SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tap when accel and deccel - updated

When driving my '06 SR, with the radio off of course, I can hear a tap or light knock when I accelrate and deccelerate, which makes me think it's happening when the transmission engages and disengages. I hope that makes sense. Is this something I should be concerned with, the car is going to the dealership on friday for a coolant leak [still way under warranty]. Any ideas on what I should ask them to look at, or just tell them what I'm sayin here? Thanks in advance.

So the dealership says the radiator was leaking on the driver's side, so that got replaced and they said the sound was not the axle, but it was the alternator. The service guy said the bearings in the alternator were going, so they replaced that and they said the noise is now gone. Can't tell for sure, as they told me I could pick up the car anytime before 7:30. So i showed up at 6 and a guy is locking the door to the showroom. I say "I'm here to pick up my car, so&so told me you were open till 7:30. He says, "were never open that late on Friday, service closed at 5". Awesome...so now I have to wait till tomorrow. good thing i have a second vehicle. some people.

Modified by Grendel123 at 9:41 PM 4-17-2009

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: tap when accel and deccel (Grendel123)

Search axle ping. Lots of info.

What you are hearing is the axle splines moving laterally.

The only known permanent fix is to install the Axle bolts from an XC90.

As I noted, you will find lots of info.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: tap when accel and deccel (Needsdecaf)

well thanks for the rapid reply. searching now. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Upon actually getting car from dealership and driving it...the noise is still there. I'm kinda glad they didn't listen when I explained it, as the alternator got replaced for free too. Well, now to spend more time without the car.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Grendel123 »
Upon actually getting car from dealership and driving it...the noise is still there.

As was said earlier........XC90 bolts FTW. Trust me.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60005

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Re: tap when accel and deccel (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

Yep replace wiht XC90 bolts and it the noise is still there you may have an bad axel

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Re: tap when accel and deccel (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

If his noise is a clunk, and not a ping, and if it happens when you're tooling around in first gear, low RPMs, when you roll slightly onto the gas, and then off, I don't think it's the axle-ping at all. I have the same noise, and it's more of a muted knock when I let off the gas, and then reapply slight throttle. I had begun to think it might be that strange strut noise people used to get back in the early days of the R, that was cured by a SUM update for many. But, I don't know where to start either. FWIW, I *do* also have axle-ping, and they are definitely different noises.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: tap when accel and deccel (JoeLvo)

I have your sounds Joelvo. Noticed it yesterday in traffic on I-5. Definitely not a ping... Between a clunk and a click. Currently lacking the perfect onomatopoeia.

My control arm bushings are done so, as long as they arrive in time, I'll be replacing those this weekend and see if that had anything to do with it.

Up next... End link? Tie Rod? Front Left Strut? Seat heater? (that needs to be replaced anyways. Maybe it will help.)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Re: tap when accel and deccel (zabto)

Heh, looks like we have the same work to do, and the same sounds coming from the R. Let me know how the control arm bushing goes. I have a thread started for any tips on a DIY, and redarlt already posted some affirming info, but that's me, I'm not very handy.

I'd say mine sounds like a muted knock. It can be replicated at will, in all conditions, does not sound *deadly*, but certainly not *correct*.

So in a scenario like rush hour traffic, when you have a good rythm so no need to use the clutch (keeping a good distance by accelerating/decelerating in 1st), and in first gear:
--cruising under closed throttle, above idle RPM
1. Throttle up a bit (knock)
2. Let off throttle to coast (knock)
Repeat 1 & 2 until you stop listening, because it's driving you crazy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the same knock sound as of last week. It's not axle ping, since I've fixed that with XC90 bolts ;-)

I am suspecting on lower trans mount. Anyone knows what noises/knocks (if any) are present when that's the case.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: (XeOn)

Replace the upper engine mount of you have 30K miles on the original POS.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: tap when accel and deccel (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
Search axle ping. Lots of info.

What you are hearing is the axle splines moving laterally.

The only known permanent fix is to install the Axle bolts from an XC90.

As I noted, you will find lots of info.

Enjoy!

Doesn't IPD sell those? I swear I saw them on there the other day. Anyone have any idea? I cannot seem to find them now and I believe I am having this issue as well.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: tap when accel and deccel (epicV70R)

Quote, originally posted by epicV70R »

Doesn't IPD sell those? I swear I saw them on there the other day. Anyone have any idea? I cannot seem to find them now and I believe I am having this issue as well.

Just buy them from a dealer. They are a Volvo OEM part.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
Guys, axle ping is not a ping, it is a knock / clunk.

FWIW, on my car its more of a tick-tock or loud clicking noise.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: (Sue Esponte)

Point of information, my T5 has the same noises, and tranny mount (QBM) and upper engine mount (IPD) replacements did not affect it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts