SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
441 - 460 of 586 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Wagon, 1982 Volvo 245, 2007 Volvo V70R- SOLD, 1990 Volvo 760 Turbo-SOLD
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
So tomorrow I guess I will maybe have to link in a new plug? This would be a good opportunity to justify getting a new turbo even though my wallet doesn’t like it…idk I’ve been thinking too much today lol

·
Registered
1996 Volvo 850 Platinum Wagon, 1982 Volvo 245, 2007 Volvo V70R- SOLD, 1990 Volvo 760 Turbo-SOLD
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #443 ·
Yeah what do the wires look like under that tape?
I think I’m going to dig into it tonight and cut that away, just waiting for the gf to go to bed haha

Reactions: mattj456

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·
Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire

It honestly looks ok…

·
Registered
18,436 Posts
Check with a multimeter

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
This might be a long shot,,,,, hook up a fuel pressure gauge and tape it to the windshield. Go drive it and see if pressure drops under boost. Might have a weak fuel pump, I did on my R

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
That grey TCV is still the wrong TCV.

Total baseline: connect the wastegate actuator nipple to the compressor boost reference nipple directly.

You have a few overlapping issues here. Stuttering/breakup under load is generally unrelated to the turbocharger itself, is a symptom of knock, spark blowout or fueling issue.

·
Registered
18,436 Posts
could also be cam and/or crank sensor issue

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
This might be a long shot,,,,, hook up a fuel pressure gauge and tape it to the windshield. Go drive it and see if pressure drops under boost. Might have a weak fuel pump, I did on my R
Definitely need to check on my fuel pump, especially with it sitting for so long

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
That grey TCV is still the wrong TCV.

Total baseline: connect the wastegate actuator nipple to the compressor boost reference nipple directly.

You have a few overlapping issues here. Stuttering/breakup under load is generally unrelated to the turbocharger itself, is a symptom of knock, spark blowout or fueling issue.
Ok I will try this, I’m a tad confused on the compressor boost reference nipple, which nipple is that?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #451 ·

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
Ok I will try this, I’m a tad confused on the compressor boost reference nipple, which nipple is that?
Only nipple on the compressor housing

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
Only nipple on the compressor housing
Gotcha. I had a hard time getting my large hands up underneath past the axle and everything, any tricks to getting to it?

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
Gotcha. I had a hard time getting my large hands up underneath past the axle and everything, any tricks to getting to it?
Access from the top. Pull intake snorkel.

·
Registered
411 Posts
These are the exact symptoms I had on my 850R, the cbv was torn so I replaced that and nothing changed. I adjusted the wastegate back to factory (6psi iirc) and all good full boost again. It was 6-7 turn out of spec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
These are the exact symptoms I had on my 850R, the cbv was torn so I replaced that and nothing changed. I adjusted the wastegate back to factory (6psi iirc) and all good full boost again. It was 6-7 turn out of spec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for telling me that! I am banking on that being the issue, but I am going to work through everything, from fuel pressure to all my plugs. I’ve ordered a new CBV diaphragm as well. I’ve never adjusted a wastegate before, so I will have to have watch some videos to make sure I don’t screw it up lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
#1 Make sure your wastegate is properly adjusted.

#2 Try disconnecting the vacuum line from the wastegate completely (plug it so you don't have a leak)... as in, wastegate is closed during driving.

I think your car is still an auto, so put it in Low, and drive it. gradually apply the accelerator to see if you can build boost past your previous max - but - you don't want this thing to build 15-18 psi like this. This is purely a diagnostic measure to ensure you have no boost leaks and your vehicle is mechanically able to build boost. You obviously can't drive the car like this long-term and doing this has inherent risks...

Additionally, as scottish said, you very likely have overlapping issues. As such is the case with old cars.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·
#1 Make sure your wastegate is properly adjusted.

#2 Try disconnecting the vacuum line from the wastegate completely (plug it so you don't have a leak)... as in, wastegate is closed during driving.

I think your car is still an auto, so put it in Low, and drive it. gradually apply the accelerator to see if you can build boost past your previous max - but - you don't want this thing to build 15-18 psi like this. This is purely a diagnostic measure to ensure you have no boost leaks and your vehicle is mechanically able to build boost. You obviously can't drive the car like this long-term and doing this has inherent risks...

Additionally, as scottish said, you very likely have overlapping issues. As such is the case with old cars.
Fantastic advice, I will work on this today. Today will be my first time adjusting a wastegate, they only have me bolt the turbos on at the shop, not adjust boost 😅. I believe I’ll need some specialty tools for this, right? Like there’s a pressure gauge I’ll need?

another question I had, I would love to install a boost gauge very discretely in my car, as I don’t like the look and I’m not big on pillar gauges, has anyone found a nice hiding spot for their boost gauge? Also, where did you T your line from, and where did you route it through?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 · (Edited)
On another note, I drove a breed of volvo I had never experienced before yesterday:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

A 2000 blue V40 ( I forgot to take a picture and just got this from google)

it had most certainly seen better days: the motor mounts were shot so badly that the entire interior shook on idle, it was in dire need of cleaning, and it was full of crap from a customers long journey.

However, I actually did not think that it was a terrible car. When the car was originally marketed, it was labeled as the car for “affluent progressives”, “intelligent, well heeled, socially responsible, youngish people”.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

It’s as if they wanted the car to say as much as possible about the driver by not saying much at all. It’s so clearly a confused jab at what Volvo should mean to people as the turn of the century neared, mostly because it’s a confused blend of the comfort of the design they have comfortably stuck to for so long, and the desire to blend it with new form that said “look we can be different”. It set out to produce a luxury compact car, it wanted to both appear like it was for the stylish and wealthy, but also wanted you to seem as if though after your Saturday morning cappuccino you went to a save the whales rally, yiy rounded off the day by watching Shakespeare in the park.

In terms of performance, the car kept up with traffic very well, and although certainly not punchy, it was very smooth, the turbo seemed to work extremely well to swell the car past slower moving vehicles.
Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car

overall, this car felt like it was somewhat squashed by a fast changing world. It was an educational attempt by Volvo, especially for the North American market. I feel that this car was outdated before it was able to get up and run (this also coming from a guy that was not even 1 by the time this particular example I drove drove off the line, a line that came from the same plant as the 300 series interestingly enough).

another awesome opportunity for me to learn about Volvos history! Please tell me what your experiences have been with these cars! Sorry for weaving this in with my 850 thread, I just like Volvo history and enjoy hearing peoples thoughts on it’s unique heritage.

441 - 460 of 586 Posts