SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember the graph of the : True Working Compression of a Turbo Motor ..

I Believe it showed about 16:1 for a Normal 12 Psi Turbo Motor - Motor Showing a Static Compression Ratio of 9:1

Tuned Motor would be getting up in the 19:1 - 21:1 running a K16 with 21 Psi .. or around there ..

Just Looking at the B5254T12 - which was De-Stroked 1 mm , but had it's Compression Ratio - Bumped Up to 9.5 : 1 - above
Our B5254T5-7

This Attempt by Volvo to Use the T5 one last time , Hoping to raise it's Eff% and Gain a Little power ( Low Cost Method ) May have Actually
Pushed the Late T5 a little too Far or was just to much Cost Cutting ??

The Head Gaskets - look the same , anyone have anything on this Motor ( Might be a Good Parts ) Source :beer:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I would love to find some more cross compatibility. Its frustrating that the <2004.5 T5 and S60 T5 can be had for $400 but ours start at around $1600.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Recall Volvo - saying that They couldn't Fit the - 6 Speed into the V50/S40 - Chassis ..
But I Felt If they had only made the Chassis a little wider , We could have had a 6 speed Auto - FWD - getting 34 Mpg .. average .

I Looked at the 2 motors and it seemed the 6 speed would bolt up ,but don't recall 100% .. ( Seeing Guys are Building Motors anyhow )
A 1 mm De-stroked and then boring for Quality Pistons for K16 or just - Re_Ringing for a Swamp Out - might be a Lower Cost Alternative . .

I Believe it's the same Turbo also , so on any Oil Burners - that are being Dumped ( CHEAP ) = Good Parts . .

Just Use one of the Parts House and Check Part Numbers against the Different Yrs.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really Would like to see a Good Motor Head - do a Engine Cradle - Comparison .
It'd Be Cool If someone could get the Entire Drive Line to Fit _ 6 Speed and All ..

Today's Version the 4 cly. with 8 Speed - would most likely Fit - But those would be Expensive ..

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I guess I dont understand what you are trying to achieve. If you are looking for better MPG go with narrow high MPG tires. FWIW the ULEV tune is FAR from optimal for peak MPG. The AFR is 14.7 across the board. Most high MPG tunes run quite lean at light loads. For example, honda guys who tune for milage can see as high as 15.5:1 at highway cruse with appropriate ignition timing. Even if it does ping with that light a load damage is not likely.

If you are looking for a crazy engine swap the V8 fits but only bolts to the auto. A V8 plus adapter plate mated to the M66 and AWD would be nuts and it would fit. When I worked for an OEM supplier, we hit 600+ HP (VERY EASILY) on all stock internals when testing the Volvo V8 for Noble Supercars.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I guess I dont understand what you are trying to achieve. If you are looking for better MPG go with narrow high MPG tires. FWIW the ULEV tune is FAR from optimal for peak MPG. The AFR is 14.7 across the board. Most high MPG tunes run quite lean at light loads. For example, honda guys who tune for milage can see as high as 15.5:1 at highway cruse with appropriate ignition timing. Even if it does ping with that light a load damage is not likely.

If you are looking for a crazy engine swap the V8 fits but only bolts to the auto. A V8 plus adapter plate mated to the M66 and AWD would be nuts and it would fit. When I worked for an OEM supplier, we hit 600+ HP (VERY EASILY) on all stock internals when testing the Volvo V8 for Noble Supercars.
I have seen the Noble - have any Link for the V8 Adapter Plate and the M66 is Transverse - Not Longitudinal - well You know what I'm saying about Your statement .

Part Numbers etc.

I was just about the Different Possibilities mostly to Source Parts and secondly some of the Other Models - Mechanistically Could be Swapped out
with some Axle Mods and Chassis Mods , ECU etc. Wondering If anyone had looked into Parts of those Motors .

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1243821897/photos/2573276/volvo-s40-v8-6113

Its been done. The V8 only bolts to the AT transmission from what I understand. I looked at quite a few bell housings to see if there was as cross match that would work. No adapter exists for the M66 to V8 that I know of.

As far as other chasseis that match up. Yea there are a lot of things but the engine its the tricky issue we have. Im suprised nobody has done a spreadsheet with all the crosses to other models etc...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Do tell me more, tell me more about all the stupid potential my new toy has. :3 Think the wife would notice if her engine ended up in my car?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Idea about the Rant `\ : - )

Next - back to the B5254T12 - which Volvo refer's to as the B5254T5
Technically speaking Our - T5 is the B5254T3 - which ranges up the B5254T7 in the C30 - so Hence the B5254T12 . .

You will see in the : HIGH Oil Consumption - pdf.
Listed as a T5 - even Thou these Motors were Actually
Produced ( 46th Week of 2010 - Till - 19th Week of 2013 ) This seems to be Clearly into the 2011 Model Yr. )

https://images.firstcallonline.com/parts/img/motor2/130443.pdf

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Sorry for the off topic. So what exactly are you suggesting with the T12?

·
Registered
834 Posts
If I'm interpreting him properly, he was just saying that all those -T12 motors that had the oil burn issues might be cheap cores for rebuilding our -T3 and -T7's.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Interpreting lol. I cant tell if EngTech is a Tennessee blue mountain man or if he is from Sweden. Good idea though. The problem is, those blocks are even more expensive. The best I can do for a 2004+ working engine is well over $1000. S60 T5s can be has for $400-$500 running in A grade!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts