get go. This is my major disappointment with the car. Sure, everything is fine with the 4 speed, but with a 60 hp and 44 lb-ft advantage, the T6 should trounce the 2.5T. The numbers suggest this isn't the case. And, according to EPA, the 2.5T goes nearly 100 highway miles farther on the same tank of gas. I'm happy about the drivability, but there are significant drawbacks.

BTW, 5000 miles on my Audi A4 and I am convinced that no gears is the way to go. The CVT is amazing!

quote:

I can't help it but feel great about this car!
Congratulations! Volvo and the dealerships will do very well with the car. My dealer has always treated me well and I wish them the best.

jvincent

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: Test Drove A T6 lastnight (jvincent)

I drove both the 2.5T and T6 last weekend. I was impressed with the handling. I took a on ramp at about 30 mph over the posted limit and the XC90 held the road with very little roll. I was suprised that the T6 did not have the feeling of the extra 60hp it packs. I am going to consider the T5 since the mileage is better. The main difference was to get the vehicle really moving, the T5 required higher revs.

One thing I noticed, which was mentioned in the MSN Carpoint review was that the throttle pedal has very long travel. Some of the differences I noticed on the engines could have been that the pedal wasn't actually to the floor. Next, test drive this weekend to experiment.

Bottom line, I am ordering a vehicle, still undecided which to order. I don't anticipate doing any towing, but like good pick-up, I just didn't personally feel the difference between the two vehicles to merit the difference in price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Re: Test Drove A T6 lastnight (spideyman)

quote:

I am going to consider the T5 since the mileage is better. The main difference was to get the vehicle really moving, the T5 required higher revs.
The XC90 has the 2.5T engine. The T5 is not available on it. And I'm really interested that you thought the 2.5T required higher revs to get it going since full 236 ft./lbs. of torque are available at 1500 rpm. It does take 5000 rpm to get all 208 hp.

It is hard to decide between the 2 engines though. If one's priority is fuel mileage and an adequate engine for daily drives, the 2.5T seems more than capable for this task. However, if one wants V8-like power, then the T6 seems to be the engine of choice. If I get a 7-seater (which is not really a requirement of mine), I would opt for the T6 due to the added weight.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: Test Drove A T6 lastnight (crikey)

Yes. I mistyped. I meant 2.5T. I am not familiar with the Volvo products. I was very rushed last weekend as the dealer had scheduled many test drives in a very short period. I really need to go back and do another test drive of the two models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.