SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be putting in an aftermarket tach on my old 242 soon, but I'm not understanding the notes in the haynes manual... says to connect the tach to the coil on the neg side terminal, and not the distributor. On my other cars when I put a tach in, I just connected it to the green wire on the distributor...<p>I'm just trying to figure out how a coil is going to tell the tach the rpms, and not the distributor.<p>It is going to be one of the small 3" sunpro tachs from autozone.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Tach Questions... (78brickonwheels242)

How many wires on the new tach? Does it have different settings for 4,6,8 cylinders?<p>George Dill

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has I think one wire for the signal, a wire for the hot, a wire for the negative, and a wire for the light... and yeah, 4,6,8 settings<br>

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Re: Tach Questions... (78brickonwheels242)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>78brickonwheels242</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm going to be putting in an aftermarket tach on my old 242 soon, but I'm not understanding the notes in the haynes manual... says to connect the tach to the coil on the neg side terminal, and not the distributor. On my other cars when I put a tach in, I just connected it to the green wire on the distributor...<p>I'm just trying to figure out how a coil is going to tell the tach the rpms, and not the distributor.<p>It is going to be one of the small 3" sunpro tachs from autozone.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>You must connect the tach wire to the neg (-) side of the coil as the dist wires are only a sensor for the ignition module that switches the power to the coil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, Cool<p>So, would it also be wise for me to upgrade my coil and wires and plugs if I want a little more accelleration? My coil is original 1978.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: (78brickonwheels242)

If the existing coil, wires and plugs are in working order new ones will not supply more zoom.<p>George Dill<p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts