SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's common knowledge but I found out yesterday why the turn signals and power windows sometimes don't work. It may prevent you from having to run through a full electrical check. Try rotating the key slightly when it is in the "run" mode. At 150K I think the ignition switch is a bit loose and, although the engine is still running, the key rotates just enough to kill the circuit connection to the turn signals and windows (and probably anything else that is "off" when the key is removed. I'm not sure if there is a real concern here or if it's just an occasional annoyance.

Finally replaced the carrier bearing (it was totally shot) and had to have the driveline balanced. Now there is a small but noticeable vibration at 20 - 30 MPH. The driveline was checked - it's ok, wheel balance is ok so I'm not sure what the deal is. I noticed the transmission mount is pretty squishy so I'll try replacing that and see if it clears up a bit. One of the indys said their is some adjustment in the mounting plate for the carrier bearing and repositioning that may solve the problem. George? Anyone? have an idea on that?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ha - should have searched page 2. I'll check the ground wire.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still interested in any carrier bearing input anyone may have though

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Maybe it's common knowledge but I found out yesterday why the turn signals and power windows sometimes don't work. It may prevent you from having to run through a full electrical check. Try rotating the key slightly when it is in the "run" mode. At 150K I think the ignition switch is a bit loose and, although the engine is still running, the key rotates just enough to kill the circuit connection to the turn signals and windows (and probably anything else that is "off" when the key is removed. I'm not sure if there is a real concern here or if it's just an occasional annoyance.

Finally replaced the carrier bearing (it was totally shot) and had to have the driveline balanced. Now there is a small but noticeable vibration at 20 - 30 MPH. The driveline was checked - it's ok, wheel balance is ok so I'm not sure what the deal is. I noticed the transmission mount is pretty squishy so I'll try replacing that and see if it clears up a bit. One of the indys said their is some adjustment in the mounting plate for the carrier bearing and repositioning that may solve the problem. George? Anyone? have an idea on that?
On your '96 960 the driveshaft center support has Volvo Tech papers concerning the positioning of the components on the shaft.

Also, once the shaft is removed from the car it must be spin-balanced on a rig as a complete assembly.

My local Volvo dealer installed THREE new driveshafts (one at a time) in my '96 965 (gone) but the car still had a slight vibration at some speeds.

For more info go here...

http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/960-90Info1.html#960-90 Series Information

George Dill

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks George - I'll try shimming the carrier bearing mounting plate according to the TNN and replace the transmission mount while I'm there. I'll probaby replace the ignition switch as well, and I'm assuming the part you referred to is #1 in the diagram
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=237194
and not the key/tumbler mechanism?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Thanks George - I'll try shimming the carrier bearing mounting plate according to the TNN and replace the transmission mount while I'm there. I'll probaby replace the ignition switch as well, and I'm assuming the part you referred to is #1 in the diagram
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=237194
and not the key/tumbler mechanism?

Chuck
If you have/had (heavy) items swaying on the ignition key ring the probability is high that the key/tumbler mechanism has abnormal wear.

George Dill

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks George, we'll give that one a try. I read somewhere there is a spring mechanism that holds the key in the "run" position, and I suspected it may be worn, since there is some front-to-back play in the key which causes the problem. I'm just not sure if the spring is in the tumbler part (#3) or the electrical connections (#1) in the above link. Since my granddaughter does have about 40 pounds of junk on her key, that is no doubt the source of the grief!

Thanks

Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts