SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have developed a terrible screech/ squeal behind the instrument cluster near the defroster vents on the drivers side. I know about the blower on the passenger side, but have found nothing about the drivers side. I believe the noise is coming from a defroster blower because the noise goes away when using the defroster. Also, the noise tends to occur when breaking and pulling off. Never happens at speed.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
That's very odd, can you make a video?

I know one thing, is that ONLY in cold weather (winter weather) my blower fan squeaks. It's the most irritating thing EVER.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually this started during this summer, it sounds like maybe the force of stopping and acceleration is making a fan get off axis and making the noise. I doubt that is it because I found nothing about any fans on the driver side.

I will make a video when I can capture the noise as it is randomly timed just always happens when breaking or accelerating from a stop. I will have the wifey hold the phone ready to record it.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
As you stated, there is no fan on that side. If the noise goes away in a defrost mode, I have to think it is HVAC related. Perhaps a stepper motor for operating the HVAC flaps, but that is more of a ratcheting, clicking, sound.

If it were not correlated to the defrost, I would suggest the vacuum pump, which is on the left side engine bay.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Are you sure it's not a belt, and it just sounds like it's coming from the inside? That might be a stupid question... Just eliminating all possibilities.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The noise is rhythmic in the sense that it's pulses and happens (usually) in sets of three as in noise pause noise pause noise and gets more quiet with each "set" I could see it being described as a ratcheting squeak. I know none of this is making much sense and I need to get an audio of it for true help.

I am 99.9% sure it's not coming from the engine bay but since it doesn't happen when stationary just when breaking and accelerating from a light or stop, I cannot be 100%.

I appreciate all the input because I have been trying to figure this one out and searching thoroughly before I asked here as I know some bet aggregated with repeat threads.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The noise is rhythmic in the sense that it's pulses and happens (usually) in sets of three as in noise pause noise pause noise and gets more quiet with each "set" I could see it being described as a ratcheting squeak. I know none of this is making much sense and I need to get an audio of it for true help.

I am 99.9% sure it's not coming from the engine bay but since it doesn't happen when stationary just when breaking and accelerating from a light or stop, I cannot be 100%.

I appreciate all the input because I have been trying to figure this one out and searching thoroughly before I asked here as I know some bet aggregated with repeat threads.
I really wish I could hear it in person. Try and get a good quality video.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts