SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems I may have screwed up my cluster upon tearing it apart to diagnose two codes that have been showing up in VIDA. I hadn't really had any issues with it until last week (I disassembled it probably a month ago), when my tach dropped to 0 on the highway. It was fine for a few days after that, then it started happening more regularly over the past couple days. It'll randomly drop to 0, then a few minutes later it will just pick right back up and act normal again.

I also noticed I had two bad back lights, one of which is fixed from banging on the dash. The other one does not come back on after hitting it, but the bulb may be dead do I'm not going to jump to conclusions and say I screwed it up. Then again, the other one comes and goes so who knows.

Anyway, I know '99-2000 clusters are supposed to be married to the ECU. Is there any way I can replace the cluster without disturbing the overly sensitive CAN Bus? And also keep the mileage? Maybe more carefully disassemble a used cluster? Plus I'd have to keep my blue R gauge faces, because what's an R without the blue gauges?

Or maybe I'm totally wrong here and the issue is something separate... I've been wrong before. But I doubt it.

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
Cluster isn't VIN locked; you're good to go to swap in a different one.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cluster isn't VIN locked; you're good to go to swap in a different one.
Thanks, good to know I can swap it. I don't know why everyone wants you to believe all these components are VIN locked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts