SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I hail from the P2 V/XC70 side of things here. I was raised in a volvo-only family and have driven or ridden in several iterations from as early as a '67 122S through a 2012 xc70. My father abandoned the brand for a Honda Element after his 850 wagon kicked the bucket, while my mom remains a somewhat reluctant brand loyalist and currently pilots the 2012 mentioned above.

My current vehicle is her old '04 xc70 which I bought off my step-father for a song. It's been a great car, and never let me down during my 2.5 yrs of ownership. I've done some things to it to make it more softroad/Adventure wagon worthy that may horrify the sportier volvo purists among you, but it's made the car both more functional and fun for me to drive and work on.

With the birth of my second son 6 months ago, I let go of my '87 Toyota 4Runner and am in the market for something new or CPO to fill the gap, and give me that extra assurance a warranty period brings. I live in NY's Hudson Valley which like any semi-rural area in the northeast has become Subaru central in the past 5 years. There are 3 dealerships within 30 minutes of my house (nearest volvo dealer that doesn't suck is 1hr10min) and the dang things are all over the road. I have been looking at imprezas and crosstreks casually as I wouldn't mind a bit less room and better mpg in a second car. The Crosstrek looks incredibly capable, but it's engine is completely uninspiring and I imagine the interior looks and feels like it's price tag unless you go top trim and push 30k which sort of defeats the purpose of buying it in my mind. So I decided to take a gander at volvos recent offerings since, truth be told, I've been a little out of the loop on their line up for the past few years.

I'm not crazy about the explosion of the XC (or CC) concept. I know that's counter-intuitive given that I drive one, but what I mean is, I'd rather see a straight v40 stateside than the monstrosity that is the s60cc :) I appreciate diversity and I think that the urge to "Cross Country" anything and everything in the line-up is unfortunate. I hate the xc60, don't want (or need) the brawn of a 90, and feel like a second xc70 would be redundant.

Then I stumbled on this stupid thing....

http://www.volvoofdanbury.com/used/Volvo/2015-Volvo-V60-d28e31e00a0e0adf3cd072cce37fd378.htm

And I really really really liked it :) im embarrassed to admit that I wasn't actually aware volvo was making a straight sport wagon for the US market again. You NEVER see them up here because it's either hippies driving 240s and 850s or the weekenders in their XC60s and 90s. But i just saw one in the street yesterday and it was a beautiful and eye-catching thing.

So yeah, tell me that's a terrible deal, the car is probably a beat-to-**** loaner, silver is a hideous color, the drive-e 4cyl is better, Volvo quality has declined precipitously since the P2 models, I'm overextending myself And should just settle for a subie; anything to make me just forget about wanting this stupid pretty wagon. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thats a sexy wagon
Being a 2015 T6, it should still have the 3.0 Inline 6 engine, NOT a new Drive-E. Also I see its been Polestar Chipped.
If you have the money id be all over it.

We have a 2015 V60 T5 Drive E and love it. That car is even better.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a sexy wagon
Being a 2015 T6, it should still have the 3.0 Inline 6 engine, NOT a new Drive-E. Also I see its been Polestar Chipped.
If you have the money id be all over it.

We have a 2015 V60 T5 Drive E and love it. That car is even better.
I know! While I've heard that the "bad apples" of that engine gobble oil, it's so well liked amongst enthusiasts I'd love to at least take it for a drive. But I don't have to lie to kick it; even at what seems to be a really low price for that model, it's a stretch for me. I'm also eyeing the one you have with 34k CPO for $24,000 and the T5 premier plus sport package AWD with 24k which is $33,000

http://cpo.volvocars.us/en/vehicles/Volvo/V60/T5-Drive-E-Premier-hzbg35h
http://cpo.volvocars.us/en/vehicles/Volvo/V60/T5-Premier-Plus-wSport-Package-jvbhylx

Both of which are closer to what I was looking to spend on car number 2.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Satchel, I just moved to NC from the Hudson Valley, I couldn't take NY anymore. I've owned five Subarus, I do love their AWD system. I think once you drive that V60R you will be hooked, I traded my 20112 legacy 6R for a 2012 S60. If you trust Consumer reports, they rated the S60 very well and they recommend it. That V60R is beautiful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's a beautiful car. Really, really nice. Sorry, I can't help talking you out of it. Keep us posted on what you decide.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know! While I've heard that the "bad apples" of that engine gobble oil, it's so well liked amongst enthusiasts I'd love to at least take it for a drive. But I don't have to lie to kick it; even at what seems to be a really low price for that model, it's a stretch for me. I'm also eyeing the one you have with 34k CPO for $24,000 and the T5 premier plus sport package AWD with 24k which is $33,000

http://cpo.volvocars.us/en/vehicles/Volvo/V60/T5-Premier-Plus-wSport-Package-jvbhylx

We got a 2015 Platinum in Power Blue Metallic. Had 19,000 miles on it and we got it for $26k. Great car so im kinda surprised they are depreciating as much as they are.
We are yet to have any oil issues, knock on wood.
Mom has a 2012 T5 S60. Honestly the Drive E feels just as powerful, it just lacks the growl of the inline 5. But the gas mileage increase is super nice and noticeable, especially in highway driving.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's a beautiful car. Really, really nice. Sorry, I can't help talking you out of it. Keep us posted on what you decide.
Beautiful and rare. Per the production #'s table Chris posted, only two 2015/2015.5 Electric Silver V60 RDs with the leather/Nubuck interior were imported.

So it is twice as rare as my Crystal White, which I happen to adore. You should get it.

Waginmafia, I added this table to your thread. The source is the 60-series product manager.

S60 T6 R-DesignS60 T6 R-DesignV60 T6 R-DesignV60 T6 R-Design
LeatherNubuckLeatherNubuckLeatherNubuckLeatherNubuck
452Black Sapphire79732%3%69331%1%
477Electric Silver1215%0%1225%1%
492Savile Grey2259%2%1135%1%
612Passion Red52421%2%28313%1%
619Rebel Blue1134%1%25711%3%
707Crystal White47419%2%56425%2%
2232490%10%2012290%10%
Total R-D247223

<tbody>
</tbody>

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

The V60 R-design you found at Danbury, is a great deal with only 5,000 miles on it plus it is a Platinum!

This is a $52,000+ car.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The V60 R-design you found at Danbury, is a great deal with only 5,000 miles on it plus it is a Platinum!

This is a $52,000+ car.
Its just a Platinum with Heated Fronts and BLIS so close to $49-50k....mine with Technology and Full Climate Pkg retailed for almost $53k for 2015MY.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll help!

4 cylinder? Lame. T6? Yessss. So much yes. (sorry). Automatic? Lame (BUT IT'S NOT A CVT +1,000,000 points). I hate black interiors. They make me feel sad. Silver is okay I guess. It's handsome (hell of a lot more than a crosstrek). I'm sure the seats are comfy too. It's gonna be safe. It's really expensive... Look around and see what else you can find?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Bennet, I feel you on all of the above. This may be too much car for me. But it's fun to entertain. I'm considering plenty of options including some MY 12/13 t6 XCs, and the other higher mileage v60s with 4 and 5 cyls linked above.

I'Ve never been a huge fan of silver cars, but with the body lines of the v60 it actually looks pretty incredible. Far more exciting than my silver XC.

I'll be scheduling some test drives in the next month or so once fully moved into our new house. The Danbury volvo deal will have probably walked off the lot by the time im ready to make moves anyway...

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
The V60 RD looks like a great deal but it seems like you have a lot on your plate at the moment - newborn, new house, etc.

No car is worth stretching for, but that's just my 2 cents, YMMV.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Wayne. That's the sage, discouraging advice I was after! :)

would be curious to hear more feedback from the t5 drive-E owners here regarding their vehicles. The thing I think would bother me most is the "start-stop feature". Sounds pretty annoying to me. Is it? Can it be disabled?

·
Registered
770 Posts
would be curious to hear more feedback from the t5 drive-E owners here regarding their vehicles. The thing I think would bother me most is the "start-stop feature". Sounds pretty annoying to me. Is it? Can it be disabled?
I've been really happy with the T5-e. The only real down side to the 4-pot in my view is NVH. 5 and 6-cylinder engines are smoother at low RPM and sound better at high RPM. Personally, I can overlook that considering the benefits. It drives very much like the FWD 5-cylinder in that there's plenty of driveable low-end torque. The 8-speed transmission is smoother and seems less finicky (so far) than the 6-speed that you get with the other engines. Fuel economy has been better than I expected...around 30mpg on my very mixed commute and I've had highway trips in the 40mpg range when I really take it easy. Highway mileage has been in the mid-30s when pushing harder, which I'm still happy with. This engine will never satisfy the die-hard 3.0L T6 fans (and I completely understand why) but I like it for what it is. The only open item in my mind is longevity, which I'm not really worried about but it's a new engine so there's always the possibility of teething issues for the first couple of model years. (I leased so I don't lose any sleep. I just wonder if I'll be buying it out or moving on at lease end.)

And yes, you can disable start/stop by hitting the button in front of the shifter. You have to do it each time you start the car but it has become automatic for me. I only turn it back on if I'm approaching what I know to be a long stop.

Reading about your needs and wants, my advice would be to wait for a CPO car at a price that you're more comfortable paying. You'll save a bunch of money up front and gain some excellent warranty coverage.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I've been really happy with the T5-e. The only real down side to the 4-pot in my view is NVH. 5 and 6-cylinder engines are smoother at low RPM and sound better at high RPM.
I just don't find the 5-cyl engine (one of my two favorite Volvo engines of all time) smoother than the new 4-cyl 2.0L engine....the Drive-E is quieter and smoother.

And yes, you can disable start/stop by hitting the button in front of the shifter. You have to do it each time you start the car but it has become automatic for me. I only turn it back on if I'm approaching what I know to be a long stop.
Or throw it in Sport mode...

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Its just a Platinum with Heated Fronts and BLIS so close to $49-50k....mine with Technology and Full Climate Pkg retailed for almost $53k for 2015MY.
Platinum includes Tech in MY15.5. Isn't this car a MY15.5?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Platinum includes Tech in MY15.5. Isn't this car a MY15.5?
No this is a 2015, you can tell since it doesn't have the radar on the front and it says R-Design on the seat backs.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
I just don't find the 5-cyl engine (one of my two favorite Volvo engines of all time) smoother than the new 4-cyl 2.0L engine....the Drive-E is quieter and smoother.
Once it gets above 2,000RPM or perhaps a bit less I think I'd agree with you on smoothness, but the engine spends most of its time under 1800RPM unless you romp on it or throw it in sport. It's a long way from bothering me but in that rev range I do notice a difference. It's a feel much more than a sound. And even though it smooths out higher in the rev range I think the sound is less than compelling. To my ear it has a distinctly "fizzy" background messing with an otherwise pleasant 4-cylinder thrum. The 5-pot just gets wonderfully angry. Again, does that outweigh the other virtues of the engine? Not to me. For my needs and desires the T5-e is nearly optimal. But optimal almost never means perfect.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zircular,

Thanks for the in-depth feedback. Super helpful. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for v60 CPOs in the northeast as the year comes to a close. Maybe I'll go check out the 25,000 dollar drive-E at Hudson Valley Volvo and see how I feel about it. Ideally I'd love to have AWD, but with a good set of snows it probably wouldn't be be Neccessary in all but the worst weather.

Still thinking about the stupid R-Design though :-(

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
As it sounds like you have never driven a V60 RD, I'll give you some insight that may help. You mentioned that you made some changes to your car to make it more of a soft roader that would anger they sportier folks on here. The reason I bring this up is because the V60 RD has a very stiff suspension. It is most likely going to be too stiff for what you like. For people who enjoy sportier vehicles, it's great, but that statement by you makes me think that this is not you. The V60 RD is a great car. It looks great, it performs great, it sounds great and that is a really good price for that mileage, but it has to fit your needs. I think driving it will unfortunately make your decision for you. You will love the power, but find the ride not to your liking. This has the 18" wheels, so the ride will be the most compliant a RD can be, but it is still a stiff sport suspension.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts