SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, so I have owned my 04 V70R for about three months now and am beginning to get the modding itch. Let me go ahead by saying I have a fast car and do not expect this car to be that. What i expect from the car is to be a comfortable reliable DD that gets me where i need to go. So what I am asking for are reliable modifications that are improvements on what is already there. The car is at stage zero and I have fixed all known problems with the car from when i bought it. I was wondering what tires everyone on here normally runs for a start. Again if anything I would be more interested in things that will improve on the car but not sacrifice the reliability that it has. Here are some pictures of the car because i know everyone lovesss pictures the 2nd is a link to a gallery.

http://imgur.com/a/PJyX4

·
2,521 Posts
So you've done a full stage 0? PCV, ignition, fuel system, fluids? Other than that I would tint them front winders to protect the leather. Then I would get a Snabb turbo intake so it isnt gasping for air all the time. If you are gona DD it, you'll be spending most yo $$$ on keeping it running. Maybe a strut brace and a poly trans mount (if its a manual) would make it handle better

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
IPD swaybars are probably the best bang for buck mod you can do. They make the car handle a lot better and more enjoyable to drive without sacrificing any reliability. Beyond that, stage II tune/downpipe would be logical next step if you want to have a bit more power without pushing it too hard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got lucky and the PCV had been done when i picked it up, PCV gauge read clean then it was just a timing belt, fuel filter and plugs. The windows are actually tinted already. I work at a dealer so parts don't really cost me all that much and I can pretty much do anything on these cars now. The only thing i haven't done yet is pull a transmission. I've done just about everything else so I wont really be spending all my money on keeping it running per say, the car also luckily came with a full set of service records from day one. It has a new transmission, the haldex has already been rebuilt, the rear diff was replaced under warranty, all four of the shocks had also been replaced by a previous owner.

Thanks for the suggestions you all have made so far. I'll definitely check into them.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a great start!

It's not a mod, per se, but it looks like your plastic body trim would benefit from a treatment of Griot's Rubber Trim Prep and Forever Black Trim Dye. Makes quite a difference visually.

When I bought my 04 VR in April, somehow it still had the undamaged EBD (Exhaust Bracket of Death) installed. You should check and verify this has been removed and if not, remove it immediately.

Beyond that, you might consider an "R Kelly" intake, maybe some poly mounts, or as Element mentioned the sways are supposed to make an incredible difference.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stage 0, IPD sways, Subaru STI S204 lip, bob-villa upper mount/strut tower mod, poly upper and lower trans/engine mounts.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Downpipe and exhaust is always a cool mod for a little extra power and to let the unique sound of the 5-cylinder echo in your head all day.

R-Kelly mod is another super easy one that makes a noticeable difference. I think sways will be my next mod.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well I got lucky and the PCV had been done when i picked it up, PCV gauge read clean then it was just a timing belt, fuel filter and plugs. The windows are actually tinted already. I work at a dealer so parts don't really cost me all that much and I can pretty much do anything on these cars now. The only thing i haven't done yet is pull a transmission. I've done just about everything else so I wont really be spending all my money on keeping it running per say, the car also luckily came with a full set of service records from day one. It has a new transmission, the haldex has already been rebuilt, the rear diff was replaced under warranty, all four of the shocks had also been replaced by a previous

Thanks for the suggestions you all have made so far. I'll definitely check into them.
Looks like you found a gem!! Ipd sways - sub frame inserts - tune -continental DWS tires

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
To save all the bla, bla, bla after all the above good advice, just check the links in my sig to see some of the practical things I did and how they were done.
Bah! Make your own thread somewhere unimportant - like the 940 forum! :p

Back on topic: Besides the swaybars & strut tower brace (don't do the Bob Villa mod if you have the $$ to buy a tower brace), get out of the 17" Pegs.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Can't beat Michelin Pilot Super Sports IMO. Swaybars were the first major mod I did and it was the right move.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts