SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all.

The gauge stays right at the bottom, not reading lower than normal temp instead it's as if the key is off; I have coolant, I have heat so it's not that the sensor isn't submerged.

Assuming it's the sensor, shouldn't the ECU be throwing codes?

TIA

· Registered
7,673 Posts
Sure, but many codes don't throw a CEL until they affect emissions.

Do you have VIDA? You can both check for codes and force a gauge needle sweep to rule out the gauge itself being bad.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have VIDA .... but not the DICE. Loaned it to a friend.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disconnected the battery negative and discharged the capacitors by touching the terminals together and all is well.

I should also have mentioned that the fans were going full bore from the moment I would start the engine, sounded like a 737 taxiing down the apron.

· Registered
19,659 Posts
Coolant temp sensor giving a false reading and confusing the ecu most likely

· Registered
2,088 Posts
Yes, try erasing the code.

· Registered
2 Posts
Short Version
04 2.5T S60 FWD
Thank You! You helped me out! Temp Gauge started working after disconnecting battery and touching terminals together.

Long Story:
I replaced radiator and thermostat. And initially i thought i messed up because gauge was not working. AT ALL
No Movement. Car was sitting around and battery got weak.
Thought temp sensor was messed up or new thermostat was to blame.
So i got an entire new assembly. (When I opened the original assembly there was a seal that broke, couldnt repair it)
Then i replaced the entire assembly with the deutch auto part? Cant find them anymore on ebay. they had a green temp sensor and the housing top was held in place with 10mm bolts instead of the torx screws..
After complete install of this part not just the top.
Still didnt work.
and then i tried this trick!
Even pulled fuses like someone else mentioned but it didnt work for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts