SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife just told me that our 16-yr old has been flipping on the parking brake while she's driving. Apparently it's "happened" a couple times.
(Don't ask me why....)

Is it bad for the car?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You should see a red "park" illuminated on the top part of your dashboard if parking brake is engaged. I think the system should prevent that above certain speed? Otherwise you can drift your XC90.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Parking brake is released when car starts moving. Just try it from standstill you should see it happen.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wife just told me that our 16-yr old has been flipping on the parking brake while she's driving. Apparently it's "happened" a couple times.
(Don't ask me why....)

Is it bad for the car?
More importantly, how about he / she just stops flipping on the parking brake while the car is being driven?

·
Registered
383 Posts
My parents would've slapped me over the head and then kicked me out of the car if I did that when I was younger.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well as advised from the s60 manual moons ago, you risk reduced tire life, potential loss of control of vechical, and / or brake life, if used while in motion.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well as advised from the s60 manual moons ago, you risk reduced tire life, potential loss of control of vechical, and / or brake life, if used while in motion.
In the XC90 manual it says that you have to pull it and hold it to use it as an emergency brake, so doesn't do anything if you just flip it while driving (as expected, being a switch)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My parents would've slapped me over the head and then kicked me out of the car if I did that when I was younger.
As it was rolling down the road, yup mine too!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I really want to know why she was flipping it on... Just curious.
Perhaps disbelief when friends told her about electronic e-brake switches and trying to see if there’s still a hope :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
+1 Exactly what I would have done to any of my kids if they did that. Also, it can damage you E brake.

·
Registered
654 Posts
In the XC90 manual it says that you have to pull it and hold it to use it as an emergency brake, so doesn't do anything if you just flip it while driving (as expected, being a switch)
Yes, you actually have to hold the parking brake up for it to apply while moving and as soon as you release it, it stops applying. She'd know if it was applied as well, it's pretty loud and you can feel the rear wheels grab.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More importantly, how about he / she just stops flipping on the parking brake while the car is being driven?
That would be great!

I'd slap him too if I were driving

I really want to know why she was flipping it on... Just curious.
Teen being a teen

Yes, you actually have to hold the parking brake up for it to apply while moving and as soon as you release it, it stops applying. She'd know if it was applied as well, it's pretty loud and you can feel the rear wheels grab.
Supposedly the car lurched. I wasn't around.

·
Registered
994 Posts
As a car guy I'd have to say I'd sort of be proud of my kid for trying handbrake turns (if in fact that's what she was doing). I'd also be pissed for doing so on the wrong type of car...high profile, rollover risk, etc.

Pulling the parking brake on the XC90 actuates the rear brake calipers. So from a damage perspective it's akin to slamming on the rear brakes only. Hard on pads/rotors and rear suspension, flat spot the rear tires, etc are the results. My main concern would be rollover risk or hitting something if they get sideways with the rears locked up.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a car guy I'd have to say I'd sort of be proud of my kid for trying handbrake turns (if in fact that's what she was doing). I'd also be pissed for doing so on the wrong type of car...high profile, rollover risk, etc.

Pulling the parking brake on the XC90 actuates the rear brake calipers. So from a damage perspective it's akin to slamming on the rear brakes only. Hard on pads/rotors and rear suspension, flat spot the rear tires, etc are the results. My main concern would be rollover risk or hitting something if they get sideways with the rears locked up.
Mom was driving, kid playing with the controls.

Why do kids drink/smoke even when they're not "supposed to"? Just being kids ;-) (and mom not being very attentive)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 2 year old that plays with the buttons. I’m hoping that by the time he is 16, we have moved beyond this
Yeah I would hope so too! Well he'll have a license in a couple months, after that he's on his own! (LOL)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Supposedly the car lurched. I wasn't around.
Sounds like it applied and stopped when he let go. I wouldn't recommend doing it on a daily basis, but it shouldn't cause any issues. Always good to know your safety systems work as intended.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

Why do kids drink/smoke even when they're not "supposed to"? Just being kids ;-) (and mom not being very attentive)
!!!!!
Wow that’s really dangerous! As the driver, I’m sure it was unexpected for your wife and being unplanned by the driver could have created a bad situation. I thought your kid was the one behind the wheel and flipping the switch while driving, not that she was messing with rear brakes while not also in control of the car.

·
Registered
994 Posts

I misunderstood...I thought you were talking about a teen driver taking the car out and pulling the parking brake button for fun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts