SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time opening/closing the tail gate with the foot sensor.
Most of the time is a hit or miss. I have to sway my foot several times before it reacts. Is this a common thing or mine is not right?
The salesperson said the sweet spot is right under the left exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Most of the time is a hit or miss. I have to sway my foot several times before it reacts. Is this a common thing or mine is not right?
It is simple straight forward and straight back - no swaying, then step back one step to clear the gate while it opens.

For most Volvo’s, the sweet spot is under the first “O” in the Volvo name. If you have the extra styling kit for the rear, then the sweet spot is on the left side behind the wheel well.

P.S., Your foot should be 4-8 inches off the ground. Don’t go too high.

Mine works 100% now that I do not sway my foot left/right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. We’ve all been there. Once you master the kick it will be 100% of the time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Also remember it is a quick kick - if you go too slow it will not register it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
If you look at the bottom of bumper cover, you can see 4 small screws on it, about a foot to the right of exhaust pipe. That is the location.

Move your foot in like a slow kick, then one step back, both feet, or just walk away, that's it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think for many of us the trick was remembering to take the step back after the kick. That's not really intuitive.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Keep practicing till you get that sweet spot. Also beware, it will also close the tailgate. Just ask my wife. LOL

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think for many of us the trick was remembering to take the step back after the kick. That's not really intuitive.
After the tailgate hits you a couple of times it will be intuitive 😇

·
Registered
997 Posts
or just use the latch . . .

·
Registered
95 Posts
+1. This did the trick for us. When we picked up our car at the FDC, Hans told us to kick once quickly under the first V in Volvo. He neglected to tell us to stand back before doing it or to step back after doing it. The car senses if you are too close and won't lift the tailgate. He described the action as "American Riverdance":)

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is simple straight forward and straight back - no swaying, then step back one step to clear the gate while it opens.

For most Volvo’s, the sweet spot is under the first “O” in the Volvo name. If you have the extra styling kit for the rear, then the sweet spot is on the left side behind the wheel well.

P.S., Your foot should be 4-8 inches off the ground. Don’t go too high.

Mine works 100% now that I do not sway my foot left/right.

Good advice here. My last car had me trained to do a sort of waving sway, and that simply doesn't work. I've got the styling kit, and I basically make a motion like I'm going to kick the car behind the left side tire. It works like a charm. It's different, but the upside is no need to step back since I'm on the side.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Is your car equipped with either a Volvo tow hitch or the exterior styling kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
the sweet spot is under the first “O” in the Volvo name.
wait i've been kicking between V and O. have I been "doing it wrong" this whole time?

After the tailgate hits you a couple of times it will be intuitive 😇
lol. It's even funnier when the kids are standing right now and they get bonked cause they don't listen.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
@tonyc

Your shoe size may vary.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The exterior styling kit moves the sensor to the left side of the rear bumper, and I actually found it to be FAR more reliable than when I didn't have the styling kit installed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just spent 5 minutes looking like an idiot in my driveway with lame left-foot kicks directed at my tail pipe. I'm pretty sure this feature isn't working right haha. I guess the styling kit makes the car look cool, but makes the driver look like a dolt.

The salesperson had trouble as well when we took delivery of the car. He accidentally kicked the bumper a couple of times while flinging about trying to activate the sensor.

It's kind of annoying the dealers have no way to easily troubleshoot if this sensor is detecting motion in a standard way. Like I figure Volvo would publish a TSB advising on a standard procedure that should either work 100% of the time or provide a failure-assessment.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just spent 5 minutes looking like an idiot in my driveway with lame left-foot kicks directed at my tail pipe. I'm pretty sure this feature isn't working right haha. I guess the styling kit makes the car look cool, but makes the driver look like a dolt.

The salesperson had trouble as well when we took delivery of the car. He accidentally kicked the bumper a couple of times while flinging about trying to activate the sensor.

It's kind of annoying the dealers have no way to easily troubleshoot if this sensor is detecting motion in a standard way. Like I figure Volvo would publish a TSB advising on a standard procedure that should either work 100% of the time or provide a failure-assessment.
with the styling kit, the sensor is moved to a different location. moved to behind left rear wheel, have not tried this version myself, do not have any tips other than it is not where it is on most volvos
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/suppor...ening-closing-the-tailgate-with-foot-movement

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was flammoxed when I got my V60 initially, and the dealership couldn't figure it out either. We were flinging legs all over the place under the bumper.
Finally we figured it out. Stand between the first V and O. Sweep your foot across under the bumper... And step back. If you don't step back, the trunk lid will not open

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Keep practicing till you get that sweet spot. Also beware, it will also close the tailgate. Just ask my wife. LOL
:D , my wife got hit few times while unloading stuff from the trunk, the net result, unloading is my job now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts