SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Tate 2999’s Volvo 855 Platinum Wagon Thread

51K views 1K replies 36 participants last post by  Tate2999 
#1 ·
My love for Volvos began on March 3rd, 2013 when I watched James may pull up to the Africa special in a Volvo 850R. I liked it 10x more than the WRX and the BMW estate because it didn’t try to be anything more than what it was: a simple, elegant turbo wagon. Years passed, and I went through several different Japanese cars, ranging from a 2003 Nissan Maxima to a 2013 Infiniti G37, with other Japanese sedans in between. I wanted a change. So in June of 2021, I found a 2007 V70R for sale in Washington, and with 10 grand in my hand I flew to Seattle and drove it home. It was a whirlwind romance, and 3 grand later, multiple “strap in buddy” chuckles from other R Owners, several hundred anxious miles, and many visits to my local Indy, I sold it to a neighbor who enjoys it thoroughly with his wife and kids. I loved the R very much, but still being in college and getting married soon, the R just made me too anxious and too jumpy. I still had a yearning for Volvos though. I loved the Indy mechanic, and asked if I could come and “intern” and learn how to work on these machines. They said yes, and since then I have worked there, getting hundreds of hours working on Volvos of all ages, learning their ins and outs. I bought other Volvos, a 760 turbo with a bad head that I sold to another young Volvo enthusiast, and a 240 wagon, but I was still missing something. I missed the whisp of turbo flutter and the sound of a 5 cylinder. It wasn’t until I was driving a customers beaten down 850 R wagon to the dealership for parts that I realized: this is what I’ve been looking for. I want something quick, something utilitarian, and something that was untainted by Ford’s hands.

So my journey began to look for my P80 wagon. And almost as soon as it started, the Facebook listing for a beautiful platinum wagon showed up in the February 2022 unaffiliated thread. I saw that it was listed as being in Hobbs, NM, which is a small town on the border between NM and TX. My father had lived there for several years as a child, his father was the factory manager for Levi’s at the time. I messaged the seller, and through many gaps in him checking his Facebook messages, we finally struck deal. I had to pay a pretty penny for shipping it here to SLC, but when she came, I couldn’t have been happier.
Automotive parking light Cloud Car Sky Tire

The Platinum’s previous life:

She rolled off the line in March of 1996, and was purchased from the Volvo dealership in Walnut Creek, CA. The owner was a Cuban-American old woman who loved the car greatly. She had the car serviced only by the dealership from that point on, not even an oil change. She passed away in 2016, and the car was kept under a carport for approximately 4 years. The car, never having been tinted, suffered from the heat a bit, drying up and destroying the upper door cards by the windows. The shift knob is also hard and cracked, and the seats have seen better days. The backseats, to the sellers knowledge, had never been sat in, as she (his great aunt) never had children and rarely left the house. This is evident, as she only racked up 100,617 miles (5030 miles per year). The seller only started the car up every week or so and drove it around the block in order to keep everything running correctly. He repaired a few things himself, saying that he replaced the struts, the serpentine belt, and had a replacement heater core ready to be put in. The car seems to be kind of low, I need to put it on the lift, I think he may have cut the springs 🙄.

Initial reaction:

When it arrived, I was so taken by it. It was absolutely stunning. Not a single scratch on it. There is one tiny flaw, which I will make a post about later, but it should be easily fixable. The paint is in fantastic condition, even after sitting. I would say 8/10. There is a crack in the drivers side headlight, but other than that, it really doesn’t have much wrong with it, besides scrapes under the front fender. The tires were absolutely rotted, completely dried and cracked. I was able to take it to our tire guys and they put a set of all seasons that only had 5k miles on them on the current wheels for only 180 bucks.

My plans:

The serpentine belt that was put on is the wrong belt, it’s too thin in width and in depth, so I have ordered a new belt to replace it. I will be replacing the heater core, because although it is not leaking, I would rather do it now than later when it starts. Do most people do genuine Volvo? Or is there a good aftermarket alternative people like?

Next, I will be junkyard hunting for new door cards to replace the burnt up ones. I will also replace the shift knob. The rear seats only need to be leatheriqued and brought back to life, they’re very stale as of right now. The front seats I will be replacing

Question: I may be able to get hold of an entire mint interior from an 850R wagon, should I pay up and switch the entire interior out? Let me know what you think.

Once I completely stage 0 the car, I have a couple ideas for what I can do. From the same guy that has the interior I want, he has all the parts for an 850 race car, rip kit, Japanifold, built TD-04 turbo, aluminum intercooler, performance intake, injectors, etc etc. Should I put that in and juice it up? Vast tune? I will never sell any of the original parts, as I want to be able to go back to stock whenever I want.

If I don’t do that, I will at least buy an 850R ECU and have the R tune, I like a bit more spice.

All in all, I am over the moon about my purchase. I love the car, I love its story, and I love where I’m going to go with it. Unfortunately, I do think I will end up parting with my 240, as I don’t have the room for two wagons and my daily reliable little Mazda. But this wagon is so worth it. I would love everyones thoughts and opinions as this car’s story progresses. Let me know what you all think about the performance upgrades and the interior swap. (I will not be doing any performance upgrades until the car is in completely stock, perfectly running condition and I have driven it for a bit that way)

See less See more
#3 ·
yes!! get the interior...did mine last year... what an improvement (y)

Reactions: Tate2999
#6 ·
I forgot to mention, because I had to get new tires, I got to take her for a spin, about 8 miles. Here are my thoughts.

1.) I really thought I would hate the 4 speed, I thought there would be tons of hang and it would feel sluggish: I actually don’t. I think it mates with the car perfectly fine. However, an M56 swap is in the future.

2.) The engine is much more potent than I thought it would be. Maybe it’s because I have been driving a 2.0 L Mazda 3 and 1982 NA 240, but when the turbo spools it is so fun! It’s so long winded, the power seems to just keep coming and coming! I haven’t driven the R in months, but honestly it felt as quick as I remembered the R being? The P80 just feels fast, I think it was Barry that told me that this would happen haha.

3.) The turbo has a surprising amount of flutter, I could actually hear it pretty easily. Is that how these are normally?

Reactions: BenjaminD
#10 ·
If you can find clean beige R seats, I would go for them, otherwise, try to replace them with the identical seats which you should be able to score from junk yards.

The only cosmetic mod I would do to this car would be a R front bumper which is hard to find.

Looking forward to your build thread and more pictures.
Yep, I actually have an R front bumper I can buy as well, that’s the plan. I’ll look out for beige 850R seats, that would be a score for sure

Reactions: TG850T5R
#12 ·
Following, great buy!
I will be replacing the heater core, because although it is not leaking, I would rather do it now than later when it starts. Do most people do genuine Volvo? Or is there a good aftermarket alternative people like?
Nissens or Swedish Car Parts. They both use the improved design.

You should probably get the firewall coupler for the heater hoses too, it has a tendency to break during the job

#13 · (Edited)
You should probably get the firewall coupler for the heater hoses too, it has a tendency to break during the job
Definitely get the new coupler. I broke mine trying to get the hoses out that had never been replaced.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grey Automotive exterior

#18 ·
So, today I replaced my serpentine belt! Again, remember I am only a novice, so I had to draw out the mapping to remember how the belt was laid out.
Rectangle Textile Sleeve Grey T-shirt

the old belt really needed to be changed, it was completely ripped up on the edge and as wobbling and making noises
Hand Gesture Finger Nail Material property

I took a few more pictures today:
A side shot
A rear shot
Showing the condition of the black bumper
Showing just how backed these upper door cards got
And an engine bay shot!
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Vehicle door Fender

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

#21 ·
question about defrost: mine is not working. I am only getting hot air out of my drivers side vent by the door and the channel in fromt of the steering wheel onto the windshield. The middle vents and the passenger vents are completely cold. Are the flaps in the engine bay not opening properly? Let me know your thoughts and what I should be looking for

#25 ·
Wow, what a car. Major want factor. I would love to see it brought back to stage 0. No wings!!!! Nice purchase and good luck!

#27 ·
That exterior is really going to pop when you get the plastic trim back to pure black. I would go with a black interior but that might be frowned upon by purists if Volvo never offered black w/ Platinum. Either way, its yours and beautiful. What does Garrett think of it ?

#29 ·
I think so too, and oh Garett is Garett. Most he’ll say is “Ya did good on it” and “its definitely worth what you paid for it” haha

#32 ·
Wondering if I could get any help identifying this noise. I’m thinking maybe the tensioner or tensioner bushing?? Let me know what you hear. The sound amplified when I took the top off my steering fluid reservoir. This noise did not happen until this morning on start up. Car is running fine though, idling smoothly, no engine lights or anything.

#33 ·
Didn't you just change the serpentine belt? Remove the belt and spin all of the pulleys to see if you get any noise.

Reactions: mattj456
#35 ·
Worked on her a bit more today, here’s what I got done:
Put her up on the lift and gave a check over everything, and I found
1.) subframe has been dropped before, steering rack was replaced.
2.) there were two cuts in the lines to my vapor canister, I fixed both.
Finger Gas Tints and shades Bumper Safety glove

3.) motor mounts are toast, engine is sitting lower than the stance on Redblock’s owned by teens.
4.) the shocks that were replaced by the seller are absolute crap, some of the cheapest crud I’ve ever seen. Also, the bump stops are completely toast, just crumbling.
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Tread Automotive lighting

5.) underneath is so clean, almost no rust whatsoever, completely dry, no oil, coolant, nothing.
I also tried to unlock the radio, to find out the radio was replaced in 2000, so now I have to email Volvo to get the code.
Love this car more and more every day. Took her to lunch

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

#36 ·
I also cleaned up these, all the plastic on it from factory was shriveled and broken, so I cut it away with a razor blade and I think it looks a lot better
Window Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Window Hood

#40 ·
I need to replace that same piece of trim on my black '96 850R. I tried to remove it with a razor blade, but some of the material would not come off clean. I'm going to order that piece form Volvo Austin ($201.00) and pick it up which is about 75 miles away. I tried to get it from Riley Volvo and it was $196.00, but because of the odd box shape it comes in, the shipping was $600.00 to Texas.

Reactions: Tate2999
#48 ·
Another thing I forgot to mention yesterday: I definitely need to replace my sunroof trim, I think there have been leaks in the past, with some water spots on the headliner. Is that a Volvo only part?

#50 ·
The documents I linked previously have details on the error codes.

On the 4-1-4 and 4-1-7, those are the small temp sensors above the front doors. They're covered by small 1" square vented covers. They have little fans in them that get blocked by foam/debris/etc. Those are probably a simple fix.

#51 ·
Fantastic! Thanks so much, yes I’ve been looking over those, thank you so much for attaching those, they are a huge help! Hope you’re having a great Sunday