SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else A) note a higher than ideal amount of vibration from the door speakers, and B) has anyone attempted to, or successfully sorted it out?

I have no major complaints about the hifi in the car, and don't wish to start chopping and changing components, but it would be nice to be able to tame an excessive amount of vibration from the passenger side door, and the fact I don't get the same from the driver's side door suggests it is tamable.

I've got some vibration dampening material left over from a home cinema build, so could potentially use some of this. I just don't want to crack open the door cards and screw around if it transpires it's not going to help.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My solution? I used the EQ and set the lowest frequency to minus two or three or four divisions; the lower the louder i play the music. To compensate, Mid bass is set to plus 5 or 6. I'll take some pictures. But with this setting I can max the volume, have really good bass, and no rattle / breakup.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
My solution? I used the EQ and set the lowest frequency to minus two or three or four divisions; the lower the louder i play the music. To compensate, Mid bass is set to plus 5 or 6. I'll take some pictures. But with this setting I can max the volume, have really good bass, and no rattle / breakup.
Looking forward to your pics. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
Does anyone else A) note a higher than ideal amount of vibration from the door speakers, and B) has anyone attempted to, or successfully sorted it out?

I have no major complaints about the hifi in the car, and don't wish to start chopping and changing components, but it would be nice to be able to tame an excessive amount of vibration from the passenger side door, and the fact I don't get the same from the driver's side door suggests it is tamable.

I've got some vibration dampening material left over from a home cinema build, so could potentially use some of this. I just don't want to crack open the door cards and screw around if it transpires it's not going to help.
I would offer that you can you can use your sound dampening material to cover the inside of the door panel, not the door, the panel. The vibration is more technically a resonation. If you can substantially change the natural frequency and energy required to cause the resonation, you can eliminate it. In my experience sound deadening my V70R, this consists of a heavy butyl rubber with a foil backing and adhesive front. Plaster that on your door panel and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did experiment with the EQ a little but couldn't find a happy compromise between acceptable bass and no vibration, though in terms of the former I'm probably a bit spoiled by the hifi in my other car, so that won't help matters. Knocking the EQ back does feel a bit like giving up though.

The dampening material is Tecsound SY50, no foil backing and just mass (and lots of it), so should in theory be perfect if I can get it in the right place, I'm just hesitant with regards to removing the door panel and potentially breaking some hidden clips or the like - did you do your V70 yourself, and was it pretty straightforward to whip off the panel, and get it back on?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I did experiment with the EQ a little but couldn't find a happy compromise between acceptable bass and no vibration, though in terms of the former I'm probably a bit spoiled by the hifi in my other car, so that won't help matters. Knocking the EQ back does feel a bit like giving up though.

The dampening material is Tecsound SY50, no foil backing and just mass (and lots of it), so should in theory be perfect if I can get it in the right place, I'm just hesitant with regards to removing the door panel and potentially breaking some hidden clips or the like - did you do your V70 yourself, and was it pretty straightforward to whip off the panel, and get it back on?
It is giving up and unacceptable.

Since we all have the same issue caused by the use of crap quality parts, my intention that I would suggest every one else follow is to get the door drivers replaced at every service visit. It won't solve the problem until Volvo wakes up and starts supplying appropriate quality parts that don't have this problem. Then we can cease and desist.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Piling on....rattle fest for me too. Enya could probably produce the aforementioned vibrations in my car, damn good thing I'm not into gangster rap.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts

I did my V70R myself and it was extensive. All doors, and included the underside of the cargo area.

Luckily, Volvo makes removing door panels pretty easy. They are held by plastic rivets with center pins that are pushed out to release the rivets. There is no worry of breaking clips. And even if you did, clips are easy to replace. The plastic rivets are re-usable. You simply collect the pins and replace by tapping them into place with the same plastic rivets.

Sound deadening the doors on my R was the absolute best thing I did for sound quality, aside from the aftermarket sub and amp install I did in the factory spare tire location. I have no doubt the same result would be achieved in this vehicle.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sound deadening is always a great idea if you can afford it or do it yourself. But how do we get Volvo to address problem #1, which is inadequate quality drivers in the front doors? And this isn't the first Volvo to have this identical problem... So by now, they should be well familiar with the problem and solutions, but are obviously just unwilling to do anything about it.

My proposal is designed to ensure that they spend as much or more not fixing the problem as they would to address it properly. It's their choice. But asking politely to have this fixed (actually fixed) has resulted in nothing for many, many years on several models.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I cannot keep anything in the door pocket storage area while playing the stereo. Complete rattle fest! Since there is a lack of storage, I am at a cross roads...

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I did my V70R myself and it was extensive. All doors, and included the underside of the cargo area.

Luckily, Volvo makes removing door panels pretty easy. They are held by plastic rivets with center pins that are pushed out to release the rivets. There is no worry of breaking clips. And even if you did, clips are easy to replace. The plastic rivets are re-usable. You simply collect the pins and replace by tapping them into place with the same plastic rivets.

Sound deadening the doors on my R was the absolute best thing I did for sound quality, aside from the aftermarket sub and amp install I did in the factory spare tire location. I have no doubt the same result would be achieved in this vehicle.
I don't think V60 doors are as easily removed, but adding Dynamat is a great option with significant improvements.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a quick look and can't make out how to start trying to pry off the door cards without risking damage - anyone know where maintenance/service guides for this sort of work may be lurking?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I get my 2015 (we won't have 2016 models till middle of 2016) V60 T5 at the end of this month, and will let you guys know if mine has the same. The dealer said they will have it at the dealership on Monday.. what do you guys want me to test?

My car was assembled in Malaysia, parts from Sweden. Where are North American Volvo's assembled? Europe .. I did read about a new plant being built in South Carolina, but thats not finished yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts