SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
55,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove 2hrs to Richmond to check out the silver V70 R at the dealer down there. 26400 miles, in service date of Nov. '99. build date 4/99. Asking $34,900k. Will sell for $34k.
- indash 3 CD surround sound (center speaker in dash) setup
- has a hitch
- new Continental CH95 tires ( I believe it was the CH95)
- silver/grey alcantera
- car was sold new and traded back in at the same dealer- did a CarFax report, all looks legit.
- has the roof side rails but no cross members for hauling stuff on the roof.
- the 5spd automatic shifted smooth.
- body looks straight, no signs of a respray, that I could see
- rear booster seats

complaints:
- the car needs detailed, suprised at how dirty it was for being on a dealer's lot--it looks like the owner just dropped it off, dirt on the rear floor mats, scuff marks on the rear door panels, etc.
- funny cleaner smell, they tried to get the "smoking" smell out before I got there...didn't smell bad, just fruity.
- front windshield has one decent chip and a couple small chips in the wiper range--they said they may replace it as part of the deal.
- several stone chips on the front, to be expected but still sucks to see.
- previous owner definately "drove" and "used" the car for the wagon it was.
- scratchs and 2 cuts on the back of the passenger side seat-- can these be repaired?
- blue scuff mark by the speaker on the rear door - hopefully it will come off.
- rear bumper cover ledge has some noticeable nicks and scratchs and one or two gouges--again, definately used for hauling.
- the hood on the car would slowly come down, it just wouldn't stay up.
- while driving it felt like a wheel was out of balance, or maybe it was the characteristic of the AWD system...it just felt like the was a slight shimmy.
- acceleration didn't "feel" all that fast, could feel some clunks in the drive train when it dropped down a gear to take off. Our '99 GLT feels equally if not quicker off the line.
- under acceleration you could really hear the turbo and the revs.
- I checked the oil and the dip stick had a brown oil stain on most of the entire shaft--yeah I'm nit picking but it only has 26k and its $34k of my money.
- driver's side front door, top rubber moulding was getting pulled in by the window.
- no cargo/security cover, under $200 to buy.
- under $200 to get the roof bars to haul stuff--the ones that are not suppose to make wind noise?
- one wheel had about 2inches of curb rash.

My concern is that this puppy wasn't pampered and the turbo may not have been cooled down or warmed up properly. The guy towed a small boat, not sure what else. They mentioned getting the previous owner's name so I could ask him questions. I don't have a "bad" feeling about the car but for $34k I'd like it to be a hell of a lot cleaner and closer to new looking.

How does it compare, performance wise to a new V70 T5 with the 247hp front wheel drive setup?

Are there certain quirks with these AWD V70s or the Rs in particular?

The sales person was very nice and knowledgeable.

I appreciate any feedback you guys could provide.

Thanks,
Chris

[This message has been edited by 83caddy16v (edited 04-20-2001).]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Chris,

Is this the car that you looked at, at Mooers Volvo, in Richmond?

It sounds like I almost would not touch that car if I were in your position. The dealer retail value for that car should be around $32,800, so by lowering the price, they are not really doing you any favor considering all of the problems it "potentially" has.

I would be a little weary of a premium AWD car that feels out of balance and has a towing/hauling history. Unless you ask the previous owner, you really have no idea of what kind of abuse the car has taken.

There is also a black 99' V70R AWD in New Jersey with 28,450 miles going for $30k.

Besides that, there is a beautiful Saffron Metallic 98' V70R AWD on Ebay, currently with no reserve going for just over $16,000. It is in Pittsburgh.

Best of all, check this one out!

It is in Kingston PA, and has about $2,000 worth of work done to it. It is already chipped, has a high-flow exhaust, and tinted windows, probably pushing close to 290hp. Going for $28,900. A little on the high-mile side though.

-Drew

·
Administrator
55,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Drew.
Yes, the one at Mooers Volvo, in Richmond, is the one I test drove. It needs a few hundred dollars of TLC to getting it looking good. I would have thought the dealer would have had its body shop clean this thing up and ask $36k for it. Maybe they have had it awhile. The window sticker says $35.9, when I called he said $34.9 and when he called back he said $34k.

some picts they emailed me:

I saw that one on ebay it looks really good, but I'd prefer the grey interior. I'm going to keep looking, one is bound to come along.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I don't know. Any prior towing history would scare me unless I knew the guy, but that's just me. These cars are rare, but not impossible. Depending on how serious you are man, I may know someone who can help you out. I know you are local to me, and I know a dealer who is not opposed to finding cars for people, he's actually quite good at it. Shoot me an email privately if you are interested.

·
Administrator
55,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks George, I think I'm going to get a new V70 T5. Performance is probably close between the two. Part of me still prefers the squared bodystyle.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Caddy, my friend at Annapolis has a black/graphite 50K mile '98 that he just picked up. I just sent you an email, but you may want to check it out. They don't have it on the lot yet.

george

1 - 7 of 7 Posts