SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The deal is done.. money has changed hands

Thank you for all the feedback, and learned a lot reading thru all the forums. As I had mentioned, unfortunately due to a 30% tax increase in cars next year, I had a few weeks to make a car decision and so it was a furious case of mental masteurbation.

Only question now is whether I should get the car Crystal Sealed or not.

I know that there are many kinds, and a lot of the brands are country by country. This is my choice out here.. www.crystalsealed.com

Will post V60 details tomorrow or day after :D Will try to sleep tonight ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Never. I repeat. NEVER buy the sealant applied by the dealership. Spend 1/2-2/3 the money and go to a reputable detail shop.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are not offering anything from the dealership. This CTS shop is the most reputable in Bangkok. There is a line of exotic cars at this place all the time, I drive past it often. Does crystal sealing my car effect the original paint in any negative way? If I don't keep it up, will it just wash off my car over time?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, do it... If you have the cash, totally worth it.
I don't have the cash and am going into the hole to get it done.
The reviews are really good on it.
Greg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's nearly 1,400US out here, 5 year warranty, about 25$ every 6 months to upkeep. What do they nail you for in NC?
Allan

·
Registered
137 Posts
Getting the car and the wheels done runs $2K USD....I think they have a price fixing racket....I went to three authorized installers.
EXACTLY the same numbers.
Then they started talking about glass protection and trim protection...and my head started to spin....:confused:
And it's a two-day job....and it's my daily driver...

So I have to stop doing stuff to the car for a while so my wife's eyes stop rolling.
Thinking about selling my stock 17" Sadia's with brand new tires on 'em to help finance the deal

Greg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are packages her that run as high as 4,300US out here, for 10 year warranty. The 1,400 I quoted was without the RIMs. My main concern is bird droppings, which destroyed my CR-V's paint. I honestly don't even want to bring the Volvo home without some protection of some kind.

Yea, I think they can oversell you on too many details. I'm still wondering if it's worth it or not... there are 3 detail shops within a stones throw of my home and can have the car waxed every month super easy.

With your red car, it's really going to pop. My car is silver, not sure how much it will pop...

2 days is rough, only 1 day job here, but cost of labor is less and maybe that has something to do with it.

Not a bad idea, do you really need the stock rims for anything? Just seems like beer money, something the rain is going to wash away lol

My wife read a lot of threads in Thai, and a lot of people complained that if one panel gets messed up ... that they have to redo that entire panel and it can turn into a money pit of a treatment

I'm wondering if it does any damage to the original paint

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cool....yes, red is actually part of the problem in the time it takes...it'll pop for sure....but they have to be super careful I guess since red shows flaws more than other colors and the red pigments (as I am told...and have sometimes seen for myself) are the most prone to fade over time..

I don't think it damages the paint, it actually puts a protective layer over it.
I'm concerned about the "constanat maintenance" though...best "warranty" I can get there is two years....my question is: What then?

The more I think about it, the more I decide to just hand wash and have a good detail done each spring.
Wifey's '96 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon is red and it still looks great with nothing done to it after almost 20 years...
Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts