SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the start of an ongoing thread on our 2016 XC90 R-Design in Passion Red, delivered 12/22/15 to Volvo / Acura of Athens, GA. Thanks to Nick for working hard to get the right car at the right time and taking pics along the way.

Specs...

2016 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD R-Design
Color: exterior - 612 (Passion Red) / interior - RBOR (Black Nappa R-Design leather)
Equipment: Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Air Suspension, Vision, Convenience, Child Booster, Pro Pack

Coming off the carrier -

Protective wrap still on -

Check the brake covers...

Showroom pic

Drove away with 7 miles on the gauge...

R Design rails...

A few interior shots...

Heads-up display in action...

So much more to come!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice !!!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Love the Passion Red ... one of my favorite Volvo colors. Also like the reference to R.E.M. ... one of my favorite bands (at least I think that's what you meant being in Athens and all) :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
:partywave:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I normally don't like Red, but it actually works on this car. Congrats!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very nice - welcome to the R club!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words all..and yes beachnut, you got the reference right. I'm a GA Dawg. Red and black combo on this one suits me just fine.

Initial driving impressions after 178 miles:

This an outstanding SUV with a mix of comfort, luxury interior, sharp styling and ergonomic interfaces. The technology can be overwhelming, but it’s so easy to learn. Plenty of power with good steering feedback. Feels planted without too much body roll.

Upsides…

Dynamic mode! This is the most change I’ve felt in a car yet. My old ’08 MDX Sport had a Comfort/Sport button – barely noticed a difference. My Audi S4 has Dynamic mode too, and it’s a beast but subtle when toggling through the settings. Hitting Dynamic in the XC90 immediately takes the RPM idle up to a constant 1000 with a slight growl, steering tightens up and the pedal response gets a lot more sensitive. It’s as if it really wants to go and you’re holding it back, rather than in Comfort or Eco when you have to nudge it along.

The HUD is really cool at first, then maybe a little distracting until I was used to it. Very useful. Easily adjustable to get it into your field of vision. The road sign recognition is super smart and changes as soon as you drive by a sign. Convenient to be reminded with a few sign icon flashes when you go over the limit.

The lane-keeping assist is also really smart. Seems to track the road striping well and gives that little nudge on a solid line and a shudder on the dashed line, unless you use the blinker which seems to override the system.

The Sensus interface is the best I’ve seen & used. Quick and responsive. Pairing with an iPhone and an Android was easy.
…and the B&W bass is booming! Very surprised to hear some songs from long ago with new details.

The engine sounds good, not too loud and some faint supercharger whine. The fan for the climate system adds some whir to an otherwise really quiet cabin.

It's been raining for almost all my miles so far. No leaks. Worth mentioning?

Concerns and futures...

If the ride height is all the way up, without easy entry / exit on, an open hatch comes really (really!) close to my garage door when it’s open too. Gotta remember to not close the garage door with the hatch open or it could get ugly. My MDX could have had the hatch open and it would clear the garage door. I think I’ll just keep the air working and lower it when I park. Cool feature, just takes a few seconds to stop at the lowest setting.

It's been mentioned that the brakes could be stronger. Wet roads don’t help and surprised me once. Pad upgrade sometime?

HUD and polarized sunglasses...not sure yet. When I get the front windows tinted to match the rest, I’m probably going to tint the windshield with clear or extremely light tint to solve any HUD / sunglasses conflicts.

My dealer mentioned a potential tune from Polestar and said since they are owned by Volvo that warranty remains intact. This could be a good upgrade for a power bump.

Tow packages...hoping Invisihitch gets something designed and built quickly.

The R-Design 20’s look great, but since most of the GA roads are nice and smooth there may be a set of 22’s in the future. I’m interested in aftermarket suggestions that are suitable for this size and weight.

So far, so good!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I initially ordered a red R-Design, but ended up changing to an Inscription. Seeing this is making me second guess my decision. (although I guess that would, technically, be third guessing)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Wow! And congrats for not buying in white or black! Seems those are the only colors people buy.
lol Nothing wrong with those colours, everyone has different opinion ;-) I personally would never buy red myself even though still looks great.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Very sharp ride! This is what I had in mind when I first considered ordering to spec. This was before I realized that would be a 90-day wait minimum, so I went with a local dealer arrival in mid Dec -- Black Inscription with 21s instead. No regrets....but, I do admire the Passion Red R Design. Sharp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw a simailar ride on Steingold's site but the timing was off for me. When the planets aligned, Volvo of Athens happened to find one on the way to Atlanta. I think they had to trade some other XC90s to another ATL dealer in return to secure this one straight from Bunswick to me.

Kid's presents under the tree and this in the garage?!

...Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Congratulations! Seeing all these posts makes me even more impatient.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
162 Posts
Congrats! Looks like Santa Red for Xmas! I think with the 22s this would be the best looking XC90 by far. Oh, and Polestar b/c this thing should be sportier than the rest!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts