SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 auto 240 sedan. I got a tach out of an older model 240 at the yard which replaces the clock next to the speedo. My question is, are there wires already behind the clock to hook up the tach? If so.....which one goes where? And if not........how do I hook it up. Thanks guys.<p>socalsean<br>1992 240, 113,000miles and counting

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: Taco-meter installation (socalsean)

There is a wire back in there for the tach. There should also be a wiring harness that goes to other points for the small clock. I don't recall there being anything else.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: Taco-meter installation ([email protected])

The main harness to the instrument cluster has an unused red wire with a white stripe. It has a spade connector on the end with a plastic insulator around it. This should be plugged into the terminal marked '1' on the tachometer. Usually it's the lone connector at the bottom. There is also a 3-prong connection at the top, which as George mentioned, supplies the small clock with power and ground for the gauge and bulb.<p>If you want to hook up a small clock but you don't have the pre-made harness, you can run wires yourself. On the tach, the 3 connectors are labeled 30, 31, & 58. 30 provides 12V power to the gauge ('+' on the clock). 31 provides ground (either 'T' or '-' on the clock). 58 goes to the light bulb and provides power via the rheostat which allows you to dim all gauge lighting. The bulb is grounded through the metal case of the clock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts