SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

New to the S60 board, but not Swedespeed. I've got an AWD 6 speed V50 right now, that I bought new in March this year. It's got 16k km on it, and it's a problem child. LOTS of headaches, niggly issues, and not so niggly issues. Bottom line is, the car bums me out now, and I no longer want it. I still love driving it, but not with the hassles.

So, I went and drove a FWD S60 T5 6 speed tonight. It's an 05, but never registered, with 300 km on it. It has audio, xenons, sport seats, etc. Nice ride, and my dealer is trying to work out a swap for me. I told him I don't want to be out of pocket at all, and I don't want my payment to change. I just want a Volvo that works. Sticker on my V50 was just over $50k, and the S60 is just under $50k due to $5500 in incentives. I'm hoping they can work the numbers for me.

My sales guy is also going to look for an 06, and tells me there are no real differences between the 2. Anyone offer any insight? What should I look out for with an 05?

Al

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Re: Tell me about an 05 S60 T5 6 speed (Al Canuck)

Quote, originally posted by Al Canuck »
Sticker on my V50 was just over $50k, and the S60 is just under $50k due to $5500 in incentives. I'm hoping they can work the numbers for me. My sales guy is also going to look for an 06, and tells me there are no real differences between the 2. Anyone offer any insight? What should I look out for with an 05?

I assume you are quoting CND$?! That's still pretty expensive, even with the exchange rate. Anyway, I have an 05 T5 GT and I absolutely love it. No major problems to speak of, and the thing is a comfortable rocket. I got mine for $34K (USD) fully loaded back in November of last year. That was a pretty good deal since the sticker was almost $40K at that time. There are no major differences between the 05 and 06, and I would highly recommend picking one up if you have the means! You might even want to consider driving down to King Volvo here in Bellingham to check out their selection, and they usually have some good deals!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tell me about an 05 S60 T5 6 speed (darylkaiser30)

Yes, that's Canuck bucks. Sticker on my V50 was $50910 back in March. Sticker on the 05 S60 T5 6spd is just under $57k. Cars are indeed a little more expensive in Canada than the US.

Question about an 05 vs. 06. The 05 I'm looking at has 17" wheels on it, but the car has sport package as well. Was it just the 06's with sport that had 18's?

Al

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Tell me about an 05 S60 T5 6 speed (dugums)

Dugums, I'm not quite sure how long, but I know it's been a while. They've got 07's now, but these are their last 2 05's. The other one is a black S60 T5, split upholstery, 6 speed, 16" wheels, no sunroof, etc. They JUST sold the S40 AWD that I test drove back in March, and they still have the V50 2.4i that I also drove. All these old timers are manual gearboxes.

Al

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

Yes, that's Canuck bucks. Sticker on my V50 was $50910 back in March. Sticker on the 05 S60 T5 6spd is just under $57k. Cars are indeed a little more expensive in Canada than the US. Question about an 05 vs. 06. The 05 I'm looking at has 17" wheels on it, but the car has sport package as well. Was it just the 06's with sport that had 18's?

Yes, I believe so. My stock 'Orpheus' rims were 17" and I don't think they offered 18" rims on the 05 T5 either. I wasn't willing to shell out another $2K for 18" rims at the time. Besides, the 17" rims weigh less and will give you a better ride, and the handling differences (if any) are negligible, IMHO. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

Be sure to blow the cobwebs out before buying:

Tire condition, battery condition, rotor condition and paint condition would be my main concerns...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I called then in advance, and told them I was coming to drive the car. When I got there, it had been recently washed, and showed some dirty water streaks on the Ice White paint. We took it for an AMAZING test drive, and all felt very well. The car has 393km on it, and everything seems in order. Tires are Pirelli P6, no marks on the paint, and the mechanical bits are all under warranty.

The test drive route at Volvo of North Vancouver is incredible - http://modena.intergate.ca/per...d.htm - It was a warm summer night, and I was able to really enjoy the road up to the top. Cypress Road is a mountain road, full of hairpins, straights, and switchbacks. We managed to get over 140km/h in a few spots, got the DSTC working a little bit, and managed to get the brakes a little smelly. In other words, no cobwebs left in this beast.

One thing I did notice though, was a rattle/buzz from the roof area under hard acceleration. Maybe the sunroof shade, but I can't be sure.

Al

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Another question about the 05. I'm pretty certain the one I drove has sport package, but I can't remember for sure, and it's driving me nuts. It has DSTC, so is that only available with sport package, same as the S40/V50? This one has DSTC for sure, so if that is a certain that it has sport, then I can put my mind at ease. Also, did the sport in 05 have the C Four chassis?

Al

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

So DSTC doesn't necessarily mean it has sport package. Hmmm, wish I knew for sure, but I've had a serious brain fart on this. Can't really see how an S60 would get to $57k without it though.

EDIT - Just looked at Volvo Canada site. Seems that DSTC is not standard on T5, even for 06. STC is, but not DSTC.

Al

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

The test drive route at Volvo of North Vancouver is incredible - http://modena.intergate.ca/per...d.htm - It was a warm summer night, and I was able to really enjoy the road up to the top. Cypress Road is a mountain road, full of hairpins, straights, and switchbacks. We managed to get over 140km/h in a few spots, got the DSTC working a little bit, and managed to get the brakes a little smelly. In other words, no cobwebs left in this beast. One thing I did notice though, was a rattle/buzz from the roof area under hard acceleration. Maybe the sunroof shade, but I can't be sure.

Very nice. My parents have a condo in West Van, and my aunt and uncle live at the foot of Grouse Mountain in North Van. We go up there all the time. Scenery aside, mine has a the same little rattle in the sunroof on occasion as well...

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

Another question about the 05. I'm pretty certain the one I drove has sport package, but I can't remember for sure, and it's driving me nuts. It has DSTC, so is that only available with sport package, same as the S40/V50? This one has DSTC for sure, so if that is a certain that it has sport, then I can put my mind at ease. Also, did the sport in 05 have the C Four chassis?

I think DSTC is standard on all T5 models, but none of them offer the 4C chassis. Most, if not all, T5 models have the sport suspension as standard. It's tight, but I like it better than feeling like I'm driving a sofa...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yeah, that Cypress Rd is a helluva test drive. I took the AWD S40 6 speed up there last March. It was raining like hell in North Van, but snowing like hell on the mountain. Kinda nice to have been on 2 separate test drives, in 2 different Volvos, in such drastically different weather conditions.

I'm glad I was able to drive the FWD T5 in dry conditions. I was worried it was going to handle like a FWD car, but it was really nice. Very planted, tons of grip on the 235's, neutral handling. Only once did the car exhibit any FWD understeer on the entire drive.

Al

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Volvo Canada lists the comfort chassis as standard in the T5, and the 4 C Active Chassis comes with the $4500 sport package. That same package is the only way to get DSTC up here as well. That's 06/07, not sure about 05.

I'm driving a 2.5T AWD loaner right now, and it is very much like driving a Swedish sofa. The T5 is much tighter, with or without 4C.

Al

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So, I took a quick run past the white T5 again tonight. It has Orestes wheels on it, which seems odd to me. According to 06 brochure, those are 2.5t sport package wheels, not T5 at all.

Al

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
Re: (Bender)

Quote, originally posted by Bender »
hummm i think this car needs a car fax. I am starting to think it may have been in an accident.

try to catch them in a lie too by asking them if those are the "stock" wheels for the car.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

That's surprising that DSTC became standard on T5's here in the U.S. and not in Canada.... That sucks!!

·
Registered
11,939 Posts

Quote, originally posted by darylkaiser30 »
I think DSTC is standard on all T5 models, but none of them offer the 4C chassis. Most, if not all, T5 models have the sport suspension as standard. It's tight, but I like it better than feeling like I'm driving a sofa...

DSTC has been standard on S60/V70 T5s in the USA since 2001. 4C is available on just about any S60/V70/S80 model in MY 2006, not sure about 2005. My parents even got 4C in their 2006 XC70!

The sport suspension on T5s comes with 17 or 18 inch wheels I think. Only the ones with 16s have the base suspension.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.