SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first car was a 1993 240 sedan. As a teen on my way home late at night, I was coasting down a hill in neutral. The thing was on the heavy side, so I would play this game where I would put the car in neutral and see how long I could coast before having to shift back into drive and hit the gas. My parents lived near the beach so pretty much anytime I was heading home, I was going downhill. This particular evening I fell sleep while playing this game. I was not buckled and the last time I looked at the speedo I was going a little over 80mph. I hit a parked car and woke up. Walked away with a big bruise on my thigh from hitting the shifter but other than that, I was completely fine. This is a picture of my dad retrieving some paperwork and cleaning out the trunk at the junkyard. Fast forward 13 years and I found another 1993 240 sedan. This one is blue. It's my daily driver that I haul my two year old daughter around in (who by the way, is totally obsessed with Ingrid, the "vovo")

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a 93 245 that was also named Ingrid! I also used to be amazed at how much speed it would gain coasting down hill. There was a ravine on my way home from the office that was steep down and up so I would usually let it ride to get back up easier. One day a cop was lying in wait at the bottom working a speed trap. Sure enough he get after me. My daughter was a toddler then and in her car seat in the back which seemed to calm him down. I mentioned that I was just coasting and that it’s a very heavy and underpowered car so the carried speed was needed to get back up the back side . He seemed intrigued and amused and replied, how heavy can this be? 4340lbs, was my reply( I still have the memorized), he didn’t believe so I showed him the tag inside the door jamb. He started chuckling and said he was surprised that it weighted more than his cruiser and let me go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts