SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Went for a spirited rip in the ol’ wagon this afternoon, and after punching it my tachometer needle dropped all the way to the bottom of the gauge. My initial thought was, “oh great, the fuel pressure sensor is on the fritz again,” but I soon realized I was still cruising, the tach was just not working, it moves erratically, sometimes not at all, almost like it gets stuck, before it falls to the bottom of the gauge. Stopping the car, and turning back on didn’t seem to change anything. Will try disconnecting the battery, to see if it’s a computer issue.

See photos. I have a video too, but not sure if that can be uploaded.

anyone have any thoughts as to what this might be, before I start taking the dash apart?

thanks!
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Gauge Steering part

·
Registered
497 Posts
Alternator charging good??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is a test you can run on the cluster to check the gauges and instrument lighting to verify any issues that may confirm a faulty cluster. You’ll need a copy of ViDA Dice on a laptop to run this test tho.

if your in Ontario (GTA) I’ll help sort you out with ViDA.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, if all else fails, it could be the steeper motor/servo in the cluster. I'd be more than happy to help you out with walking you through disassembling the cluster, and I may know somewhere to source the servo motor.

I hope it gets sorted!
Charlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a test you can run on the cluster to check the gauges and instrument lighting to verify any issues that may confirm a faulty cluster. You’ll need a copy of ViDA Dice on a laptop to run this test tho.

if your in Ontario (GTA) I’ll help sort you out with ViDA.
Thanks MadMark! I actually have a copy of VIDA Dice I bought from someone in Ontario a few years back when I was having issues with my fuel pressure sensor. I'll fire it up and see if I can find the test, but VIDA is a beast, so if you could point me in the right direction for finding that test in the menus that'd be much appreciated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, if all else fails, it could be the steeper motor/servo in the cluster. I'd be more than happy to help you out with walking you through disassembling the cluster, and I may know somewhere to source the servo motor.

I hope it gets sorted!
Charlie
Thanks Charlie! I took it for a spin yesterday, and it was working fine driving 'responsibly', but as soon as I stepped on it, it stops working (the needle kinda sticks, and twitches, and drops and then will pick back up), which does have me wondering about the motor/servo in the cluster. Either that, or maybe the sensor that reads the RPM is faulty, but I'm not sure where this sensor would be.

I'm going to run a test on the cluster using VIDA, that MadMark mentioned, and see what that shows. I priced out a new cluster, and was taken aback...I'd like to avoid the $1500USD through FCPEuro, and of course shipping etc, not to mention the exchange to CAD, so fingers crossed it's a cheap fix!

I'll keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks MadMark! I actually have a copy of VIDA Dice I bought from someone in Ontario a few years back when I was having issues with my fuel pressure sensor. I'll fire it up and see if I can find the test, but VIDA is a beast, so if you could point me in the right direction for finding that test in the menus that'd be much appreciated!
Just spent the last hour trying to get VIDA and DiCE up and running…seems VIDA doesn’t see the communication tool, so I’m not able to run any diagnostic testing at the moment…it’s always been glitchy for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks Charlie! I took it for a spin yesterday, and it was working fine driving 'responsibly', but as soon as I stepped on it, it stops working (the needle kinda sticks, and twitches, and drops and then will pick back up), which does have me wondering about the motor/servo in the cluster. Either that, or maybe the sensor that reads the RPM is faulty, but I'm not sure where this sensor would be.

I'm going to run a test on the cluster using VIDA, that MadMark mentioned, and see what that shows. I priced out a new cluster, and was taken aback...I'd like to avoid the $1500USD through FCPEuro, and of course shipping etc, not to mention the exchange to CAD, so fingers crossed it's a cheap fix!

I'll keep everyone posted!
no problem!
I can actually walk you through how to take the entire thing apart if you need to, from out of the car, right down to the stepper motor
Let me know, I have a spare cluster laying around I can mess with

·
Registered
316 Posts
The test is found under the DIM module, then click the “advanced” tab, you should the find the test in list of options that can sort further troubleshooting.

Here’s a YT video that can help point you in the right direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts