SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So during a moving process, my wife took the 26ft moving truck and parked it against the right rear corner of my 240 wagon. All jokes about women drivers aside, my right tailights were smashed, plus minor body damage which i will need to bang out. On to my question, how do I pop out the old tailight assembly, and will I need any glue or adhesive for the new assembly, since I see there is a foam liner around it?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Tailight Replacement (MenardVolvo)

Access the tail light mountings from inside the car by removing the side panels. <p>George Dill

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So I take it that's a no on the adhesive? I removed the paneling already, did that right after it happened.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

The tail light seal will be compressed from years of running hot and cold and would be difficult to re-install.<p>If you need a new tail light be sure to get a new seal.<p>Also, if the sheet metal has been distorted in the area of the seal it will be near impossible to make a new tail light fit and not leak.<p>No adhesive needed anywhere.<p>When installing the new/used tail light be sure to use all new bulbs in matching sets of 2 on BOTH sides of the wagon.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Tailight Replacement (gdill2)

Got the tailight assembly in place. I was able to bang out and somewhat reshape the metal enough so that the new assembly fit in, but it is definitely not flush.<p>The problem I now have is, the wire that connects to the reverse light is dead. When I put the car in reverse, there is no spark when I tap the wire to the connector (my simple way of testing since I don't own a voltmeter). Without ripping out the entire wiring system, where is the next logical place for me to check for a short? Due to some electrical abnormalities throughout the tailgate area, I am thinking that most of the problems are stemming from one bad area, but I already checked the hinges and only the power lock wire is severed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Tailight Replacement (gdill2)

Yes. The other reverse light functions, but the driver's side brake light does not. If I step on the brake, the bulb failure light comes on, despite the fact I replaced all the bulbs, but that has been a problem for a few weeks. Also, if i hit the horn, it will sometimes trigger my rear wiper, so I got a short somewhere in there.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

Troubleshooting some electrical problems requires starting from the source...<p>Check the battery for proper charge, no corrosion and good post connections.<br>Check the fuses for continuity, no corrosion and firm connection in each holder.<br>Check all electrical grounds including under the hood, around the console (under the carpet) and in and around the headlight/tail light areas including behind the tailgate interior panel.<br>Disconnect and clean all electrical connections and junctions then re-connect.<br>Look again at the wiring harness at each tailgate hinge by pulling the headliner away. Keep in mind that what looks like a good wire may be just the insulation with the internal conductor wire pulled apart where the wire has been flexed by the tailgate operation.<br>Rig up a check bulb using two wires each about four feet in length taped to a known good single-filament bulb. One wire connects to the bulb's base and the other to the tiny center contact on the bottom of the base. Solder is better but tape will work. For convenience attach a screw-on gator clip to one wire and an old sharp ice pick to the other to use as a probe into any electrical connection to be tested.<p>Whadya mean, "What's an ice pick?"<p>Will your auto insurance cover any repairs?<p>George Dill<p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts