SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys had my SR about a week now thread can be found here. She is a work in progress but Im getting here back together and back to her glory. The AWD wasnt working and the PO not knowing what was going on, put in a used angle gear but didnt change the collar and a tranny shop told him he needed a tranny. So I order a collar gear kit from Tasco and started the job today. Took me 4 hours to get it out, not knowing what I was doing so thats not to bad but I left the collar in the tranny until tomorrow as that is supposed to be the hard part, so I can tackle it fresh in the AM.

This is a picture of the Collar Gear and its pretty toast

Here is the new one(those are my nieces hands not mine)

Here is the Angle Gear input threads, how do they look? Im looking for loctite 660 but should I weld it up? I have my machine guy on noticed but i have a Hobart 120v MIG I might fire up. Do these look worn?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes. Its very hard to tell from just pictures what the state is.

Here is the trick - take the collar off of the transmission and look at the shaft there. The two should look about the same, and because of the Loctite the transmission side will have no wear.

Use that to judge the state of the AG splines.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I may be wrong, but that new collar does not look right to me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Also, only one side of the collar gear gets loctite. If you did both sides the angle gear would never come off again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to use the grease that came with the Volvo kit on the tranny side and my machine shop buddy is going to weld up the angle gear side. Also the collar came out with little force. I used a puller and my ratchet and she was out in 5 minutes.

Tranny fluid however came pouring out behind it. I lost about half a court. There were no leaks at all prior too removing the collar so it was sealed up pretty good. Is this normal? I've never read about anyone loosing tranny fluid through the output.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have been wanting to try bedding the collar on the angle gear using metallized epoxy. This should prevent rotary movement of any kind as there would be no play. Would be easier than welding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been wanting to try bedding the collar on the angle gear using metallized epoxy. This should prevent rotary movement of any kind as there would be no play. Would be easier than welding.

Like loctite 660? That was my plan if I couldn't get anyone to weld it up. If I find it I'll do it instead. As my angle gear splines don't look bad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may be wrong, but that new collar does not look right to me.
Its identical to the one that came out and it slide on the AG perfectly and I got it partially on the tranny output. I didnt want to press it on and then have no way of getting it off.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its identical to the one that came out and it slide on the AG perfectly and I got it partially on the tranny output. I didnt want to press it on and then have no way of getting it off.
Then again, from all of the investigations and research done by others it seems like the issue is there's not enough contact between the collar gear splines and the axel gear splines. It seems as if the collar gear splines makes contact with less than 50% of the axle gear splines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm heading over to my buddy to get it welded up now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah. Like 660 essentially. I would probably prefer a hardcore loctite over a weld just because it can be taken off later

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. Like 660 essentially. I would probably prefer a hardcore loctite over a weld just because it can be taken off later

If I could've found it locally I would've used it. But, there was nothing on any shelf in the stores I checked. So welding was actually easier. I wasn't going to put it back together without something on the AG side. So we will see.... pix coming soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes Sir. Got it welded up on Saturday took about an hour. Pix are below. My buddy said he would'nt mind doing these for other people, especially since now he has done one.

Measuring to get the hole dead center of the input shaft

[URL=http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/rrainey86/media/20151212_145515.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg552/rrainey86/20151212_145515.jpg

Starting hole

Pilot Hole for 3/8 hole in angle gear

Finished Angle Gear

Getting ready to weld up

Welding

Finished Product

I used Quick Steel to fill the hole like JanHargis, I had my machine shop guy follow these instructions and shes doing great. No vibrations of any kind and no more FWD burnouts on hard launches. From my research I should be set until the Angle Gear craps out. I actually took it out in the rain after it was buttoned up and all you get is a chirp and then pulls very nice. Before the AG got replaced she would do front wheel burnouts until the anti skid kicked in, not anymore!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Very interesting and educational read! Ive always wondered what the collar sleeve and Angle gear splines look like! Thanks, and good work!! You got a STEAL on your car!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Where are you located? My collar is shot and need a new one welded on.
Is welding the new collar the only way to do it? Are there other ways to replace a collar that someone like myself could do in a garage with no welder/special tools?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Is welding the new collar the only way to do it? Are there other ways to replace a collar that someone like myself could do in a garage with no welder/special tools?
Nevermind.. I answered my own question by reading the thread that you already posted:

" I had my machine shop guy follow these instructions and shes doing great."

That is a very interesting concept.. I guess if your angle gear is already shot you don't have much to loose by trying this.. If you're handy with a welder these seem like pretty simple instructions.. Ive learned A LOT by just reading these two threads! I love this forum!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nevermind.. I answered my own question by reading the thread that you already posted:

" I had my machine shop guy follow these instructions and shes doing great."

That is a very interesting concept.. I guess if your angle gear is already shot you don't have much to loose by trying this.. If you're handy with a welder these seem like pretty simple instructions.. Ive learned A LOT by just reading these two threads! I love this forum!
Yep. I do love this place. My Angle Gear seemed ok and my splines looked pretty good but when the collar starts stripping it seems to take the Angle Gear input splines out with it over time. My only concern was the Collar not being properly seated while welding and it causing issues but it seems like the rod and nuts to secure the Collar while welding does a good job. So from what I read and understand this should last until the Angle Gear internals let go and then you find another Angle Gear weld up a new Collar Gear and get back on the road. But, I would like to try the Loctite 660 method, which I wouldve tried but I couldnt find it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts