SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - it's been a while, but I still have my '64, with a B18 and Weber carburetor.

So many people (including on this board!) have advocated for SUs, and I recently decided to go for it. So I've taken out the Weber 32/36 DGEV carburetor that was in the car when I bought it, and over the next few days plan to install SUs.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, or things I shouldn't forget to do, or a heads up on some pesky part of the process, or — this would be great — any step-by-step instructions that might exist for doing it. (When I replaced the engine ~7 years ago, Phil Singher's step-by-step instructions were helpful beyond words.)

I'll be especially out of my element once I get them on and it's time to install and adjust the linkage. (Then there's balancing the SUs - an art for which entire novels have already been written, it seems).

The SUs I got are two-bolt HS6 carbs, and I had them rebuilt by Tom Bryant in Maine. I've got the new intake manifold, linkage, all gaskets, heat shield, linkage mount, springs, water outlet cover, even those manifold washers with the "ears" for the springs.

Any tips appreciated!

·
Registered
587 Posts
G;

I'd start and study a close-up picture or three of correctly installed and functioning linkages...better yet, find another dual SU equipped owner near you, and study a working setup, up-close, and personal! Installing your SUs and linkages...it's not too difficult, much of the initial adjustment can be done before engine Starting on your "good as new" carbs,...and you can always ask here (pix help!)...and I advise you DON'T make yourself crazy about that voodoo "...balancing the carbs..." thing! Heck, if you're within an hours drive (of central CT) and supplying lunch, I'll come over and "consult and supervise"!

See also: SW-EM SU Carb Service

Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ron. Another thing I have to do is install the fuse box I got from you a couple weeks ago.

I've got the manifolds on, and going try the rest today. I think I'll put the puzzle pieces together on my kitchen table first to make sure I understand how it all fits together before bolting on. Just hoping I get the angle / idle / etc. generally correct before fine tuning.

Also, it looks like the fuel line goes through the bracket that's bolted onto the intake manifold, and then takes a sharp 100-degree left turn to the fuel inlet nipple on the front carb... is that right? On my Weber I'd been using a thick (maybe nylon braided?) fuel hose that I don't think would make that turn. Perhaps I should I buy a thinner, more malleable variety.

I've had a hard time finding a video or up-close photos. Wish I lived near Connecticut!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts