SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear forum members,

Is the Volvo on Call app intented to show temperature at the car/inside the car or is it supposed to be shown some local weatherstation temperature (google maybe)?

This is important especially to to fire up remote start / parking heater.

We live in the cold climate and having one garage and one outside parking spot next to each other and having two cars. Garage is semi-heated, ie. temperature is typically between 5-10C and outside parking place is naturally outside. During winter time temperature goes down to -5C. Even the car is in the garage, Volvo on Call app shows -5C (same temperature as google). Naturally I don't want to fire parking heater while car is in the garage.

Therefore is this knwon feature/bug ? I would expect car to show real temperature of the car, not some data pulled via google/apple.

Thank you for your comments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately, the VoC app only shows the temperature at the vehicle area (ie city), not the specific vehicle location (garage). The thermometer in the car isn't activated until you open door/etc. I live in MN with a heated garage, and my VoC shows my vehicle location temp at the outside temperature, not the garage temperature where the vehicle is. When I get in the car, the temperature on the dash then shows the actual garage temperature. I too was hoping the VoC app would show the actual vehicle location temperature.
Cheers,
JT

·
Registered
806 Posts
Unfortunately, the VoC app only shows the temperature at the vehicle area (ie city), not the specific vehicle location (garage). The thermometer in the car isn't activated until you open door/etc. I live in MN with a heated garage, and my VoC shows my vehicle location temp at the outside temperature, not the garage temperature where the vehicle is. When I get in the car, the temperature on the dash then shows the actual garage temperature. I too was hoping the VoC app would show the actual vehicle location temperature.
Cheers,
JT
That's not what I've experienced. If i park in a heated garage, it shows that temp, and if I park outside it shows that temp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got confirmation from Volvo Sweden that Volvo on Call app only shows "internet" temperature based on the location, nothing to do with the temperature in the car or outside of car.

I don't feel comfortable with this answer, as they have hidden the fact that it is not a true temperature in/at the car. Moreover, such 100k$ car should be able to report its real temperature via app, in case it is able to report other information as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the update, and I agree that I wish it would show the actual temperature being measured by the vehicle.
JT

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
491 Posts
I got confirmation from Volvo Sweden that Volvo on Call app only shows "internet" temperature based on the location, nothing to do with the temperature in the car or outside of car.

I don't feel comfortable with this answer, as they have hidden the fact that it is not a true temperature in/at the car. Moreover, such 100k$ car should be able to report its real temperature via app, in case it is able to report other information as well.
You would only get the last known value and not a constant stream of data. That last value would be the state the car is in at the last drive cycle. The reason it’s internet based is to provide the outside climate so you know if you want to remotely condition the vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You would only get the last known value and not a constant stream of data. That last value would be the state the car is in at the last drive cycle. The reason it’s internet based is to provide the outside climate so you know if you want to remotely condition the vehicle.
Hi,

Thanks for the answer, even it is not what I wanted to hear.

Seems for me like design flaw in electronics, to make temperature measurement such complex. I wuold be very happy, when I start Volvo on Call, it polls temperature. I'm not looking polling data every second, I would say something like every 10min would be good, and only when Volvo on Call app is active.

Other idea would be to use temperature of communication module (I don't know it's exact location, therefore don't know whether it's useful or not).

Let's for example take any automotive LTE module, let's say for example Cinterion/Gemalto ALS3.
https://usermanual.wiki/Gemalto-M2M/ALS3-USR4/html

And let's look it command structure, see
https://dev.seapraha.cz/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/GSM-PLS8-T_command-set.pdf

AT^SCTM should be able to return you the Volvo Communication Module temperature, without waking up the whole car for power saving purposes.

Sorry, this was very simplified ideas...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts