SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a slight boost issue. Basically the boost build and cut off is sometime very abrupt. And I noticed that there was what seems to be a flutter around 3K RPM at heavy load on 6th gear that I can only assume to be the boost cutting in and out. It was odd stutter/flutter feeling. The car has 141K miles and had a new factory turbo put in about 20,000 miles ago. So I am suspecting the issue is TCV. Anyways, I need some input/clarifications.
- IPDHD TCV seems to have mixed review. So I think I will stick with OEM/Pierburg
- Pierburg has 2 different part numbers listed. One is 30670448 and the other is 30670449.

Images thanks to www.eeuroparts.com

Anyways, both TCVs are showing up on various sites as being compatible with our caRs. Obviously the reason for the discussion is the 30670448 is cheaper. Is there a difference? Should I stick with one or the other? Thoughts are appreciated.

Also, if there is any other TCV that I should consider, then let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm not so sure the problem is with TCV...

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If you have what feels like a power stutter around peak torque (3K RPM) it could also be bad coils and/or plugs. Been there, done that. Feels like the power going on and off a couple times a second as the boost goes up, spark snuffs out, boost drops, spark resumes and the cycle quickly repeats itself.

Took me a while to figure it out since the problem won't trigger misfire codes till it gets really bad.

·
Registered
569 Posts
As for the original question. I've used both. The only difference is the mounting. The 30670448 (used, came off from another Volvo) was only temporary on my car, till I was able to source the 30670449. No difference in performance whatsoever.
To test your original TCV, take it off, release the clamps and unplug the hoses. Try to blow through each valve, if one of them feels stuck or you can't blow trough freely without very minimal resistance, then the issue is the TCV. Also would suggest to check the hoses for cracks. Usually it cracks next to the valve, which you can correct by cutting off a small piece.

And yes, stock/pierburg only!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
As for the original question. I've used both. The only difference is the mounting. The 30670448 (used, came off from another Volvo) was only temporary on my car, till I was able to source the 30670449. No difference in performance whatsoever.
To test your original TCV, take it off, release the clamps and unplug the hoses. Try to blow through each valve, if one of them feels stuck or you can't blow trough freely without very minimal resistance, then the issue is the TCV. Also would suggest to check the hoses for cracks. Usually it cracks next to the valve, which you can correct by cutting off a small piece.

That is wrong. TCV solenoid sits closed at full feed from compressor cover -> wastegate when no duty cycle is applied.
This test is useless.

·
Registered
489 Posts
OEM TCV only i'd suggest personally.

he problem with solenoids running them at 95-100 DC will burn them out faster than stock, and with the K24 a lot of maps do. You also need it to make power in some ranges.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have what feels like a power stutter around peak torque (3K RPM) it could also be bad coils and/or plugs. Been there, done that. Feels like the power going on and off a couple times a second as the boost goes up, spark snuffs out, boost drops, spark resumes and the cycle quickly repeats itself.

Took me a while to figure it out since the problem won't trigger misfire codes till it gets really bad.
Thanks for the heads up. May explorer that way.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the info. What I was looking for.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Stock Only!

http://www.vivaperformance.com/genuine-volvo-turbo-control-valve-tcv/
or if you want HD then you can use the pierburg BCS from a Porche.

http://www.vivaperformance.com/high-performance-turbo-control-valve-tcv-upgrade/

Also, are you sure this is a boost control issue? How is the ignition system? Might be a misfire.
Just to clarify, the High Performance TCV Upgrade we offer is *not* used in any Porsche models. There is no "HD" Porsche TCV available, although others claim and offer one! The High Performance TCV Upgrade is exclusive to ViVA Performance.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just to clarify, the High Performance TCV Upgrade we offer is *not* used in any Porsche models. There is no "HD" Porsche TCV available, although others claim and offer one! The High Performance TCV Upgrade is exclusive to ViVA Performance.
It's off the EFR turbo iirc, so stock but probably better being from a bigger output car, not sure on that though. Educated guess ;)

If it can handle more prolonged high DC then perfect. The others, like MAC no in my experience.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the stock one from FCPeuro. I am not sure whether to thank FCP or UPS... none the less it arrived within one day of order. I am happy.

I will pop it in this weekend and report back of the symptoms.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not a challenge but curious why you say this one is the best.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A question... do I need to do anything special to replace the TCV other than just disconnect and reconnect?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts