SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't it be awfully hard to keep this steering wheel clean?--

No matter how careful you are, I'd think that over time (& not much, either) it would get pretty unsightly, esp if you have others parking your car for you, like in parking lots.
I think if I were to get the taupe interior I'd have to spend the xtra $$ & get the wooden wheel (which I think is gorgeous, btw).
What do you guys think?

EDIT - I just realized that I spelled "Taupe" incorrectly.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by blujeep:
Wouldn't it be awfully hard to keep this steering wheel clean?--

No matter how careful you are, I'd think that over time (& not much, either) it would get pretty unsightly, esp if you have others parking your car for you, like in parking lots.
I think if I were to get the taupe interior I'd have to spend the xtra $$ & get the wooden wheel (which I think is gorgeous, btw).
What do you guys think?

Actually, it is not that bad . The steering wheel does not get as dirty as you think (unless your hands are always filthy in which case you should stick with Graphite) since the leather gets darker with time.

The wooden wheel would definitely look classier no matter what the interior color would be.

Yannis

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
To be honest with you, I just don't like the feel of wooden steering wheels, even though they look sweet. I drove my friends LS400 one time with a wood wheel and it felt terrible IMHO.

I definetely prefer leather over wood, even for the shift knob. It just feels better IMHO.

-Drew

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yannis:
Will the wood wheel be a stand alone option? I don't want the pkg, of which it's a part. Particularly don't want the 18" wheels - too hard to find winter tires.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by kullenberg:
Yannis:
Will the wood wheel be a stand alone option? I don't want the pkg, of which it's a part. Particularly don't want the 18" wheels - too hard to find winter tires.

I am sure you can order one from Parts but it will be more expensive....

WHY do you need winter tires when the car will have AWD and, most likely, A/S tires?

Yannis

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here in the back country of the mtns of NC ( 5500') we get 100" to 200" of snow a year, and my drive is very steep, about 17 deg. Believe me, M/S tires don't cut it unless they are winter rated. My ML 430 has full time FWD with traction control, and Dunlop Gran Trecks (OEM) just barely cut it when new, and this winter are going to be replaced with Nokians. I turn the trac. cont off when going up the drive. It still brakes a spinning wheel, but with the switch off, it doesn't cut back the engine power just when you need it for momentum

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by kullenberg:
Here in the back country of the mtns of NC ( 5500') we get 100" to 200" of snow a year, and my drive is very steep, about 17 deg. Believe me, M/S tires don't cut it unless they are winter rated. My ML 430 has full time FWD with traction control, and Dunlop Gran Trecks (OEM) just barely cut it when new, and this winter are going to be replaced with Nokians. I turn the trac. cont off when going up the drive. It still brakes a spinning wheel, but with the switch off, it doesn't cut back the engine power just when you need it for momentum

I understand...but, on the other hand, the AWD system in the ML is almost crude when compared with the Haldex...

Yannis

·
Registered
73 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

I understand...but, on the other hand, the AWD system in the ML is almost crude when compared with the Haldex...

Yannis

I don't know that "crude" is the word I would put to it, less advanced, perhaps. The ML has a full transfer case with a low range, which in hi range, will apportion torque front to rear as needed. The car that preceeded it was an Audi A6q, which used a Haldex based system, and was, argueably, the best car I've owned. It would go thru all sorts of road conditions, from unplowed snow to glare ice. It's drawback, and the reason I got the ML was ground clearance. More than 10" of unplowed snow - it would get high centered, and all the sophisticated drive train in the world didn't help. Hopefully, the XC90 will combine the best of both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts