SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing that on several occasions the ratchet on the telescoping steering column doesn't hold tight, allowing the column to play in and out.

Is there some way for me to tighten the ratchet so that I can eliminate this issue? :confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Woooooah.. Wait a minute... SO your steering wheel goes "in and out" not only "up and down"?

Mine only goes up and down.. Is it only the V70R that has the telescopic wheel?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yes. They all are supposed to move up/down and fore/aft. Take off the plastic column covers and there should be a nut on the oppostie side of the tilter that you can snug up. Be gentle with the plastic handle as they can break. Especially if you/previous owner has become rough with it out of frustration.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Woooooah.. Wait a minute... SO your steering wheel goes "in and out" not only "up and down"?

lol. Sucks for you man. They are all tilt/telescope

·
Registered
4,789 Posts

Lol, this is like the first time I discovered seat pockets.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The front seat pockets or the back seat pockets? LOL!

Guess I'm too spoiled from driving so many Volvos over the years... Dad's old 164 had the front seat pockets, so I found them right away.. really missed them in the 240's...

Back seat pockets are just pedestrian.... seems like every Volvo ever had them...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lol, this is like the first time I discovered seat pockets.
HAHA i was the same way!!! I call them my kangaroo pouches. I was super sleepy on night and forgot i put my wallet in it. A day later after searching everywhere for my wallet i moved my seat back and had a light bulb moment. HAHA

Im getting my concealed hand gun license and i was thinking the pouch is a perfect place for a small hand gun.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow best thread ever.. I did find the seat pocket pretty early on probably a couple weeks in. Its now my tissue box :)

At 1:30am I went out to my car unlocked the wheel tilt and pulled back hard and clunk! Came towards me! You have no idea how happy I am.. I'm very tall so my seat is far back. I used to have to balance my Elbow on bolster and only a couple fingers reached the wheel. This is awesome!!

I've driven other volvos with the optionbut my r wheel always seemed too tight to move that way. My friend has had one for 3 or 4 years wait till I tell him!

·
Registered
998 Posts
i had my R for a good 6 months before i found out about seat pockets lol
+1!! My case was worse: car came with navi, and the remote was stuck in passenger seat pocket - I only found it 6 months later...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. They all are supposed to move up/down and fore/aft. Take off the plastic column covers and there should be a nut on the oppostie side of the tilter that you can snug up. Be gentle with the plastic handle as they can break. Especially if you/previous owner has become rough with it out of frustration.
I've taken a couple of stabs at trying to tighten up the nut on the right side of the steering column. I have tried to tighten it using a torx=40 bit held by vice grips and a wrench on the square piece underneath the steering column. I have got it as snug as I can without removing the steering column, but the fore-aft adjustment still does not lock down.

On occasion, the steering wheel slides forward during heavy braking, which is obviously not a good thing. :eek:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Have you tried loosening it up, checking the bolt to make sure it's seated properly, then reinstall/tightening it?

You can look for a broken pawl/pin/tab piece if you take it apart to see if it sheared (and needs replacement). Not common, but not unheard of. Did someone bang hard into the wheel at some point?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried loosening it up, checking the bolt to make sure it's seated properly, then reinstall/tightening it?

You can look for a broken pawl/pin/tab piece if you take it apart to see if it sheared (and needs replacement). Not common, but not unheard of. Did someone bang hard into the wheel at some point?
Thanks for the info. I haven't tried to take it apart -- probably because of the tight fit without removing the entire lower dash panel. Where would the broken pawl/pin/tab be (assuming that it might be broken)?

Not sure what you mean about the bolt being seated properly. It appears that it is in the correct position, since the up/down positioning locks prope

1 - 15 of 15 Posts