SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<br>I am new to this forum and have a problem with my car.<br>For a while my temperature guage on the '78 244dl has been in the red area (overheating).<br>Here's what I've done to try to fix it:<br>-replace thermostat (twice to no effect)<br>-flush and fill radiator<br>-clean outside of radiator per suggestions found on this board<br>-replace engine coolant temperature sensor<br>-after replacing the ECTS, a mechanic tested the gauge itself with a multimeter, which made the temp gauge move up and down. He did this with the wires connecting to the ECTS. This made him believe the problem was electrical, and that the new ECTS I put in was shorted out the minute I put it in the car.<p>So now I'm not sure what to do next.<p>Also, as long as Ive had the car, the cold - start system has not functioned properly. I put in a new thermo-time switch for it and nothing changed. So to be able to start the car, I installed my own switch that turns on the cold start fuel injector. This works fine for now, but I would like to fix it sometime.<p>Could the overheating and cold-start problem be related?<br>Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br>

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Re: temperature guage query, and cold start (volvoguy1234)

Cold Start Valve: It gets it's power from a second contact from the solenoid on the starter. Check that the wire hasn't come off or some one replaced the starter with a soleoid without the contact. Also check the wiring. The ground comes from the thermal timer.<p>Overheating: Does the radiator boil over or does the gauge just say so?<br>Try and find a infared thermometer and check the temp with that. The voltage stabalizer on the back of the instrument cluster could be bad.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Bob is correct about the voltage stablizer on the back of the insterment cluster. Replace that and that should fix the issue with the readings on your temp gage.<p>He is also right about the cold start system. Check for a black wire with a green tracer that is pluged into the starter solenoid. If that is disconnected or broken that will cause the cold start system not to work. <p>On the passenger side of the engine, between the alternator and the engine block there is a gang of wires that are inbetween that have a tendency to break. Check those too. <p>The wire harnesses in the older Volvos get brittle and you might could need to replace the engine harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.<br>The engine isn't overheating, as it doesn't boil over. I've heard about the voltage stablizer, doesn't it also affect the gas gauge. My gas gauge works fine. I guess it wouldn't hurt to take out the instrument cluster and look at the voltage stabilzer, and I'll check all the wiring and let you guys know what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts