SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to have my gas tank and fuel pump replaced due to sludge. I thought a dose of Techron would help deal with anything that got through the first filter, so should I use the injector cleaner or the fuel system cleaner?

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I've never heard of sludge in a gas tank. I wonder if Volvo lined it with something that broke down over time.

Or were you using 87 octane all the time? 87 octane is terrible, it's basically like whiskey p1ss. You may as well urinate in your tank after a hard night of drinking. Especially for a turbo car, you want to be using the highest octane available and then even using a fuel system cleaner a few times a year, and then driving the car like you stole it a few times during that tank. It helps too if you change the fuel filter at the required service interval.

If you really wanted to you could remove your fuel injectors and send them out to get flow tested. The technician who tests them will tell you whether or not they need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I run a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner through the cars at every oil change (5k intervals). Never had an issue.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've never heard of sludge in a gas tank. I wonder if Volvo lined it with something that broke down over time.

Or were you using 87 octane all the time? 87 octane is terrible, it's basically like whiskey p1ss. You may as well urinate in your tank after a hard night of drinking. Especially for a turbo car, you want to be using the highest octane available and then even using a fuel system cleaner a few times a year, and then driving the car like you stole it a few times during that tank. It helps too if you change the fuel filter at the required service interval.

If you really wanted to you could remove your fuel injectors and send them out to get flow tested. The technician who tests them will tell you whether or not they need to be cleaned.
explain what's so wrong with 87 octane as compared to higher octane fuels. This i'd love to hear. If the manufacturer specified that 87 octane fuel is more than adequate for the motor, you are doing no harm. Higher octane fuels may offer better performance and better fuel economy if the computer of the car is able to advance or retard timing to prevent detonation, but money wise ,it's cheaper to run 87 octane vs cost per mile.
Some stations have more cleaners in their higher octane fuels compared to their lower octane offerings, but the 87 octane does no harm.
All fuels sold in the U.S. have to meet a minimum amount of cleaner in their fuels.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Had to have my gas tank and fuel pump replaced due to sludge. I thought a dose of Techron would help deal with anything that got through the first filter, so should I use the injector cleaner or the fuel system cleaner?
Sounds more like you got contaminated fuel from wherever you last purchased gas.

Can of Techron won't hurt with a full tank but gas already has detergents so its really not needed at all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Had to have my gas tank and fuel pump replaced due to sludge.
I agree with Oceans60R. Sounds like the sludge came from a gas station. Why did the gas tank need to be replaced? Would rinsing it out not get rid of the sludge or was the labour cost to remove the tank to rinse it so much that a new tank was justified? I think the maintenance schedule on one of my cars from several years ago recommended unscrewing fuel tank drains to flush out any sediment every five years but I have not heard that recently.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. I have only ever used premium gas.
2. The fuel level sender was wildly fluctuating, and the code verified that it wasn't working.
3. The tech said the float, sender, and the pump were ruined by sludge.
4. I do trust the tech & service writer.
5. Replacing the sender alone required dropping the tank, and I was going to have the pump replaced at the same time, regardless of the diagnosis, given the labor costs with the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This seems odd that this would happen. I do agree that fuel grade has nothing to do with it.
Not a common thing to happen and one has to wonder why it happened.
Do you usually fill up from the same gas station or you use different ones?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I've seen from time to time customers getting bad or contaminated fuel. Doesn't matter the octane rating which is just resistance to knock. All fuels have detergent levels required for sale. I've also seen vehicles come in with high levels of alcohol, which also attracts moisture. That can either be a blending problem at distribution or some shady gas station owners cutting their fuel (it happens more often than you think). Also see a few vehicles come in with E85 instead of E10.

A few years back we started seeing a string of vehicles being towed in for no starts after filling up with fuel. Turns out there was a fuel delivery driver being trained on a route and the "trainer" fell asleep so the new guy decided to go ahead and fill the gas station tanks. He inadvertently filled the 93 tank with diesel and the diesel tank with 93. Two of the vehicles (BMW's) needed tanks, pumps, injectors, and plugs. There were two others that only had put a few gallons in their cars and were running poorly but only needed the tank drained, any filters replaced and spark plugs.

It was probably a good idea they replaced the tank and pump as you don't want any residual garbage in there. You may want to avoid the last station you used just in case that's where the contaminated fuel came from. And you might want to ask around if anyone else in your area experienced similar issues. Its not a common thing but does happen from time to time due to mistakes. Everyone is human.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts