SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soooooo i replaced the radiator in my car like a year ago prior to replacing it it had this really weird looking milky tan stuff that would be on the dipstick when i would pull it out. the last time i checked my dipstick was about two weeks ago i want to say oil is perfect. i check it today and BOOM the stuff is back -__- now im just going to rule out the radiator b/c its brand new all the hoses are good and in the past year i had to fill up the coolant resivoir once (the main hose sprung a leak and i replaced it) my dad said its the possibility of a bad head gasket...:( i really hope its not that one...

other tid bits of knowledge
-> oil was change this past june (5,900 miles ago)

HELP HELP HELP HELP:beer:

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yup, headgasket is a possibility. HOWEVER! Check your PCV. Is it F'ed? There's a pretty good chance that your PCV is super bad.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Also, the dissapearing and reappearing act suggests PCV or you're not letting the car warm up enough, especially with it getting colder.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A lot of people have reported this symptom. Basically it's a little condensation in the motor from not getting hot all the time. Do you every take short trips with the car, under 10 miles? I had it on an 850 a few times over 2 years ago and there has been NO ISSUES. I also seen some of the stuff on the dip stick of my 960. I don't remember seeing it since I switched to full synthetic. if you have any real concerns, drain the oil and take a look there.

What kind of car do you have? Turbo? If so, you should be changing oil every 5,000. Another thing, make sure you are using OEM or Mann oil filters.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I argree here. Watch your coolant level. If it is mysteriously dropping and you are getting milky oil, then I would be concerned. Otherwise I believe you just have moisture buildup in your dipstick tube. As stated above, check your PCV.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ditto above answers, this happened on my 850 and the problem went away when I replaced the O ring on the top of the dipstick could be the source of your issues (car wash or hard rain).
Watch for bubbles (boiling water looking) in the coolant in your overflow bottle and a "chocolate milkshake" looking oil change. Both are serious indicators of a toasted head gasket.
Usually by then however you are fogging the neighborhood when you drive

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rmorse- my pcv is all good doesn't smoke or anything, did two tests run the car for a while leave it running and pull out the dipstick and the other one when you loosen the oil filler cap and watch it dance none of them happened.
xj flexer- my oil isn't milky the only part that is shown to be milky is my dip stick when pulled out.but im changing the oil tomorow after school:)hopefully it'll just go away! lol but i was loosing coolant last year and i replaced my head gasket and everything went back to normal!
rspi- so i have a 1995 850 TURBO wagon and i do take alot of short trips like drving everyday to and from school (18 miles to and from (9 miles each way lol yay for math)) but it doesnt smoke or anything nothing out of the ordinary it just kicks a$$ like the day i bought it a year back oh and i do use really good filters, not sure on full synthetic though o_O
crazy cougar- i would be ammused if the only cause of that little bit of water is my gasket on the dipstick :D
sooo yeah thanks guys lol this is the most feed back i've ever gotten lol

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wow!!! How did you mix that up. LOL I have done rads and did a head gasket this past summer and boy, I don't think I could ever mix those up.

Our S70 was loosing coolant through the overflow res a little at a time. Like a cup full every week. So, I was loosing combustion gases into the coolant chamber. Drove like that for several months but it was getting worse by the weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts