SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way of disabling the start/stop functionality of the new Drive-E platform? I do not enjoy having to press a button every time I turn the vehicle on, to disable this "feature". Perhaps a solution such as removing a fuse, or bypassing the button. Ideally, I wish that Volvo would take the route that BMW did, see link below. Thoughts?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/13/bmw-allowing-dealers-to-re-program-start-stop/

·
Registered
114 Posts
Does anyone know of a way of disabling the start/stop functionality of the new Drive-E platform? I do not enjoy having to press a button every time I turn the vehicle on, to disable this "feature". Perhaps a solution such as removing a fuse, or bypassing the button. Ideally, I wish that Volvo would take the route that BMW did, see link below. Thoughts?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/13/bmw-allowing-dealers-to-re-program-start-stop/
Just drive with the gear selector in S rather than D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize that driving in Sport mode is an option, however by going that route, we increase fuel consumption, have harsher shifts, higher idle speed, etc.

I'm looking for a way to bypass or disable the auto start-stop without having to push a button every time the vehicle is started or driving permanently in Sport mode. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I realize that driving in Sport mode is an option, however by going that route, we increase fuel consumption, have harsher shifts, higher idle speed, etc.

I'm looking for a way to bypass or disable the auto start-stop without having to push a button every time the vehicle is started or driving permanently in Sport mode. Thoughts?
Cannot be done. Only way is to push the A/S button each time you enter the car or drive in Sport mode.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you unplug your battery monitoring sensor (the small plug on the main battery ground terminal) it will disable Auto Stop/Start.

It will also set a message in your display "Auto Stop/Start Service Required" and you would logically disrupt the battery monitoring sensor.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The error message will go away if you plug the battery monitoring sensor back in.

If you leave it unplugged, you may be able to make it go away the same way you can make other messages go away. That method, however, seems to put you in the same situation you've already stated to be trying to avoid: pushing a button.

While I think the Auto Stop/Stop feature is fantastic, I certainly agree that Volvo should offer software like that of BMW. Clearly it seems a rather simple adjustment for those who desire it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've just made it part of my start-up routine. I press the button to disable the Auto Stop/Start before I shift out Park....it annoyed me a little at first, but now it's just routine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've just made it part of my start-up routine. I press the button to disable the Auto Stop/Start before I shift out Park....it annoyed me a little at first, but now it's just routine.
Same here - its just become second nature to us - start the engine and then press the button to disable the stop/start. Had a bit of a laugh over the last couple of weeks. I've been looking at a new Volvo (V60 or V60CC) and been on a couple of test drives. Three separate salespeople from two separate dealerships - first thing they did after they had started the car (for insurance reasons the salesperson must drive the car away from the yard) was to disable the stop/start. Believe me - very few people like it - especially the way Volvo have implemented the system.

Yes it would be nice to have the choice to disable it totally (as is the choice through coding with BMWs as qaz996 mentioned), but until that happens a simple instinctive push of the button will have to do for now.

Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same here - its just become second nature to us - start the engine and then press the button to disable the stop/start. Had a bit of a laugh over the last couple of weeks. I've been looking at a new Volvo (V60 or V60CC) and been on a couple of test drives. Three separate salespeople from two separate dealerships - first thing they did after they had started the car (for insurance reasons the salesperson must drive the car away from the yard) was to disable the stop/start. Believe me - very few people like it - especially the way Volvo have implemented the system.

Yes it would be nice to have the choice to disable it totally (as is the choice through coding with BMWs as qaz996 mentioned), but until that happens a simple instinctive push of the button will have to do for now.

Tony
How much more wear and tear on the vehicle does eco stop/start really cause - starter, battery, etc.?

Rich G

·
Registered
420 Posts
How much more wear and tear on the vehicle does eco stop/start really cause - starter, battery, etc.?

Rich G
Who knows? No-one can answer that question with any authority given the relatively short history of stop/start not just with Volvo, but across all manufacturers. In another 5-10 years yes we might have an answer. All manufactures beef up their car's electrical system to cope with stop/start. Our main car is an X3 with stop/start (and second car is a C30 T5 without) and in over 4 years the stop/start has been faultless. I don't expect Volvo to be too much different.

My issue with Volvo and its stop/start system isn't with concerns over long term reliability, but rather the way in which the stop/start system operates - and to be fair this is a criticism that can be levied against many manufacturers not just Volvo. Specifically that the engine will restart when you take your foot of the brake - even if you have manually engaged the electronic handbrake. I'm in my late 50s with over 40 years of motoring experience and I'm someone who has always used the handbrake to hold the car (at traffic lights etc) rather than keeping your foot on the brake. But I can no longer do this with at least the 60 series Volvos because as soon as you take your foot off the brake - the bloody engine restarts. Seems to me to totally defeat the purpose of the stop/start system. I wish Volvo would adopt the system used on those BMW and Audi models (with electronic handbrakes equipped with an auto-hold function) which allows you to take your foot off the brake and doesn't restart the engine until you put your foot on the accelerator (which both restarts the engine and releases the electronic handbrake). Works faultlessly on our X3 with next to no delay and I think this system also operates on the new XC90. I don't see why Volvo can't have a similar system in those situation where you have manually engaged the electronic handbrake on 60 series Volvo (and I assume 70 & 80 series Volvos as well).

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts