SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a demo that had just arrived at Boston Volvo for a short drive over the weekend. They had two, a black with a sticker of around 40K and the bronze which was loaded for around 47K. I drove the latter.

The car was very impressive, good handling and acceleration (I have an XC 90 V-8 Sport and previous to that a V70R so my expectations are relatively high) Even the color which I had heard many negative comments about was not too bad in person.

Excellent cargo capacity and beautiful interior. The exterior looked better than in pictures as well. The vehicle should be a big seller.

I can definitely see this as my next car purchase.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for posting your impressions. I like the XC60 as well although I think the cargo hold looks a little small. I'll have to get over to my dealer to take a ride.

It will be hard to move over from the Sport, though! Next year...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (nat_tex)

When comparing it to the XC90 it is certainly smaller capacity wise. Compared to other vehicles in its class it is among the largest behind the second seat. For example the new Audi has 10 cubic feet less capacity.

Based on my family situation I will keep the XC90 but strongly consider the XC60 as my second car.

I guess if we wanted to a practical compromise we'd go with the xc70 which has excellent cargo capacity but doesn't excite me as much as the xc60.

If you drove the 60 I'd be interested in your thoughts on handling as a XC90 Sport owner. When I drive a a regular XC90 I find the ride too soft and wallowy. The xc60 seemed fine to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: (K-!)

I test drove the XC60 this weekend. I was VERY IMPRESSED. The acceleration was definitely great, and the same goes for the ride quality and styling (inside and out). The pod that so many have complained about actually is quite useful. It reminds me of the dash pods in the Saab 9-3s (2003-2007). It is good to have critical info at eye level, but HUD may be a better option if Volvo wants to appeal to a wider audience.

I got to demo the City Safety feature, and it works exactly as advertised.

Also, I tested the XC60 and the Mercedes GLK Class in the same weekend. The GLK, while a good vehicle, just did not measure up in my mind against the XC60. That goes for styling, content (safety features especially), and my perception of quality. Getting out of the GLK and back into my R Class was a jolt, whereas going from the XC60 to the R Class felt smooth.

The only thing that I would ding the XC60 for is fuel economy. Honestly, my R Class posts roughly the same MPG stats as the XC60, and the R Class is a road whale.

Now, will I buy the XC60? The answer is quite possibly. My plan is to see if Volvo gets more generous on lease rates after the first month. With this economy, I think Volvo will need to make it more attractive to get customers to seal the deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »

Which dealer did you go to?

Don Beyer Volvo - as always, had amazing service from sales staff - super knowledgable, not pushy...

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: (S80DC)

I'm very interested in the XC60. The local dealer by me has one (Dalzell Volvo), but the sales staff is way too pushy and test drives turn into a stalker-fast when you try to leave. Boston Volvo is not convenient for a test drive, and you can't really get a feel for the vehicle in that area.

I must say, it looks very nice in person.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (T5 for Life)

Boston Volvo is just a few blocks away from the Mass Pike which is a great place to get a feel for its highway characteristics.

If you can make it there see Ted in sales.

Never any arm twisting in my 25 years buying there.

I had a MT 2004 v70R before my xc90.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.