SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally Non- Inspiring , Transmission !

Where's the Paddles ?

We all Know the Little Rev and Vroom Sound You get when You Down Shift a V50 AWD - Auto - NOPE - It's Not There !

Nothing , but a Time Lag - that - Seemed to Say - What in the Hell is the Transmission Doing ?

The Quietness Forces a Person to Actually Take the Eyes Off the Road to See
Where the Trans Gear Selector is and what Gear - does It Say I'm in .

Well , I can Only Hope the S60 - T6 is Way Better .

Now that said - I didn't Stomp on The Gas and Red-line It or Do a High Rev - Downshift it was a Half throttle to 3/4 an about 3500-4500 Rpm's.

Normal Mode Driving or D the Trans Actually seemed to do Better.

(( Paddle Shifter's and Sport Mode - Crisp-Shifting)) - I'd be Looking to Make a Deal !

Maybe a V60-R , If Volvo Really wants to Start Moving some Units !

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Test Drive - What did - You Think - about the Transmission ? (Needsdecaf)

Maybe a Volvo Tech Could Port another 50 PSI to the Driver Select Mode?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Re: Test Drive - What did - You Think - about the Transmission ? (EngTech)

Well, if the tranny is anything like our V70 then I agree that its totally boring and quite slow. I don't think it was ever intended to be driven in the manumatic mode as the shifts are super slow, especially when compared to the transmission on my TSX (which is not a dual clutch).

Of course, this is an suv so I guess this is expected but I was also disappointed with the S40 and C30 automatic transmissions. The PowerShift Tranny is needed ASAP acoss their car line-up.

·
Registered
558 Posts

Paddle Shifters?? WTF? Get a sports car! And if you want the tranny to shift in 100 milliseconds, well get a Ferrari. Think about what you were driving, a CROSSOVER vehicle!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Test Drive - What did - You Think - about the Transmission ? (WA V50 T5)

At 41,500 Sport Utility Cross Over , with Drive Select , But Doesn't
Respond to Driver's Input ? - Yeah Right !

The Engine is Super Smooth and Happy to Rev - the XC60 has Great Road
Manners and Gearing that will - Keep the Autobahn in Us All Happy.

We just don't have the ( Little ) Mountain roads - like they do in Europe , so Happy to See Volvo put some Road Gearing in the XC60 - that also Helps the
MPG which will be about 4-5 Better then the Volvo's - XC90 .

Which is some what on Par with Others this Size .
The Real - Deal Will be If Volvo Brings the New D5 - with the Dual Turbo Set-Up - that should be Good for 28 MPG and Still be able to Pull a Boat .

Those Diesel Fuel Units would Sell Like Hot Cakes .
Times are Tough Right Now - so They have to Step Up .

SO , No I'm not looking for 10 milliseconds shifts , but when in
Drive Select - It Better do What I Want - When I Want It .

·
Registered
8,839 Posts

As decaf said it takes a couple thousand miles for the tranny to learn a different shifting pattern. My S80 V8 shifts much better now than it did out of the box.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Will the current transmission carry over to the DI engines?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Re: (rfkuehn)

Seriously doubt it as volvo have seemingly commited themselves to less fuel consuming cars, and theyve also stated recently that all (or most-not exactly sure) their cars will be replaced by DSG type trannies within the next 2 years.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (volvocu)

Just a Good Snappy Transmission , when asked or Put in - Sport Mode.

It's going to be a - Large Engineering Feet - to have DSG - on a 4000 lb Cross-Over , with T6 Power .

The Transmission will most likely Respond Better with a - Break-In- Period.

How about a 6 Speed Std. ? - It's Lighter , It's Quicker , It's Better Fuel Wise.

If the XC60 could be had with a Six Speed Std. and a Rally Sport Suspension
1.5 " Lower - ( You Most Likely would not be able to have all the Safety Items with that Configuration . )

Hence the Computer Controlled - DUAL - Power Shifter - If Volvo Could Bring a Beefy Unit to Handle the T6 Power - that would Really Slam the
Competition . - Stepping Up -
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Re: (EngTech)

personally, I think break in periods are a thing of the past. The only engines I've bothered to worry about "breaking in" were my outboard boat motor and snowmobile... Only reason being that the RPMs are pretty much constant when cruising.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: (nobbe3728)

Quote, originally posted by nobbe3728 »
personally, I think break in periods are a thing of the past. The only engines I've bothered to worry about "breaking in" were my outboard boat motor and snowmobile... Only reason being that the RPMs are pretty much constant when cruising.

The tranny is set up to be lazy and economical right out of the box. It needs to learn more aggressive behavior. That takes at least a couple thousand miles. It would be best if they gave you the option of a Sport Mode like they did w/ the old 850 and S70 trans.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Re: (VolvoMax)

These "adaptive" transmissions are a great way to see how your significant other drives a car.

Hey, here's an idea: There are already memory seat functions in cars, how about when you press the saved seat setting, the car realizes who the driver is, and then changes the transmission preference right away! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.