SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to test drive the R at the local dealership and all in all the experience was great. I wanted to take note to a couple things and make sure they would not bother me before I made the purchase (such as the turning radius, ect...).

One thing did bother me though and I am trying to figure out if it is the S60 R or the car I was driving had a problem. First when revving the engine in nuertal the gas pedal felt very sluggish and heavy, it took a lot of pressure to Rev to say 4 - 5k. This continued during driving, as I almost stalled the car twice because I didn't give it enough gas when letting clutch in, it almost felt like I had to pounce on the gas pedal to get enough gas. The salesman had no explination.

I plan on testdriving another one today or tomorrow, but is this normal, has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for replies in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: Test Drive Experience, is this normal (jonecasey)

Hi Jonathan,

The R's engine isn't a fast revving (Honda S2K-like) engine but it sounds to me like you're either a bit uncomfortable driving a stick (b/c of the test drive or just in general) or were just too light on the gas. On a flat surface, you can let the clutch out without touching the accelerator and the car won't stall. It may shudder but it won't stall. Do it too quickly in any car and it will stall. You've got to give it SOME gas if you're going to drive it (but, like I said, that kind of holds true for any car).

The engine definitely turns over more deliberately than a hyper sports car engine, but it's not unusually hard to rev to 4-5K (or at least it shouldn't be). Next time you take it out for a test, just drive it like you would your own car. The R's clutch isn't unusually heavy. It's engagement might take a bit to get used to but it's not difficult to drive (ever drive a Boxster? talk about an awkward clutch at first blush).

-Eric

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Test Drive Experience, is this normal (Sue Esponte)

First off, Ive been driving an Acura RSX Type S for the past 4 years, which does have the same engine as the honda, so in that regard you are right I am used to a fast revving engine. What I am not used to is having to stomp on the gas when starting out, or else the car feels as though it will stall. I actually have driven a Boxster and agree that the clutch takes a lot of getting used too, but the feeling the gas pedal gave me was much worse, almost as if it was very unresponsive, it did the same thing in neutral as well. I am hoping it was a specific problem with the car I drove.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: (jonecasey)

Also the fact that it is a turbo.....the rpm climbing can take some getting used to. I know a couple guys on this site that have had such a hard time with this that they sold their cars. It just takes time to establish a "solid" relationship with your new R. Because of that, once you do get the hang of things, it makes it all that much worth while. Just check out that video with a R and an M5. That alone states alot about the drive, and his relatonship with the R. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Also the R has drive by wire so the throttle isn't connected physically to anything. There is a bit of lag between when the throttle is pressed and when the engine responds.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re:

Maybe I'm not understanding you. When it comes to performance, I've heard people complain about boost and lag issues, lack of power, a deliberate throttle, etc., but never about how a car revs in neutral. The R's engine isn't as zingy as that in fast revving 4 cyl but it's not like trying to walk knee deep through wet sand either. Maybe it was the particular model you drove. Try going to a different dealer and taking one for a drive.

If the revs impacted your driving experience, I might understand the problem. Either way, boost and lag shouldn't have more to do with driving than how the car revs in neutral, so I don't think that has anything to do with what you're experiencing. It might also be worthwhile driving some other Euro-sedans for comparison to see if your preference might be toward something a bit different.

-Eric

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: Test Drive Experience, is this normal (jonecasey)

The lag does take a bit of getting used to. After not driving my own car for a few months, I have trouble getting the launches right. Using Advanced mode helps the throttle response a bit.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
the clutch takes getting used to. most of the time if I let someone drive my car - and they've never driven it before - they stall it.

once you drive the car for a bit - you'll be used to it and it's a non issue.

if you think the car doesn' rev fast enough - go slap on an ECU/dp/exhaust. you'll have all the power and revs you need!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
It almost sounds like the spring mechanism on the gas pedal of the R you drove was overly stiff. As others have said, the engine responds differently than a high-revving 4 cly. but the gas pedal should not be physically hard to push in. Hopefully the 2nd one your drive will be different, or will just confirm that the gas pedal is stiffer than what you're used to.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I kinda understand what he means.
I find this with various cars in which some require more weight on the throttle than others.
I had a Dodge Dakota 4.7 that had such a light throttle that if I went down a bumpy road, the throttle would rev up and down as I hit bumps from my foot bouncing.
My mother had a Cadillac that had great grunt, but you had to stomp on the pedal to get it to the floor.

On another point, each and every car is entirely different in it's speed of revolutions. My Acura Integra used to rev quite quickly as compared to my Lincoln...obviously.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Eric_H)

Thanks for all the responses. Basiclly I found that the gas pedal was very heavy, something I would expect from a pickup, I am hoping that it was particular to the one that I test drove. I have driven plenty of euro sedans and not felt this before. I will be driving another one tomorrow or Thursday and will report on my findings.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts

Two things:

1) The R is a bit slow coming off idle, but once you get around 1500-2000 RPM is much more responsive, especially in advanced mode.

2) The throttle is almost non-responsive when the clutch pedal is not depressed and in neutral. When the clutch is pushed in the engine revs much more freely.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

You may have had an example with a particularly strong pedal spring. As was said above, the R's have e-throttle, so you're not pulling cables, etc.

Also, because the throttle has two maps (one for advanced one for comfort / sport), the non-advanced setting is a bit "deliberate". It's not as bad as, say, an older Mercedes, but it's not hyper either.

Also, the spring in my R is not overly heavy. Now my friend's Boxster would give you a friggin charlie horse in your shin trying to keep that at a constant throttle on the highway.

·
Registered
192 Posts

In the three weeks or so since I've had my V70R, I've also notice a bit of sluggishness right off the mark, but not really related to any kind of gas pedal feel. It could just be turbo lag, but I'm also wondering if it might be the DSTC, which I understand to (among other things) rein in any wheel spin. I know you can turn it off, but given I'll be driving on frozen roads for at least another month, I haven't tried it yet myself to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: Test Drive Experience, is this normal (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
On a flat surface, you can let the clutch out without touching the accelerator and the car won't stall. It may shudder but it won't stall.

Is this true? I just did several tests in the parking lot and stalled every time after shuddering. Idle with no clutch, no throttle, is around 550 rpm. Put the parking brake on, shift into first, and as slowly as possible let off the clutch pedal. Shudder, more shudder, stall. I don't know how you are able to avoid stall in your R this way.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Test Drive Experience, is this normal (vLGrok)

I think he may be experiencing the problem of the high clutch pedal engagment. Once you get used to that, proper pressure on the gas pedal becomes second nature.

When I was driving a rental V40 Diesel and came back to Inga, I killed her a couple of times on the first drive because of completely different clutch/ gas pedal engagement.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts