SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,just an informal survey here for TDS buyers...Did you pay tax on the full purchase price or on the "used car value" at the time of registration?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by VaughnsVolvo:
Hey guys,just an informal survey here for TDS buyers...Did you pay tax on the full purchase price or on the "used car value" at the time of registration?

Based upon my experience, unless the car has been out of the country for a period of 6 months or more or has at least 1,000 miles, you must pay the full tax. If you meet the above conditions, then your tax gets lowered a little but your car will be titles as "pre-owned" and that will reflect upon its value later.

Either way they get you!

Yannis

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Yannis,somehow I knew you would be first to reply to this one
.still I'm curious to how the various states handle this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Actually, I believe in California if the car is outside the state for more than 3 to 6 months then there isn't any sales tax at all when you bring it in. I, of course, couldn't wait that long, so I paid the tax when the car was purchased. But if you know someone you can leave the car with overseas, leave it with them and just go back 6 months later and drop it off at the shipping center.

This law was effected when folks brought in their cars into the state that were owned by their immediate families--there were so many complaints that they allowed the 'used' car to come in tax-free. Find a state that will do that and you'll save a mint!!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by VaughnsVolvo:
BTW Yannis...Volvo replaced my front bumper before they shipped my car,God bless 'em!
Good for you! Wow, I am a bit surprised!

Yannis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts