SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All instructions I have about Temp setting adjustment of 2009 S40 Timing belt tensioner picture a tensioner as below:
Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Circle Spoke

White Line Daytime Sky Monochrome

But my 2009 s40 old tensioner and the replacement I bought look different, like this:
Auto part Automotive engine timing part Automotive engine part Clutch part Wheel
Anyone know how to adjust temp setting of tensioners like above photo??????????????

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I think your style timing belt tensioner isn't adjustable. You just pull that pin (on the left in your picture) and it springs to proper tension.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
That's the style that came on the car but Volvo changed it to an updated one. I assume you bought an aftermarket timing belt kit?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the pin and torque the center bolt to 20 ft-lb, but waiting to be sure no other adjustment needed before putting balancer and covers on

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"That's the style that came on the car but Volvo changed it to an updated one. I assume you bought an aftermarket timing belt kit?"
1. Yes I bought aftermarket timing belt kit.
2. Is this style that came on the car adjustable? or I just pull the pin and torgue the center bolt?
3. What does the updated one that Volvo changed it to look like? is it like the photo that comes with temp adjustment instruction?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I believe what was posted above is right, you just pull the pin and its self adjusting. But I don't use aftermarket parts. I've only removed that style. The updated one is like in your pictures. You use the 6mm allen to rotate the lever clockwise past the window and then go back to center and torque the bolt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm having trouble finding the instructions for that old tensioner.
IIRC:
1.Adjust it so that you can easily slide that locking pin in and out.
2.Turn the crank a couple revolutions and recheck with the pin.
3.Correct if necessary and repeat 2

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, this is quite different than pull the pin out, bolt the tensioner and it will be self adjusting.When you pull the pin out the 2 holes for locking pin will be way apart.
What you say mean losen center bolt a bit, use a 6mm hex to turn counter clockwise till both holes of locking pin line up, then tighten the center bolt.
Would be nice to get more feedback on this as results of the 2 methods are way different and only one could be correct way to adjust.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I suggest contacting whoever made the aftermarket kit. Volvo installation instructions are for their parts, not every aftermarket part maker.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"But my 2009 s40 old tensioner and the replacement I bought look different, like this:"
Please read the post, the original Volvo old tensioner that I took out look same as the aftermarket tensioner that I bought. So whatever Volvo instruction for installing it
apply to the look alike aftermarket. My post indicated that I did not find installation instruction for my car Volvo brand tensioner and only Volvo instruction found relate to
other type of tensioner that was not used on my 2009 s40.
If you have aftermarket vs Volvo brand issues, this post is not the right place to air it.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Okay, if you want to be like that, that's fine.

Read my post. I said that style was originally used on the engine but was replaced with a different version. So we don't install that version, ever. It came from the factory like that. We take them off when replacing the belt and install the new version, which also requires an updated bolt.

So no, you won't find a Volvo procedure for your aftermarket tensioner because the Volvo procedure is for Volvo parts, which is of a new design.

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You are correct,Vida indicates 30637955 is the version that replaced 30677832 or it's aftermarket look alike that came with my kit.
No problem buying a 30637955 tensioner ( Volvo brand or aftermarket equivalent) as there are plenty for sale on ebay, that is if I find this version replacement of any significant. After all the 30677832 worked on my 2009 s40 for 10 years before I took it off.
Not good that only Volvo adjustment instruction exists for 30637955 and none exist for older version 30677832.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Both tensioners work exactly the same. They both have an index finger that twists counterclockwise with spring tension. The only difference Is that the older style has that locking pin. If the new style had it, it would also spring to the left as soon as you removed it. Neither is self adjusting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, I ordered 30637955, the new style.
Had trouble reaching that index finger to twist counterclockwise. 6mm hex driver on rachet would be two wide
for the space to fit and extra long arm 6mm allen keys are hard to find.
How do you manage to twist index finger counterclockwise?

·
Registered
46 Posts
What I meant to say Is that the spring pulls counterclockwise, but one must twist it clockwise to align the marks. This preloads the spring inside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts